Woman's LEGO resume has people talking

Woman's Lego Resume Has People Talking

When building her resume, 20-year-old Leah Bowman definitely thought outside the box ... the LEGO box, to be exact! HLN has more about her creative idea.

"A college student made a resume out of LEGOs. She created a Lego version of herself, packaged it like the toy and put a resume inside!"

That'll certainly stand out from the pile. Bowman is majoring in Communication Studies at Northwestern University. She says a potential employer asked her to "create a piece of persuasive advertising with you as the product." Well, she literally did just that!

On Imgur, Bowman notes she wanted a "fun way to stand out to agencies" and, perhaps most importantly, didn't want her resume to just be tossed in the trash. Plus, she's always loved Legos, so that's a bonus.

The Imgur post also notes she's made two sets so far and has customized each with the agency's branding and colors. And as WJXT points out, this isn't the only impressive part.

"It includes assembly instructions to highlight Bowman's skills, creativity and initiatives."

Bowman's Lego idea blew up on Reddit with more than 2,000 comments.

As Bowman continues to make more to send to other agencies, WATE tells us she's already received some feedback.

'She's had some great talks with a couple agencies and is waiting to hear back from a few others.'

We don't know how that resume wouldn't stand out, and to be honest, it kind of puts ours to shame.

K. March 30 2014 at 5:27 AM

That's soooo adorable! I hope she gets the job :D

cschz March 30 2014 at 11:12 AM

I like it. I have an advertising agency and if I was looking for new employees, I would call her for and interview. Always an interview!! A resume that stands out is essential, but it is the personal interviews that will get you the job. We must see that you really are what you are describing in your resume and that you have people skills! Good work and good luck!

suekrom58 March 30 2014 at 7:35 AM

Good for her...types of her creative kind are the ones that will eventually bring our country back to the "employment" success we need to justify the tuition these young students are paying to get good jobs!

dimaxjordan suekrom58 March 30 2014 at 8:27 AM

There's NO justification for the cost of tuition! I just finished my master's. I suppose it weeds out the people who aren't really serious.

Richard dimaxjordan March 30 2014 at 8:53 AM

There is NO justification for the cost of tuition and you are dead on... It weeds out those who are not "really serious" and also those "diamonds in the rough". I am seeking those diamonds and put far less attention to those with degrees, including masters. My need is to find people who can think and learn for themselves, cut their own path and not only take my ball but run with it. There are surely, many diamonds (in the rough) that hold degrees and my doors remain open to all. Ironically, diverting attention MORE towards those without a degree seems rather contratictive, doesn't it!

Flag +2 rate up
bmwrjw dimaxjordan March 30 2014 at 2:38 PM

Is your masters in a growth area or is it in a social science? What job do you want and are such jobs available? Both my children have masters and both got great jobs in their fields in 6 months at very good salaries and great benefits. This was at the height of the recession. What you study and what it prepares you to do is a great factor in your value to an employer.

Flag 0 rate up
Dan March 30 2014 at 7:19 AM

Fantastic!

chefjohnp March 30 2014 at 8:08 AM

Let's hope she succeeds. Believe me, there are boneheads out there who wouldn't know a good resume if it reared up and bit them!

Richard chefjohnp March 30 2014 at 8:41 AM

Yes, and because I really failed in school, as hard as it was (ADHD), I could not even write a resume. Inventing products and cutting my own path, made millions. But that isn't what life is (or should be) all about. Now I am offering 20,000 job positions next month and DO NOT REQUIRE A RESUME. The point of this responce is to demonstrate that "scholard individuals" are typically made to thnk only withing the parameters set forth in books (school). There are so many "Too good to be true" people amongst us and ironically, they are passed over for NOT having a paper to hang on the wall. Sad set of rules.

Debbie March 30 2014 at 8:12 AM

She is majoring in Communication Studies at Northwestern U.

amongthefishes March 30 2014 at 10:02 AM

Shows that she knows her target—advertising agencies—and is willing to go to big lengths to get noticed. Very smart. I can't imagine any worthwhile agency not giving her a second look, which is what she deserves. Maybe the "big" shops might ditch it because they have their pick of candidates, but it's definitely smart. Lots of luck to her!

garfygoldstein March 30 2014 at 8:27 AM

great idea!

oujoou March 30 2014 at 5:46 AM

Hope the infectious optimism and joy lasts past the first month at the new job. lol. Somehow . . . I think this girl will do OK. :)

Kate oujoou March 30 2014 at 6:18 AM

I do too-- hope she'll enjoy whatever job she ends up taking. Completely off point, but I have a hard tim replying replying to anything you post because I am so phobic about spiders, laugh. I can't look at the screen while I write this!

sjguu oujoou March 30 2014 at 7:31 AM

There is a great cartoon from the New Yorker magazine, decades ago: old employee showing new employee around, caption “You’ll like it here. . . at first.” Too true, too often!

ElHalcon008 March 30 2014 at 8:08 AM

Nowadays you have to be one big step ahead of everyone else