Woman's LEGO resume has people talking

Woman's Lego Resume Has People Talking

When building her resume, 20-year-old Leah Bowman definitely thought outside the box ... the LEGO box, to be exact! HLN has more about her creative idea.

"A college student made a resume out of LEGOs. She created a Lego version of herself, packaged it like the toy and put a resume inside!"

That'll certainly stand out from the pile. Bowman is majoring in Communication Studies at Northwestern University. She says a potential employer asked her to "create a piece of persuasive advertising with you as the product." Well, she literally did just that!

On Imgur, Bowman notes she wanted a "fun way to stand out to agencies" and, perhaps most importantly, didn't want her resume to just be tossed in the trash. Plus, she's always loved Legos, so that's a bonus.

The Imgur post also notes she's made two sets so far and has customized each with the agency's branding and colors. And as WJXT points out, this isn't the only impressive part.

"It includes assembly instructions to highlight Bowman's skills, creativity and initiatives."

Bowman's Lego idea blew up on Reddit with more than 2,000 comments.

As Bowman continues to make more to send to other agencies, WATE tells us she's already received some feedback.

'She's had some great talks with a couple agencies and is waiting to hear back from a few others.'

We don't know how that resume wouldn't stand out, and to be honest, it kind of puts ours to shame.

K. March 30 2014 at 5:27 AM

That's soooo adorable! I hope she gets the job :D

bobluedke3 March 30 2014 at 2:28 PM

WHOEVER HIRES HER GETS A SURE FIRE WINNER

viperbl bobluedke3 March 30 2014 at 2:41 PM

because her resume was creative? maybe she's a terrible worker

fenwaypark9 viperbl March 30 2014 at 3:22 PM

Like you.

Flag +4 rate up
evaduck viperbl March 30 2014 at 3:30 PM

Look up Synonyms for exquisite. You might learn something. And anyone that needs to use signs like you did with you middle finger surely would not be a person with taste or qualities I would want to hire. Thank goodness this isn't about YOU TRYING to get a job....you'd fail!

Flag +4 rate up
garfygoldstein March 30 2014 at 8:27 AM

great idea!

skaybledsoe March 30 2014 at 1:42 PM

Back when I was fresh out of college, I had a portfolio that highlighted my work in photography and film. The theme was burgundy, gold, and black. So, my resume was burgundy, gold, and black to match the porfolio. When I started sending them out, I was met with a lot of negativity and told that a resume should never have color on it and that the porfolio wasn't necessary even though I was applying for jobs utilizing a camera. It seems like a lot of companies are still very traditional, which is sad. I hope she finds a great job because she's clever and creative.

Happypoolprune skaybledsoe March 30 2014 at 2:26 PM

I was a hiring manager for a portrait company - and to be sure - I would have loved to see your portfolio - it's usually the hiring individual who doesn't know what is creative and what is not - but since I had been promoted to the position of hiring manager from photographer, manager, etc - The more creative you were, the more likely I would hire you and give you a chance.

kimconnair March 30 2014 at 1:40 PM

Good luck Leha hope they see you have what it takes. Follow your dream's and never give up best of luck to you.

meemeepit March 30 2014 at 7:41 PM

love love that clever clever young LADY...way to go...and GOOD LUCK.....

cmavrelis March 30 2014 at 6:48 PM

More evidence of Thomas' comment, that the creativity of her actions based on her studies suggests that Thomas doesn't even know what a resume is!

amongthefishes March 30 2014 at 10:02 AM

Shows that she knows her target—advertising agencies—and is willing to go to big lengths to get noticed. Very smart. I can't imagine any worthwhile agency not giving her a second look, which is what she deserves. Maybe the "big" shops might ditch it because they have their pick of candidates, but it's definitely smart. Lots of luck to her!

geandch March 30 2014 at 4:42 PM

You have to Sign In first to leave a comment.is looking for an innovative mind will appreciate this. Those looking for steady plodders will give it a pass. But, in the fickle economy, she shows flexible thinking that might attract new customers and grow a business. Good for her.

cschz March 30 2014 at 11:12 AM

I like it. I have an advertising agency and if I was looking for new employees, I would call her for and interview. Always an interview!! A resume that stands out is essential, but it is the personal interviews that will get you the job. We must see that you really are what you are describing in your resume and that you have people skills! Good work and good luck!