Wolfgang Puck's edible epiphany

Wolfgang Puck's Edible Epiphany

The chef to the stars tells AOL.com changing the way he eats changed his life.

He's the man behind the 15,000 dishes served at the Oscars every year. Now, at 64, famed chef Wolfgang Puck is making a few changes to his diet.

After years of tasting and devouring the amazing and sometimes decadent foods surrounding the rich and famous, the Austrian-born Puck tells AOL.com's Brian Balthazar that he realized it was time to take a closer look at his health. "When I was in my mid-50s I said I'm gonna have to give up skiing, I'm gonna have to give up playing tennis," says Puck. "Because I was overweight, and I never exercised before. I ate really unhealthy. Instead of eating a lot of vegetables or salads and things like that, I ate a lot of pastries and a lot of bread and a lot of butter and so on..."

This epiphany lead to a 25-pound weight loss and a brand new book of recipes called "Wolfgang Puck Makes It Healthy." But, he says his weight loss was credited not to just the types of foods he ate, it was also how much he was eating. "I think the first thing is quality over quantity," says Puck. "You know, we are used, in America, to eat these huge portions. You don't have to eat that much to feel good. I tell everybody, if you eat dinner, you have to eat just enough so you can make love when you go home. Not fall asleep in front of your TV."

The chef got rid of his soft belly, but maintains a soft heart while talking about family. When asked if he beams with pride over his reputation as the Hollywood chef, Puck took a step back saying, "If I would put something on my tombstone... if my kids write on it 'Wolfgang was a great father' that would be the biggest thing."

Wolfgang Puck's new book "Wolfgang Puck Makes It Healthy" is available right now.

souleb March 29 2014 at 9:13 AM

I found stay away from wheat and corn -- Its in everything. Its hard to do but oat meal, rice and meats and vegies Not bad.

ROBO BROTHERS March 29 2014 at 10:00 AM

I hope all the other famous chefs follow wolfgang puck and confess they do not eat everyday what they cook on tv. It's impossible to eat a rich diet how they cook. Always in moderation and healthy and once in a while you can always stray and have some old rich favorites. Have an awsome day everyone. Bon Appetitto!

Rich March 29 2014 at 9:56 AM

I believe the portions served in restaurants are too large and encourage us to eat more than is necessary. We must be aware of this and leave food on the plate when necessary.

Kathy Rich March 29 2014 at 4:17 PM

We ask for take out containers when we get our meal. We take half of our meal home for the next days lunch.

VegCon March 29 2014 at 8:47 AM

Wolfgang is right on!

Paul FIQUET March 29 2014 at 8:36 AM

Most people go out to eat in a restaurant to enjoy good food not to diet on veggies and water...just don't go out so much and restrict your intake...good tasting food is prepared with good ingredients and that is cream...butter...sugar.. a good piece of meat...to loose weight stay away from good tasting food....and eat at home following your diet... good food..good restaurants..once in a while..great..

rcohn95038 March 29 2014 at 8:21 AM

Wolfgang Puck is absolutely a world-class Chef. His food is fantastic. Forget all the pretenders out there, who are being marketed by the media. Many of them are not particularly good. A meal at Spago is something very special, and Mr. Puck is also humble about his work to boot.

mjballou March 29 2014 at 1:14 AM

To lose wight you have to consistently burn off more calories than you take in. In other words you have to restrict calories and increase burn (i.e. exercise). This is a basic, scientifically proven, fact. There aren't any "shortcuts", so get used to it !

Dean Sutton March 29 2014 at 12:33 PM

So lets all do it and quit buying all these "wonderful diet plans". Almost every food that we need is in the produce aisle. And get off our lazy fat buts and walk to the store or farmers market; better yet grow most of what you need if you have a spot big enough in your yard. A 10' x 10' will grow more than you think if properly attended.

trplstks March 29 2014 at 8:05 PM

I had a pizza from his shop in Honolulu, besides being expensive, it was one of the worst i've eaten

Bill O'Brien March 28 2014 at 6:59 PM

Correct! We are used by corporations marketing, selling and feeding people garbage that is called "food". Wolfgang said he ate too many carbs, not enough veggies. OK everybody, back to your bag of Doritos & Big Mac.

russellmgm Bill O'Brien March 29 2014 at 12:35 AM

Absolutely correct. Carbs and sugar, NOT fat, are at the bottom of protruding guts and obesity. Everybody went on fat-avoidance diets and puffed up fatter than ever. Stop stacking those plates up to the ceiling, ditch the pasta, white rice, potatoes, and bread. Eat mainly protein and vegetables, at least two veggie servings per meal, and get off the couch and go for a walk everyday. Then just watch the fat melt off. It works like magic.

viviglam russellmgm March 29 2014 at 12:51 AM