WATCH: Video captures moment woman hears for first time

Touching Video Shows Moment Lady Hears for the First Time

Joanne Milne suffers from Usher syndrome and was deaf from birth. Jo underwent a life-changing operation to have cochlear implants fitted.

On March 24, Jo's bilateral implants were switched on, allowing the 41-year-old to hear for the first time ever. Jo's mother recorded the video that shows her daughter overcome with emotion as she listens to her doctor as he recites the days of the week.

Milne, who's from Gateshead, England, also started losing her eyesight in her 20s due to the rare genetic disease.

She told BBC, 'I can already foresee how it's going to be life-changing and the implants will get better and better over time. I'm so so happy.'

The Journal says a friend of Milne's, Treymane Crossley, created a music soundtrack for Milne. It included a song from every year of her life.

The playlist was then shared on the radio, and the DJ tweeted that everyone in the studio had burst into tears.

WATCH: Video Captures Moment Woman Hears for First Time

Chad March 28 2014 at 4:29 PM

This is really great! I hope she continues to hear well!

rnsreports March 28 2014 at 5:46 PM

Many years ago Alan Arkin had the leading role in a film entitled "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter." He played the role of a deaf man trying to relate to a hearing world. It offered a rare insight into just how isolated deafness can make a person feel. I certainly hope that the woman in this video now feels the world opening up to her in a way it never has before.

Rachel March 29 2014 at 3:00 AM

Interesting that she has an English accent. How is it possible to speak with an accent after hearing words for the first time?

bonheur19 March 28 2014 at 5:57 PM

I am one of the early pioneer of cochlear implantee being implanted on June 1988 and reimplanted on Oct. 2001. I can relate to how Joanne is feeling. It is undescribable...going from a black and white world to a colorful world of sounds. I am so thrilled for her and it is only the beginning. She will hear more sounds as time goes on. Who could imagine that the light switch make sound and the air blowing out of the vent make sound? To hear the water running and the birds singing. I wish her only the best.

anhinga69 March 28 2014 at 6:27 PM

It is SO rewarding to read a happy story for once

Lisa March 28 2014 at 6:28 PM

SO COOL!!! She will now have to learn the English language by sound, instead of lip reading.

Lisa and Ann Lisa March 28 2014 at 7:27 PM

You're right, Lisa! But as a person with a bilateral 90% hearing loss I can assure you that lip reading is not all it's cracked up to be. About the time I think I totally understand someone, arrrggggh, I don't, leading to many misunderstandings, some of them quite humorous. :) Only about 30% of English words are discernable to lip readers. The rest of the time, our brains are "filling in the blanks", and not always very successfully. We also use facial cues...you smile, so I smile; you frown, so I do as well. And, to make matters even more confusing to everyone involved..... we sometimes get weary and just smile and indicate that we "get it" when we don't. This is called "doing the deaf nod". I'm SO happy for Joanne and so blessed that we got to share such a magic moment. :)

d1anaw March 28 2014 at 6:47 PM

And to think there are those who are critical of chloclear implants.

James d1anaw March 28 2014 at 7:59 PM

I'm one of them. I much prefer the vlanillear implants.

roxinwalt March 28 2014 at 6:47 PM