Marriage can lower risk of heart disease

Marriage Can Lower Risk of Heart Disease

Finally, some good news for those who are brave enough to tie the knot. Marriage can actually be good for you ... and your heart!

'Having a spouse can lower your risk of heart disease by 5%.'

'Married couples help each other to eat better, exercise, avoid smoking and alcohol. They serve as a buffer for stressful life events for each other.'

Spouses also encourage each other to go to doctor appointments and notice things in their partner like, you know, snoring. The recent study was done by researchers at New York University's Langone Medical Center.

And according to the American College of Cardiology, married people have lower rates of several heart diseases.

'The relationship between marriage and lower odds of vascular diseases is especially pronounced before age 50.'

The study does note this shouldn't drive people to snag someone off the street and drag them to the nearest drive-thru wedding chapel with a singing Elvis. It's about who you marry, too.

The CBS website says the study surveyed 3.5 million men and women for cardiovascular diseases -- and the benefits were observed among both men and women.

And a different study featured by The Huffington Post also highlighted the benefits of gettin' hitched.

'Happily married couples are more likely to enjoy better mental and physical health than their not-so-happy friends. ... And those in good marriages are more likely to rate their health as better as they grow older.'

So, there might be something to that whole "in sickness and in health" thing.

Marian March 31 2014 at 5:26 AM

There's a lot of bull in that..... Ive had better health since Ive been divorced... I dont have to answer to any one... I can work late hours and not worry about being home in time to wait hand and foot on some slob.... Arguements with a spouse are not healthy.....Some times I think it would be nice to have a companion, again... Just not under my roof.....Go out to dinner, movie, or something, and then part ways for the night....

foru2val Marian March 31 2014 at 6:15 AM

....I almost lost my life when I was married. I saved my life by getting out!!!.....The cheating, lies, sneakiness,plotting of a spouse can send you right to your grave. Some people get married for all the wrong reasons.....Love me Love me not....LOL

foru2val foru2val March 31 2014 at 6:27 AM

Who am I to judge I can only speak for myself and my experience.

Flag +1 rate up
bdonate764 March 31 2014 at 10:12 AM

As one cleric said....Why did you marry Miss X ? Wrong answer....because she makes me happy.
Correct answer....because I want to make her happy. The difference is monumental.

Jickaloo! March 31 2014 at 12:28 PM

Make sure you are married to the right person or that person can actually give you a heart attack.
So to me this isn't solely true. You should be happy with yourself first.

nascar20155 Jickaloo! March 31 2014 at 12:53 PM

yeah!! and when you see your $10,000 credit card statement.

morine44 nascar20155 March 31 2014 at 1:34 PM

Sounds like your spouse needs to find "happiness" somewhere. It sure as sh!t ain't comin' from you. You're too busy watching cars drive around an oval track, Nascar Boy. *yawn*

Flag +1 rate up
dellorin4 Jickaloo! April 01 2014 at 1:22 PM

You nailed it! I am trying my darndest to be strong as I can be.

ros22 March 31 2014 at 11:06 AM

THEN WHY DO SO MANY MEN DIE BEFORE THEIR SPOUSES ?
THERE SEEMS TO BE MANY MORE WIDOWS THAN WIDOWERS

mrknobs ros22 March 31 2014 at 12:17 PM

Because they want to? ;)

hdgoose March 31 2014 at 11:12 AM

Maybe less heart disease; but same results from heart attack and stress from the relationship.

evelyon7 March 31 2014 at 11:25 AM

HAPPY AND GOOD MARRIAGE , BUT BOTH HAVE TO LOVE RESPECT AND BE UNDERSTANDING IN MARRIAGE

wlh1923 March 31 2014 at 11:27 AM

The benefits of a happy marriage are well documented.
However, the detrimental effects of a bad marriage
are probably worse than the positive effects of a "good"
marriage. I learned that the hard way a couple years
into a bad marriage. Only cure was a divorce.

Daphne Happy March 31 2014 at 10:04 AM

I've always heard married men lived longer than single ones, but single women lived longer than married ones. Regardless, the most important sentence in the whole article was: "It's about WHO you marry, too." Marry the wrong person and it will shorten you life. Stress is a KILLER . . . and marrying the wong person is 24/7 stress.

lastandtwo Daphne Happy March 31 2014 at 11:01 AM

Y ou rite, you rite.

m4christ2 March 31 2014 at 12:08 PM

i love being married. i adore my husband. however, i still have heart problems. still, the support and caring certainly does make a difference. it is good to have someone you can love and trust and it is good be someone your mate can love and trust. marriage is good for those who truly love one another. oh, and by the way, sex does not mean love. they are totally different. sex is simply physical. love transcends in the spiritual and will never die.

Handsome Jack m4christ2 March 31 2014 at 1:47 PM

beautifully expressed

dellorin4 m4christ2 April 01 2014 at 1:31 PM

you are very lucky; I envy you! I love that you differentiated very well sex from love. yes, they are two different things. only a very few of the men realize or refuse to accept that. the flesh and lust is overwhelming for the most of them.

dwtomczyk March 31 2014 at 7:08 AM