Deaf couple finds insulting note attached to luggage

Couple Who Is Deaf Finds Insulting Note Attached to Luggage
American Airlines is now apologizing after leaving an insulting message attached to a Deaf couple's luggage, which the airline had lost. "Fox & Friends" details what James Moehle and Angela Huckaby saw when they finally received their luggage.

'It had this note attached to it. It said 'Please text, deaf and dumb.'"

'Dumb' is an antiquated way of saying someone can't speak, but the expression is now considered offensive and hasn't been used in years.

New York Daily News says Moehle lost the majority of his hearing after contracting spinal meningitis at just 17 months old. His girlfriend, Huckaby, is also Deaf.

The couple demanded an apology and said they would never fly American Airlines again. ABC says the airline then released an apology via the media, saying:

'We apologize to Mr. Moehle and Ms. Huckaby. It was clearly a very poor choice of words. We're confident there was no ill will, but we'll be looking into this further.'

REPORTER: 'But James' mother wants more.'
KAYE MOEHLE: 'That person needs to be fired. The dumb one is the one who wrote the note.'

Moehle and Huckaby told Fox they're sticking to what they said about never flying American Airlines again unless they get a sincere apology.

ferey1955 March 28 2014 at 11:36 AM

intent intent... an older person may not know. I just found out a couple of years ago that Oriental is OUT!

mccloudnj ferey1955 March 29 2014 at 4:20 AM

I know what you mean, ferey. I'm 64 and Oriental was always used as I grew up. I still think of it as sounding very exotic. I don't understand why they would object to "Oriental," but if they don't want me to use it, I'll try not to. It's more or less a habit, since it was not offensive when I was a kid. I was amazed when a friend (angrily) corrected me. I had not heard it was now incorrect. And this was only a few years ago.

Annette March 28 2014 at 11:38 AM

I personally would've just let the airline know, to correct the employee, would not go and advertise on the web. I think, just as in the past, personal things, should say personal. The employee didn't know he had just committed another "no-no" by writing that on the luggage. The note, however, should've been removed before the people got the luggage back.

SmallerOnTheOutside March 28 2014 at 11:38 AM

And holy hell ABC NEWS--Deaf and mute is also offensive. Jeez.

shushirice March 28 2014 at 11:39 AM

Deaf and dumb is in the American lexicon just like the n-word. Both are a poor choice of words, and are offensive, but lighten up. American Airlines could care less if you fly with them anymore or you use a broom stick to get around. They're offensive. OK.

uncurlydiybraziliankeratin March 28 2014 at 11:42 AM

I'm so sick of people being hypersensitive and taking offense where NONE WAS INTENDED. She wants the person fired? Now THAT is offensive. It's not as if the deaf woman was subject to some sort of intense public humiliation. Someone who was TRYING TO HELP make sure the suitcase was handled without a hitch. Dumb legitimately means unable to speak. The nice thing to do in life is to give people a break and stop trying to capitalize on other people's mistakes. What an unappealing whiner!

fred daily uncurlydiybraziliankeratin March 28 2014 at 11:54 AM

Amen. Best reply possible and a sad commentary on our times of "everyone is a victim".

gonboyz March 28 2014 at 11:47 AM

If the luggage was lost....unless texted that it was found and be delivered...how would this couple know????

Therefore...how do we know it was NOT written by THEM...meaning "please text ( we are ) deaf and dumb.
Truly possible that couple left out a few words of explanation....and are now waiting to collect.....the airline would not do this. But remember we are in the age of litigation.

gramargo gonboyz March 28 2014 at 3:38 PM

If the couple had left such a note, wouldn't they have put their names, addresses, phone numbers, whatever, on it? They also probably would have said something like "please text us, since we are both deaf", but would never have put "dumb" in the note.
What makes you think the airline wouldn't do this? Or rather than some unthinking employee didn't do it?

macbeef1763 March 28 2014 at 11:48 AM

Sounds like an innocent mistake. I had no idea the term was no longer used. I would be happy to get my luggage. Why should someone be fired if it was truly a mistake. The airline should do more than a verbal apology how about free round trip airfare.

lchurch291 March 28 2014 at 11:49 AM

This story is truly "dumb." I'm sure when AA sends them a voucher for a free flight, their qualms about flying on the airline will go away. Another pathetic attempt to get something for nothing. Why the media jumps on these kind of non-stories is beyond me.

dwemple March 28 2014 at 11:49 AM

In the past deaf-mute was regarded as a socially acceptable term, usually to describe deaf people who use sign language, but in modern times, the term is frequently viewed as derogatory, insensitive, insulting, inaccurate or socially and politically incorrect.[4] From antiquity (as noted in the Code of Hammurabi) until recent times, the terms "deaf-mute" and "deaf and dumb" were even considered analogous to "stupid" by some hearing people.[5]
WOULD YOU LIKE SOMEONE CALLING YOU STUPID?????!!!!!

cgordon999 March 28 2014 at 11:50 AM

Someone called me nerd once. Let's make a national issue out of it. CNN, I am ready for my interview.

World Series