Colbert Report Tweet Causes Twitter Firestorm

#CancelColbert Trends On Twitter
Looks like even some of the most popular comedians can't get away with every joke. Stephen Colbert is now defending himself over claims of racism after the hashtag #CancelColbert began trending on Twitter. The call to end his show was sparked after a joke he made was posted to twitter.

The joke read: "I am willing to show #Asian community I care by introducing the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever."

The tweet started a firestorm on the social network as many found it insensitive. It was in response to a controversy over the Redskins team which is starting a charity for Native American groups.

In response, The Colbert Show deleted the tweet and said Stephen did not write it.

But we couldn't expect Colbert himself to stay quiet over the matter - he even took part in the trending hashtag and responded, tweeting, "#CancelColbert - I agree! Just saw @Colbert Report tweet. I share your rage."

No matter how famous or funny you are - it never hurts to read a tweet before you send IT out to the Internet for the world to see and get offended.

Actor Rainn Wilson - popularly known as Dwight Schrute on The Office - crossed a line when he tweeted a date rape joke, which read "If I were ever date raped I would want it to be to 'Whole Lotta Love' by Led Zeppelin."

And comedian Gilbert Gottfried is famous for his offensive tweeting - which include a 9/11 joke just three weeks after the tragedy happened. And he was actually fired from one job for several jokes he tweeted about the tsunami that hit Japan in 2011.

rodude March 28 2014 at 5:37 PM

Everyone is forgetting that Cobert report, Daily show, etc. are COMEDY SHOWS and not news programs. If you have ever been to an impromptu or stand-up comedy show you would understand. Also if you are very offended, then exercise your right to change the channel.

uptheirons726 March 28 2014 at 1:15 PM

WAAAAAAA!!!! HE OFFENDED ME!!!! WWAAAAAAAAA! Jeez. People get so butt hurt these days over everything. Get over yourselves!

sylvin51 March 28 2014 at 1:14 PM

It's comedy people get over it, that is why we watch it. 'WAKE-UP AMERICA".

Dad March 28 2014 at 1:12 PM

joke

chmdeeringconst March 28 2014 at 1:11 PM

GET OVER YOURSELVES PEOPLE..... THERE ARE A TRILLION MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO BE OUTRAGED BY INSTEAD OF THIS CRAP.. I THINK IT'S BECAUSE PEOPLE JUST LOVE TO HEAR THEMSEVLES TALK AND WITH THIS TWITTER CRAP IT'S ALL SO FREAKIN EASY..

crarob March 28 2014 at 1:11 PM

Oh, you aol lefties are all so PRECIOUS. You're so sensitive and caring. (Scuse me I have to go puke.)

rb March 28 2014 at 6:08 PM

I'm offended by everything.

reharris366 March 28 2014 at 1:07 PM

To damn much sensitivity and politacally correctness going on.

ajl3324 March 28 2014 at 1:07 PM

Just one more reminder of why I deactivated my Facebook account (FB wouldn't let me delete it), and do not have a twitter account. Social media are a scourge on humanity.

DenaliMan March 28 2014 at 1:07 PM

Oh for God sake people get over yourselves. I remember years ago when I innocently used the term Oriental and was quite promptly scorned for my insensitivity. I had no idea it hyad suddenly become a racist term. I still don't get that one, seriously. It's gotten WAY out of hand here.

World Series