Colbert Report Tweet Causes Twitter Firestorm

#CancelColbert Trends On Twitter
Looks like even some of the most popular comedians can't get away with every joke. Stephen Colbert is now defending himself over claims of racism after the hashtag #CancelColbert began trending on Twitter. The call to end his show was sparked after a joke he made was posted to twitter.

The joke read: "I am willing to show #Asian community I care by introducing the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever."

The tweet started a firestorm on the social network as many found it insensitive. It was in response to a controversy over the Redskins team which is starting a charity for Native American groups.

In response, The Colbert Show deleted the tweet and said Stephen did not write it.

But we couldn't expect Colbert himself to stay quiet over the matter - he even took part in the trending hashtag and responded, tweeting, "#CancelColbert - I agree! Just saw @Colbert Report tweet. I share your rage."

No matter how famous or funny you are - it never hurts to read a tweet before you send IT out to the Internet for the world to see and get offended.

Actor Rainn Wilson - popularly known as Dwight Schrute on The Office - crossed a line when he tweeted a date rape joke, which read "If I were ever date raped I would want it to be to 'Whole Lotta Love' by Led Zeppelin."

And comedian Gilbert Gottfried is famous for his offensive tweeting - which include a 9/11 joke just three weeks after the tragedy happened. And he was actually fired from one job for several jokes he tweeted about the tsunami that hit Japan in 2011.

Martha March 28 2014 at 1:05 PM

Colbert was using sarcasm to point out the absurdity of the Redskins refusal to change the team's name and then condescendingly start a charity for Native Americans!!!!!!! It was actually a quite brilliant way of pointing out the hypocrisy!!
People are too stupid to understand his humor as he pokes fun at all hypocrites and stupid people.
In character he acts stupid too to show the absurdity of the Redskins stance. DON'T YOU GET IT??????

fifiwereking Martha March 28 2014 at 3:31 PM

DON'T YOU GET IT??????

apparently not... it takes intelligence to grok absurdist humor...

lindaaluna March 28 2014 at 4:26 PM

Get a life people. It is a joke. When did we get so damn sensitive? Look at the shows back in the 70s.

spikecogan March 28 2014 at 12:51 PM

Can anyone say SATIRE ? He was making a point about the hypocrisy of Snyders plan. People really don't get that? I think he should not have taken it down or perhaps used commonly used Indian slurs rather than Asian to make his point........ridiculous either way....as George Carlin said......

Brian Workman March 28 2014 at 12:51 PM

It has come to the point where people think that life is too tough for they're thin skin!! Get over yourselves!! REALLY!! Move On!!

sarah.parker18 March 28 2014 at 12:51 PM

Every person is or has had a racist attitude at some point or another. Even Native American's and Asians. Everybody at some point struggles with judgments on other's based on race whether they realize it or like it. It's part media, part society, part growing up with influence. NO ONE can point a finger. If you don't like it great, protest and go crazy but don't act innocent.

radarmannoshoes March 28 2014 at 12:51 PM

I don't twitter. I should not even be doing this.

parmador March 28 2014 at 4:29 PM

EVERYBOY, GET OVER IT. CHILL OUT.

jsrfire5 March 28 2014 at 4:32 PM

We've become a nation of over sensitive morons. I long for the days of comedians like Don RIckles. He let no one off the hook, and the people in his audience roared until their sides hurt. He told Polish, Jewish, Italian, German, Black, Mexican, and Asian Jokes. He told jokes about men, women, and children. If you sat in the first few rows, chances are, he singled you out and made YOU the brunt of his jokes. Again, people laughed until they cried, and NO ONE EVER complained.
Now, the mere insinuation of race, sex, or heritage, brings out the litigious a$$holes who had their poor little feelings hurt, or more important, see dollar signs from the lawsuits they file. These people have caused more celebrities to either lose their jobs, or end up apologizing for something that they have no need to apologize for. All of you out there who complain, are the true jokes.
We've lost our sense of humor people, and that is a sad state of affairs.

brisedemer jsrfire5 March 28 2014 at 4:45 PM

Remember when Dean Martin picked up Sammy Davis Jr. and said, "I'd like to thank the NAACP for giving me this award" ? Martin would be CRUCIFIED if he did it today .... but that was the joke. It was SUPPOSE to be in bad taste. It FLAUNTED humor in the face of racism. SD jr. didn't run out and hire a lawyer. BECAUSE IT WAS A JOKE.

I once saw a Tee Shirt with cartoons of a drunk in various poses, falling off a chair. At the bottom, the caption read, "Irish Yoga." I'm a green-blooded Irish American. I'm not going to get my shorts in a twist over a joke. Half the humor is the fact that is IS bad taste and not P.C.

Robbie March 28 2014 at 4:35 PM

How did Gottfried tweet 3 weeks after 9/11 considering the fact twitter wasn't founded until 2006? Not disputing he said distasteful things, but this article should be better written especially given the context about inappropriate tweeting.

siscosdad March 28 2014 at 12:44 PM

Colbert is a comedian. The very scent if Bill maher in a room offends me. He offends everyone on the entire planet, yet he gets popularity marks. I I had slugged everybody who ever offended me, I wouldn't have any knuckles left. The world needs to get over itself. I'm gonna help end this right now. From now on, anyone who is offended by me or what I say or do can suck it up and move on; I'm certainly not going to waste precious minutes of my life apologizing to people.