Husband begs drug company to help save wife's life

Husband Begs Drug Company to Help Save Wife's Life

Thousands of people are petitioning a drug company to release medication that might save a 25-year-old woman's life. "Good Morning America" has more.

'A husband's desperate battle to save his wife's life. She's battling a rare form of cancer. He's launching a social media campaign to pressure the drug companies to give her access to an experimental treatment.'

Keith Knapp told KXTV that two drug companies have already rejected his wife, Mikaela, because the cancer has spread to her brain. However, there is one left.

'That leaves Merck, which has a compassionate use program. Keith has found an oncologist in the bay area willing to administer the trial and a nonprofit willing to help fill out the very-detailed applications.'

Keith started a petition on Change.org to get the word out. It reads: "I married my high school sweetheart after we graduated from college in 2011. Two years later, she was diagnosed with kidney cancer."

So far, more than 200,000 people have signed the petition.

Keith told KMAX their time as newlyweds has been tough.

'It's not something I planned to be doing just a couple weeks after we got married.'

Mikaela has told her supporters she will continue to fight.

'People die from not being able to access these drugs and I don't want to be one of them.'

Keith is using the hashtag "#we got this" on social media to spur support for the campaign. You can keep up with her journey on the "We Got This" Facebook page.

augiee1981 March 28 2014 at 5:42 AM

Pass the petitiom around so more people can sign it even on the Internet
Please

cadre500 March 27 2014 at 6:10 PM

God bless you Mikaela. I pray that you succeed in getting a treatment that successfully destroys your cancer.

Karen Shaver March 27 2014 at 6:12 PM

Good Luck To the both of you,You will be in my prayers.

jljonesleisure March 27 2014 at 6:18 PM

I am praying for you Mikaela !!

Phyllis March 27 2014 at 6:23 PM

God Bless Mr. & Mrs. Knapp. You are both in my thoughts and in my prayers. These drug companies should FORGET protocol. Give it to the woman. Help her out, for god's sake? What is wrong with you?

Anne Boleyns Crown March 27 2014 at 6:23 PM

I have two very personal experiences with cancer. After the second one, I decided that if/when I get cancer, I will NOT be figthing it with chemo or radiation. I'm not saying I want to die, I certainly want to live (most days) but I appreciate the fact that I have lived longer than many and will less than many. I try to be happy every day and to experience my day fully doing what I enjoy and loving the people and animals in my life. When it's my time to go, it's just my time. Too many don't realize that we are not promised tomorrow. Eat right, don't smoke, don't drink, work out and get t-boned by a truck and die. I hope that Mikaela gets access to the drugs she wants to help her fight for her life in the way she has chosen. Strength to her and her loved ones!

Michelle March 27 2014 at 6:23 PM

God bless them during this incredible struggle. I hope someone at Merck has a heart and helps this amazing couple. Its sad that her fate has to rest in the hands of someone else and their compassion.

Phyllis March 27 2014 at 6:26 PM

My thoughts and heart are with Mr. & Nrs. Knapp. Forget protocol! Just give this woman the drug that she needs to get help and get better! What is wrong with you people?!

egrandmag March 27 2014 at 6:33 PM

My heart and prayers go out to you and I am praying that the "powers to be" will relent and give her the only chance for survival.

Linda March 27 2014 at 6:37 PM

Sadly, even if she gets this experimental drug (and I hope that she does), it may not save her life. I find it hard to believe with infinityvoyager that JAMA says people who are prayed for have a 5% greater chance of dying. Going to look that up myself. This woman needs prayers.