'Game of Stones': An elephant comes to breakfast

'Game of Stones': An Elephant Comes to Breakfast

Don Kogen and his team of rare gem hunters were deep in the African bush tracking a Maasai clan holding an enormous gemstone. They survived the night, but creatures attack in the daylight, too.

As the crew rested at the campsite, an elephant weighing about 4 tons blindsided the camp, leaving the men scrambling to avoid being trampled. While most of the team was outside and saw the beast coming, Don had to be alerted and quickly emerged from his tent.

Trekking through the bush

Elephants kill around 500 people each year worldwide and can run at up to 15mph, so gem expert Gavin explains that it would be "very silly" to get in a footrace with the beast. They remained quiet and still and hoped the elephant would lose interest and move along. The elephant rummaged through the site, tossing aside the sleeping bag Don was just using moments before.

Elephant trashing our campsite and stomping our tents OMG moment Don almost didn?t get out of tent in time

Though the elephant continues to look directly at the crew, she continues exploring and touching everything she can find – bananas, coffee, rice, olive oil, etc. Eventually, the elephant gets bored and moves on.

The food supply was decimated and the caffeine supply was entirely wiped out. Although the crew was visibly shaken, there was no time to dwell on the ruined campsite, so they swiftly packed up what the elephant was kind enough to leave them and ventured deeper into the African bush.

Bob March 30 2014 at 9:07 PM

Why didn't they say how much they would be willing to pay for the stone? Because those people will see now where near what that stone is really worth. They will rip off these poor people. I feel sorry for these people. They will be getting the shaft.

Len March 30 2014 at 12:03 PM

The caffeine thing in the story prompts a short one from me. I have an espresso machine and I made a really good latte in a big mug to drink while I was working outside. I set the mug on the ground and went to find my tools. I'd hardly started when I heard a noise behind me. Cassius, the neighbor's Boxer inhaled my gorgeous latte in three slurps.

Boxers are normally extremely active. Boxers on a caffeine high are blurs. Cassius would race around both yards. Then, he would suddenly stop. Off, he'd go again. Stop. Race some more. Apparently, he liked the latte because for the next few days, he'd come up the stairs and stand at the back door, his tail wagging. He wanted another latte.

Picture this: about half way back on a long line of customers waiting at Starbucks stands Cassius, his tail wagging. He can hardly wait for another latte.

StyxnStuff March 30 2014 at 11:50 AM

So...were they going to STEAL that large gemstone???? Maybe they had it coming....

bonnieallmine StyxnStuff March 30 2014 at 1:50 PM

I wondered about that as well...tracking a Masai tribe with a huge gemstone...snort...The Masai are well known in their homelands, not hard to find...and very sophisticated. They are not some jungle tribe never having seen a white man...what a dopey story line.

dowhower March 30 2014 at 11:47 AM

I read somewhere that elephants have bad eyesight. Is this true? Of course, I wouldn't of waited around to find out!

bonnieallmine dowhower March 30 2014 at 1:48 PM

No, I think that is rhinos...not elephants.

williambeasy March 30 2014 at 11:40 AM

...and she'll never forget where she got the caffeine!

Mike williambeasy March 30 2014 at 11:44 AM

The same place we got it!

David S. March 30 2014 at 11:40 AM

Gee, they were in the wilds of Africa, and an elephant showed up........who would have thought? They way these idiots reacted, you would have thought they were looking for gems in Long Island....

donwords March 30 2014 at 11:40 AM

Am I the only one who is sick of these "gotcha" headlines for AOL stories? "Huge Creature invades campsite". Yeah, an elephant. BFD.

moefixit donwords March 30 2014 at 12:51 PM

One of my issues with HP is their obvious need to "trick" us into reading their articles. Are they afraid, or aware, that their writers are not competent enough to capture reader's interest on straight forward/honest journalism?

Where are the Walter Cronkites, Veronica Guerins, Peter Jennings', Kate Adies, Hu Shulis, Christiane Amanpours, Anna Politkovskayas ?

Glenda March 30 2014 at 11:32 AM

It's kind of disturbing to think there's a 4 ton elephant wired up on caffeine running loose looking for it's next Starbuck's fix.

lindiana12 March 30 2014 at 11:24 AM

orbit has the dumbest commercial ever !!!

Invectr4 March 30 2014 at 12:20 PM

So an efellant stole some nana's. Hold the front page. If your going to camp in the wilderness you are the trespasser. The elephant has now learned to associate tents with food. Or maybe he knew that already. Either way his life could be in danger because of this behavior.