Elwood Edwards retires after 47 years in television

You've Got Mail With Elwood Edwards

Don't worry, you'll still hear his voice saying 'you've got mail!,' 'file's done' and 'goodbye,' -- Edwards is retiring from a totally different job. He's been in television for 47 years, the past 14 of which he's spent doing graphics at WKYC in Cleveland.

He announced the big move on his Facebook, noting that he's resigned at 64 so that he can enjoy retirement.

In 1989, Edwards' wife overheard Steve Case (co-founder of AOL) talking about adding a voice to the upcoming AOL software. She volunteered Edwards' voice, and he recorded those very famous three words on a cassette deck in his living room.

He went on to record 'welcome,' 'you've got mail!,' 'file's done,' and 'goodbye.' What started off as a test has continued until this day.

Man Behind AOL's 'You've Got Mail' Greeting Retires

Though Edwards' voice is familiar, most people don't recognize him on the street. 'When I'm out and about, people don't normally have a clue who I am,' he told 'Today.'

Edwards already has a few new plans: he says he wants to do voice overs and graphics for 'Today.'

alspoolhall March 27 2014 at 2:30 PM

Mr. Edwards ~ Good luck to you in your retirement. A few years ago, I actually looked you up because I was interested to know about the voice behind the mail notification. It was annoying to see that you had not received renumeration . . . not a one-time bonus . . . nothing. And if true, I'm not liking that; something should have been sent to you and your bank account!

B alspoolhall March 27 2014 at 2:58 PM

Just curious, but what good will "renumeration" do for Mr. Edwards? (Look it up!)

petal131 B March 27 2014 at 3:09 PM

It is remuneration....

Flag +1 rate up
alspoolhall B March 27 2014 at 3:30 PM

My bad "B" . . . sorry . . . my brain and my fingers were on the wrong keys! Oops.

Flag +2 rate up
Yar ! March 27 2014 at 6:04 PM

Congratulations Elwod Edwards! Have a very happy retirement! And thank you so much for such a pleasant announcement regarding my mail! :-)

Bruce Braxton March 27 2014 at 6:08 PM

From a fellow New Bernian, Happy Retirement!!!!

loamylam March 27 2014 at 6:25 PM

I must say he has the smoothest voice I have ever heard. Whoever gets this wonderful talent will be extremely fortunate. Good Luck to you Mr. Edwards. Your gift should be shared and enjoyed by all.

sndmn788 March 27 2014 at 8:06 PM

I remember my cousin showing me her "new" computer back in the days. But when she
showed me the "You've Got Mail" jingle, I thought it was a personal friend of hers. Years later
I still have my own jingle. Good luck to you. Enjoy your retirement.

stampman24 March 27 2014 at 8:11 PM

May you have a very happy and enjoyable retirement!!!

Souls Ladybug March 27 2014 at 8:15 PM

Enjoy your retirement Mr. Edwards! Thanks for announcing when I got mail, when my file is done and when I leave the site good to be able to FINALLY put a face and name to the voice!! Good Luck to you and all your future endeavors Mr. Edwards!!

jijjhnsn March 27 2014 at 9:17 PM

Hmmm!, now that's news, at least to me. Have always wondered about that announcement. Thanks.

Kelly March 27 2014 at 9:40 PM

Bless you and may you be happy in your retirement! Hope they pay you royalties or residuals for the rest of your natural life!

carocarpenter March 27 2014 at 10:17 PM