Connecticut passes $10.10 minimum wage bill

Minimum Wage

NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (AP) - Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy signed legislation Thursday that will raise Connecticut's minimum wage to $10.10 an hour by 2017, the highest rate for any state in the country.

Surrounded by state lawmakers and officials, Malloy appeared at a packed Café Beauregard, the same New Britain restaurant where he dined earlier this month with President Barack Obama and several other New England governors. The president was in town to advocate for a national $10.10 minimum wage.

After signing the bill, Malloy said it was one of his "proudest days as governor" and added: "It's time to get people out of poverty."

Earlier in the day, Malloy and legislative leaders received a congratulatory phone call from Vice President Joe Biden, who thanked Connecticut for being the first state to pass legislation enacting the $10.10 wage. Some cities, but no states, have higher minimum wages.

"Our message back to the vice president was, 'Mr. Vice President, you can use this and use the states that are marching in the right direction. But we need to do this on a national basis,'" Malloy said. "No one in no state should work 40 hours a week and still live in poverty. Connecticut has put the marker down. Other states will follow. We're going to get the job done."

Connecticut's Democratic-controlled state House and Senate approved the bill Wednesday, with only Democrats supporting the legislation. The bill will increase the state's current minimum hourly wage of $8.70 to $9.15 on Jan. 1, 2015, to $9.60 in January 2016 and to $10.10 in January 2017.

Legislative Republicans and various business groups criticized the increase as another action making Connecticut uncompetitive. The state's wage recently climbed to $8.70 on Jan. 1. It was previously scheduled to also increase to $9 next year.

"Many small business owners were disappointed by the increase last year but partially relieved that the issue was behind them. Suddenly it's back and it's bigger," said Andrew Markowski, Connecticut director of the National Federation of Independent Business. "They must be wondering what's next, and who could blame them?"

Skeeter March 28 2014 at 10:16 AM

My gosh yes everyone would love to have higher wages but Obama made sure that would not happen but now he uses his cronies and fake number to con the American people to drink his Koolaid and follow him like sheep. This is what we get for a man who has NEVER held a job in the real workforce and then talks out of his butt with a little smoozing with a smile and those idiots who say oh yeah Obama is right well then he sucker you into his world.
If you kill of the small business man by putting huge amount of regulations and this killer Obamacare forcing companies to pay for the employees healthcare what do you think the bottomline is his to keep there business afloat. If the economy was stronger yes wages can get higher but Obama is killing that off and who do you think is going to pay for the higher wages id the business man can not keep up with paying out more then he is taking in or to make any kind of profit. The businessman does not have a business just to break even they are there to make a profit to make the business grow and make money for themselfs.
This shows you that we have idiots running our country just like this Common Core crap they are giving our kids that not 1 single person will use it to get by in life or use in any business it is pure garbage and Government control. This is what this who thing is about Government control over our lives. So let's put the true to this matter I will take it from a businessman approach I have a food chain a couple of stores and to keep my business I need to make a profit to be able to make more money to be able to send my children to collage and for my family retirement. Now the law says I must pay minimum wage ok no problem I had to work for that when I was growing up I have to follow many laws to keep my bussiness open I have overhead I have to pay for the bills to keep the bussiness running.
There are many thing to keep the business running then I have to have employees to help keep my business running and to sell the product which is food. So let's say I have 30 employees I have a couple that are managers to I pay a manager wages everything is going great I am starting to make a profit after 1 year in business during that time if a employee has been there a year they get a raise. Then Obama comes along and puts new regulations on farmers electric,gas coal everything under the sun and my business takes a hit because they pass along the cost to me so what does that mean I have to do pass it along to my customers and my employees are affected as if is cost me alot and it hurts my profit margin and I may have to lay off a couple employees. But then Obama has but more regulations and with the Obamacare as a hurt on my business as I already have health insurance for my employees but what the Govenment wants me to pay is way much higher so that kills me into my profit margin and I have to lay off more employees.
My cost is getting much higher to keep my business to make any profit.

jeremy March 28 2014 at 11:18 AM

I have a college degree and make 14 dollars an hour at my dream job. Now the minimum wage is going up to 10 dollars. Why did I even go to college?

Charles jeremy March 28 2014 at 11:32 AM

No degree, I make $25 an hour. Maybe you should answer your own question.

jeremy Charles March 28 2014 at 11:36 AM

At least I have something to fall back on

Flag +2 rate up
kcarthey jeremy March 28 2014 at 11:40 AM

There are a lot of dream jobs that are low paying and require advanced degrees. You made the choice and I hope it was a good one. I liked what I did before I retired and made excellent money. Still I wonder if I would have been happier had I done something I truly loved and made less money.

Cowboy Bob March 28 2014 at 11:14 AM

The minimum wage is suppose to be a starting wage and then work your way up to a higher wage, what happened to education as being a way to increase your salary, not forced by the government. Will this tell the high-school students, I can quit school and make over 440.00 per week sweeping floors at Burger King? But you will pay 7.00 for your burger.

ksndra2 March 28 2014 at 11:03 AM

Cost to employer in addition to actual salary paid:
Employers match on Social Security Tax (FICA): 6.2%
Employers match on Medicare Tax: 1.45%
Federal Unemployment Tax: 0 .6% assuming maximum credit
Other taxes, such as State Unemployment Tax, vary by state.
I am not saying there should or should not be an increase in the minimum wage. I am just reminding everyone that there are costs involved that are normally not discussed.

jamesk5952 March 28 2014 at 11:03 AM

The concept of a 'minimum wage' is supposed to help the 'poor' pay for the basics that we all need to continue to 'live the good life'. What it fails to consider is the overall rise in prices for those basics for the entire population including those of us who retired on 'social security' who worked many hours at much less than a 'minimum wage' and whose social security checks seldom recognize the rise in prices at the same level. Given that the 'minimum wage' is for everyone then my social security check should about double each month.

AMedicGary March 28 2014 at 11:02 AM

great ...... our government is forcing businesses to reward people for not achieving higher goals ...... once again telling people NOT to take personal responsibility for their decisions and "it's not your fault " and "everything needs to be fair" ....... "look, we're going to fix it so you can make your minimum wage job a career" ................ continuing the dumbing-down of America.

johneds AMedicGary March 28 2014 at 11:25 AM

The minimum wage should be indexed to inflation. To have the same buying power it had in 1968, it should be about 10.75 an hour. If it were actually tied to increased productivity, it would be close to $18 an hour, but I digress.

We got sold a bad bill of goods with supply side economics. More than half (and possibly as much as 70%) of economic growth is based on consumer spending, hence driven by demand and spending power. So when folks have more money, they spend more money.

Henry Ford understood this in developing the Model T Ford. Routinely overpaid his auto workers. Why? He said "Because somebody has to buy my product."

Michael A. I johneds March 28 2014 at 12:03 PM

finally someone with a brain. i would suggest to alot of the people on this board watch a little documentary called "inequality for all" and stop listening to misinforming news anchors, crooked politicians (every side has them), and preachers.

i repeat to all the people who think this is a bad thing, please watch "inequality for all". have your mind blown and stop spreading ignorant misinformation.

kudos johneds for being the 1st post i read out of 100 so far to say the truth.

Flag 0 rate up
msgoe johneds March 28 2014 at 3:19 PM

I would add that while your math and reasoning works .. the real hit is that too many manufacturing jobs went over seas ... the replacement jobs became fast food, wall mart etc.. which were really meant for part time workers ... the easy answer for politicians is to raise minimum wages it is much easier than sitting down with industry and trying to figure out how to get manufacturing jobs back here ... that is the kind of leadership we need from our politicians ... its not funding start ups .. its finding ways to bring manufacturing back ...

Flag 0 rate up
hotspringspark March 28 2014 at 11:01 AM

You know what is gained here? Votes for democrats, bought and yet to be paid for....

drepke March 28 2014 at 11:00 AM

The CBO said raising the national minimum wage to 10.10 an hour would raise 900,000 out of poverty but cost 100,000 to 1 million jobs. So this is the choice some benefit while others lose their jobs. Minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage.

Viper1ex19 March 28 2014 at 9:22 AM

The entry level workers who supported this just screwed them selves and they didn't even know it.

Now;

The minimum wage workers will be required to have a lot more experience therefore leaving those right out of school unemployed.

nam2205 March 28 2014 at 9:24 AM

No matter what they raise it to the people on the free ride will stay on the free ride. ,,,,Solution: take away the free ride.