Connecticut passes $10.10 minimum wage bill

Minimum Wage

NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (AP) - Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy signed legislation Thursday that will raise Connecticut's minimum wage to $10.10 an hour by 2017, the highest rate for any state in the country.

Surrounded by state lawmakers and officials, Malloy appeared at a packed Café Beauregard, the same New Britain restaurant where he dined earlier this month with President Barack Obama and several other New England governors. The president was in town to advocate for a national $10.10 minimum wage.

After signing the bill, Malloy said it was one of his "proudest days as governor" and added: "It's time to get people out of poverty."

Earlier in the day, Malloy and legislative leaders received a congratulatory phone call from Vice President Joe Biden, who thanked Connecticut for being the first state to pass legislation enacting the $10.10 wage. Some cities, but no states, have higher minimum wages.

"Our message back to the vice president was, 'Mr. Vice President, you can use this and use the states that are marching in the right direction. But we need to do this on a national basis,'" Malloy said. "No one in no state should work 40 hours a week and still live in poverty. Connecticut has put the marker down. Other states will follow. We're going to get the job done."

Connecticut's Democratic-controlled state House and Senate approved the bill Wednesday, with only Democrats supporting the legislation. The bill will increase the state's current minimum hourly wage of $8.70 to $9.15 on Jan. 1, 2015, to $9.60 in January 2016 and to $10.10 in January 2017.

Legislative Republicans and various business groups criticized the increase as another action making Connecticut uncompetitive. The state's wage recently climbed to $8.70 on Jan. 1. It was previously scheduled to also increase to $9 next year.

"Many small business owners were disappointed by the increase last year but partially relieved that the issue was behind them. Suddenly it's back and it's bigger," said Andrew Markowski, Connecticut director of the National Federation of Independent Business. "They must be wondering what's next, and who could blame them?"

elkcalleraz March 28 2014 at 6:10 PM

Anyone for this is just ridiculous and does NOT understand economics whatsoever. As you raise pay, everything else rises as well so there will be only a short term gain. Long term it will remain the exact same and may actually be worse for some depending on where they live and what they purchase. The only way to bring people out of poverty is to educate them and remember they must WANT to be educated. This is the problem with low income individuals. They do not want to be educated or they would go to school and learn. Pretty simple, educate for a better job don't demand more for less educated jobs.

ssass3101 elkcalleraz March 28 2014 at 9:44 PM

the problem is not the minimum wage people getting more
the problem is the big wigs that are jut greedy and want far far too much
they are killing us all and driving us all poor

drepke March 28 2014 at 11:00 AM

The CBO said raising the national minimum wage to 10.10 an hour would raise 900,000 out of poverty but cost 100,000 to 1 million jobs. So this is the choice some benefit while others lose their jobs. Minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage.

jrb359 March 28 2014 at 10:55 AM

Tired of hearing "That person has more money than me, so therefore they should have less and give me more!" Employers are the ones that put up the money, pay the bills to run the business along with all the taxes, fees, SS, and if any, employee benefits! If the business fails they lose their investment. Employees lose their job!
Don't like your job or what it pays? Go get another one!

jarlopa March 28 2014 at 10:51 AM

yes, inflation will negate any positives so all but debtors are worse off.

rodneyvgt March 28 2014 at 10:40 AM

now everyone will want a raise, I know I do, so the price of everything will go up so the raise means nothing if everything cost more

Brian & Tara rodneyvgt March 28 2014 at 11:10 AM

Yep,

There will come a day when a burger costs 20 bucks and that 40 buck an hr minimum wage job just doesn't cut it.

cptnmtch March 28 2014 at 10:18 AM

I am so tired of hearing how the CEO/business owner needs to cut his/her pay !
The owner of every business puts everything on the line, risking their finances, using all of thier intelligence, EDUCATION , sweat to make a business sucessful.
In doing all of the above they provide the jobs for everyone else- NOW you say they need to cut their pay!
What made America' financial sucess were the Ford's , Guggenheim's, Hurst's, and yes the Walton's providing jobs and and products for amercans and at the same time being greatly rewarded for the GREAT risk that they take.
You take that reward away and you lose the people that are willing to take the risks necessary to keep (get) our enonomy going

GENE March 28 2014 at 10:17 AM

out idiot govenor Malloy, a mini obama demorat, is up for re-election this year, just another freebie to get more takers to vote for DEMORATS

Skeeter March 28 2014 at 10:16 AM

My gosh yes everyone would love to have higher wages but Obama made sure that would not happen but now he uses his cronies and fake number to con the American people to drink his Koolaid and follow him like sheep. This is what we get for a man who has NEVER held a job in the real workforce and then talks out of his butt with a little smoozing with a smile and those idiots who say oh yeah Obama is right well then he sucker you into his world.
If you kill of the small business man by putting huge amount of regulations and this killer Obamacare forcing companies to pay for the employees healthcare what do you think the bottomline is his to keep there business afloat. If the economy was stronger yes wages can get higher but Obama is killing that off and who do you think is going to pay for the higher wages id the business man can not keep up with paying out more then he is taking in or to make any kind of profit. The businessman does not have a business just to break even they are there to make a profit to make the business grow and make money for themselfs.
This shows you that we have idiots running our country just like this Common Core crap they are giving our kids that not 1 single person will use it to get by in life or use in any business it is pure garbage and Government control. This is what this who thing is about Government control over our lives. So let's put the true to this matter I will take it from a businessman approach I have a food chain a couple of stores and to keep my business I need to make a profit to be able to make more money to be able to send my children to collage and for my family retirement. Now the law says I must pay minimum wage ok no problem I had to work for that when I was growing up I have to follow many laws to keep my bussiness open I have overhead I have to pay for the bills to keep the bussiness running.
There are many thing to keep the business running then I have to have employees to help keep my business running and to sell the product which is food. So let's say I have 30 employees I have a couple that are managers to I pay a manager wages everything is going great I am starting to make a profit after 1 year in business during that time if a employee has been there a year they get a raise. Then Obama comes along and puts new regulations on farmers electric,gas coal everything under the sun and my business takes a hit because they pass along the cost to me so what does that mean I have to do pass it along to my customers and my employees are affected as if is cost me alot and it hurts my profit margin and I may have to lay off a couple employees. But then Obama has but more regulations and with the Obamacare as a hurt on my business as I already have health insurance for my employees but what the Govenment wants me to pay is way much higher so that kills me into my profit margin and I have to lay off more employees.
My cost is getting much higher to keep my business to make any profit.

rgrsjolly March 28 2014 at 10:46 AM

Just an FYI. The best way to beat the high cost of living in Connecticut is to MOVE. You're welcome. Don't mention it.

bnapoli March 28 2014 at 9:41 AM

Joe Biden made a phone call to the Governor............ Wow ! Actually gave him something to do

Rich bnapoli March 28 2014 at 9:56 AM

Also reminded him in the call that "illegals" are "already Americans."