Charges dropped against mom arrested for breastfeeding and drinking

Charges Dropped Against Woman Arrested for Breastfeeding and Drinking

Should a mother be able to drink alcohol while breastfeeding her child? "Good Morning America" considered that question after a mom in Arkansas was arrested for doing just that.

Back in November, Tasha Adams stopped to have dinner and a few drinks with her parents.

'I had a beer and then I had another one later on.'

But that's not what off-duty server Jackie Conners says she saw. Conners said that Adams consumed 'drink after drink.'

'Just seeing something like that and seeing a baby that can't speak for itself having a parent do something like that is just unacceptable.'

Conners called police to report that Adams was drinking and breastfeeding, and officers arrived at the restaurant around 11 that evening.

'I didn't know that it was illegal,' Adams said.

Turns out- it isn't. Arkansas state law says nothing about the legality of drinking and breastfeeding. However, Adams was arrested and jailed for endangering the welfare of a child.

WebProNews reports that last week, the city attorney dropped the charge because there wasn't enough evidence to suggest Adams was too drunk to care for her baby.

'I'll say it until the day I die. I was sober enough to breastfeed my kid.'

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, just one alcoholic drink won't likely harm your baby when you breastfeed. However, the organization does advise against long-term, repeated drinking when breastfeeding.

As for Conners, she was fired from her server position a week after calling the cops on Adams. She tells ABC, though, if she had the chance to make the call again, she would.

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

aabmhbetty March 28 2014 at 4:26 PM

Anyone who has half a brain cell knows it is not healthy to drink or smoke when you are pregnant why would it be ok to drink and breast feed? This woman is a poor excuse for a mother and needs to have counseling so that she can learn the basics of being a mother. These are the people that should never have kids. Is her alcohol so important that she has to have it in order to survive? Just dumb.

mountainlora March 28 2014 at 8:00 AM

The real issue to me is how MUCH she drank. Was it a beer, and then much later another as the mother says? Or was it "drink after drink" as the waitress says? The receipt should provide the proof.

David S. mountainlora March 28 2014 at 8:32 AM

Rather pointless now, considering the charges were dropped. Bottom line, D.A. likely saw is was a silly arrest and they were not going to win in the court of public opinion. Seriously, going after a breast-feeding mother? The headlines would have been horrendous, and the city attorney wisely stayed away.

Rene' March 28 2014 at 5:01 PM

I would never drink alcohol while nursing my child. I nursed both my sons till they were 2 years old - I simply did not drink alcohol during that 4 year time span. I think its irresponsible.

elshacko March 28 2014 at 7:21 AM

That happened in a mall where the mother most likely drove to. Was the mother also drinking and driving? Did the police bother to check?

happy2bgridfree March 28 2014 at 5:08 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've seen aquaintances, colleagues and friends who are oh-so-riteous about breast feeding , yet they'll consume alcohol, anti-depressants, smoke cigarettes, etc.

If you are going to do those things, switch to formula. You are not doing your child any favors by passing that crap into their little bodies.

I'll tell you something else: if that woman was guzzling booze while breast feeding, you can probably rest assured she was doing it while pregnant, too.

It's a shame the waitress lost her job.

John March 28 2014 at 8:53 AM

Most of you folks seem to be missing the point. This isn't about a mother drinking and driving. This about a mother who was breastfeeding WHILE drinking. For those who don't know or just didn't pay attention to biology, any and everything a mother ingests while carrying a baby or even while breastfeeding, is transferred to her child when she feeds. That is why doctors tell you to pump and dump if you must indulge, pump ahead of time, or if you didn't know you were going to have a drink...use formula. That is also why doctors hesitate to put new mothers on any major type of medication if she is breastfeeding. Because once broken down and in her body, it is passed on to the feeding child..so while she was indulging herself, then simultaneously feeding, anything she drank PRIOR to that instance...that child is also drinking...

kalyer March 28 2014 at 8:51 AM

Unfortunately, sometimes doing the right thing isn't the right thing to do. Should she have been fired? No. A reprimand would have sufficed. If she didn't agree with it, then it would be up to her whether she wanted to continue working there. As to the mother drinking and breastfeeding - I'll take bets that she was drinking all through her pregnancy and doesn't care how it affects her child.

maa2626 March 28 2014 at 5:42 PM

my wife breastfed and had a drink or two, we have three great kids. a good example of nanny state mentality.

urthatguy March 28 2014 at 1:30 PM

I can only speak for myself, but when my kids were really young, I never had a drink when I was around them. I figured that it was best for them that I be at the top of my game at all times when caring for them. Infants need a tremendous amount of attention. I just can't relate to someone who goes out with an infant and is having several drinks. Would I have called the cops in this situation? Probably not. But I applaud this woman for having the guts to not be silent. Better safe than sorry. If something bad happened to this mother and child as a result of over-drinking, all you people who are complaining about this waitress speaking up would be the same ones wondering how something like this could happen.

userpat7248 urthatguy March 28 2014 at 2:01 PM

I breastfed both my children and would have never drank any alcohol, in fact I had to be on pain killers when my son was three months and I did not breast feed him during that time. Anything that you drink or take will end up in the milk. If you told the police you only had two drinks ( which is what most people tell the police) I would not be suprised she lied and had more.

womlib March 28 2014 at 4:34 PM

Perhaps instead of calling the police the waitress should have cut her off. Every establishment has the right to refuse to serve alcohol.

World Series