Charges dropped against mom arrested for breastfeeding and drinking

Charges Dropped Against Woman Arrested for Breastfeeding and Drinking

Should a mother be able to drink alcohol while breastfeeding her child? "Good Morning America" considered that question after a mom in Arkansas was arrested for doing just that.

Back in November, Tasha Adams stopped to have dinner and a few drinks with her parents.

'I had a beer and then I had another one later on.'

But that's not what off-duty server Jackie Conners says she saw. Conners said that Adams consumed 'drink after drink.'

'Just seeing something like that and seeing a baby that can't speak for itself having a parent do something like that is just unacceptable.'

Conners called police to report that Adams was drinking and breastfeeding, and officers arrived at the restaurant around 11 that evening.

'I didn't know that it was illegal,' Adams said.

Turns out- it isn't. Arkansas state law says nothing about the legality of drinking and breastfeeding. However, Adams was arrested and jailed for endangering the welfare of a child.

WebProNews reports that last week, the city attorney dropped the charge because there wasn't enough evidence to suggest Adams was too drunk to care for her baby.

'I'll say it until the day I die. I was sober enough to breastfeed my kid.'

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, just one alcoholic drink won't likely harm your baby when you breastfeed. However, the organization does advise against long-term, repeated drinking when breastfeeding.

As for Conners, she was fired from her server position a week after calling the cops on Adams. She tells ABC, though, if she had the chance to make the call again, she would.

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

findrobin March 28 2014 at 7:10 AM

Hic...so whaz tha big...hic...deall wih this laday dri, dri, drinkin anywa, anyway?

Bernie March 28 2014 at 8:51 AM

You have to love Mom’s “carefully” chosen words on the tape…..
“I’ll say it till the day I die. I was sober"……. (hesitation as she searched for the right word)….. “ENOUGH, to breast feed…….”
Looking at her on the tape I have to wonder if she plans on being sober “enough” to drive with the kid in the car……

di4fun143 March 28 2014 at 8:30 AM

I think I would forego drinking alcohol and alot of caffeine while breast feeding! It makes sense that it would affect what goes into the baby! Can't mamma give it up for just a few months?

ashatus March 28 2014 at 6:31 AM

After thosands of years, we still kill the messenger.

theharleymeanyou March 29 2014 at 12:17 AM

Look at it like this... When a Mother is Breast Feeding, EVERYTHING the Mother puts in her body as far as Foods, Medicines, Fluids of ANY kind, Smoking Cigs or Pot ... ANYTHING that STUPID Breast Feeding mother consumes she is giving same to Baby .. She might as well just put the alcohol in her baby's bottle .... Baby's intestine's are still maturing at infant and baby stage's .... Their Little bodys can't even consume solid baby food for a few months !!!!! YET ALCOHOL IS ok .. " IT'S legal TO GET OUR BABY'S DRUNK OR DRUGGED JUST BECAUSE IT COMES FROM THE BREAST ????? THIS SHOULD BE SMEARED ALL OVER THE NEWS AND LAWS CHANGED ... MY OPINION ...

sylvabugg2 March 28 2014 at 8:34 AM

Bad judgement and no common sense seems to be prevalent in today's society. I guess people just don't raise their kids the way they used to. Any woman who has ever become pregnant knows that whatever you take into your body will be passed on to your nursing child through your breast milk. What gets me is, virtually every woman who has been pregnant, has had prenatal care by a doctor. They tell you to be wary of putting anything into your body without consulting them first. But still people ignore even these warnings. If they're not capable of making good decisions in this regard, what else are they not capable of?

superiorswatch1 March 28 2014 at 6:49 AM

The waitress was right. What mother in her right mind would breastfeed and drink. She might as well given the baby a drink in a bottle.

mielkele March 28 2014 at 7:59 AM

When I was a nursing student we had beer available for our new nursing mothers. It was believed, at least at that time, that it increased lactation.

elshacko March 28 2014 at 7:21 AM

That happened in a mall where the mother most likely drove to. Was the mother also drinking and driving? Did the police bother to check?

whtpm78 March 28 2014 at 8:28 AM

I was at a baby shower last week and the expectant mother received breastmilk alcohol test strips for a gift. When I had mine you just refrained from alcohol because you didn't want to take any chance with you baby. I guess times are changing, but I still think you need to think of the child's welfare first.