13-year-old boy battles flesh-eating bacteria

13-Year-Old Boy Battles Flesh-Eating Bacteria

A community is rallying around 13-year-old Trey Lauren of Monroe, who's now battling flesh-eating bacteria at Seattle Children's Hospital, Q13FOX reports.

Tray fell and cut his knee at a birthday party about a week ago. He got just six stitches. A day later, Tray had a fever and the area swelled. After a trip to urgent care, he was taken to the hospital. In his MRI, doctors could see the infection spreading.

"Knowing that he was there and heard everything," his dad said through tears, "and having to say goodbye was hard."

He's had seven surgeries in eight days, but he's staying as positive as he can.

"He wanted to be right there by my side the whole time, and I just had to tell him 'I got this' so he won't worry as much," Trey said.

His baseball team started to 'Pray for Trey.' A competing team did the same, and another followed.

Want to help the family pay for their extensive medical bills? Check out Pray for Trey.

John Myers March 28 2014 at 3:14 PM

Your wipping it Trey. You have the upper hand on it and you just need to follow through.Heck, you should be in physical therapy inside of two weeks. What you have on your side is everything I didn't, I am old, not in the best of shape, cook for myself, etc.
I came down with NF in 2008 and put myself in a coma when I first got to the hospital. My Daughter told me that I had nine surgeries in the first week. After that I had a lot more problems, COPD, diabetic, then cancer. About twenty six more surgeries
I have pretty much ended up losing half my left buttock, a bite out of my anus, another bite from my sac, and transplanted skin down past my knee.
Now my trouble is I eat too much junk food. I need to shed eighty pounds.
OK, thats my story in brief. If and old man can make it that far then you can whip yours.
The best of luck to you.

Caroline March 27 2014 at 9:59 PM

never heard of this flesh eating bacteria. I will say a rosary for this young man but I am sure he will get well. Too bad he has to suffer with all these surgeries but he seems in good spirts. Give him a lot of credit. Me, myself - am such a chicken. Scared of every least litle thing that happens to me.
Wish I could be brave like this young man - but he'll get well. Believe in God.

naynay March 27 2014 at 9:43 PM

Dear Jesus, We know you are a big mighty God and right now I pray for your healing hand to be upon this young man. Bring healing physical and restore his strength in JESUS name. We thank you and praise your name, Amen.

Heather naynay March 27 2014 at 9:56 PM

Amen...

alexibm naynay March 27 2014 at 11:55 PM

Dear GOD was thank you already for the miracle your going to allow in this childs life. AMEN

spdy65 March 27 2014 at 8:40 PM

So...where did he come in contact with this type bacteria? From the first visit when he got the stitches or afterward?

Just Moi spdy65 March 27 2014 at 9:41 PM

My question exactly.

jrexmarda spdy65 March 28 2014 at 11:18 AM

They sewed the bacterium into the wound when they closed it up.

Bridget Kielas-Fecyk March 27 2014 at 8:22 PM

One of our neighbors, Lorena Wilson, her son slipped fell on a hill while coming up from a lake after going fishing. He got a scrape on his lower arm. A few hours later, he was in the ER with this same condition. He lost his arm, but he survived. He is still going very strong, however. He still works as a carpenter, he does not let it slow him down. This young man will survive as well. He is young, healthy before this, and will be strong. Even if he loses his leg, I sense he will never lose his spirit.

travasham March 27 2014 at 7:48 PM

I once read an article that described necrotizing fascitious as the most rude form of bacteria on earth. "While most bacteria waits for you to die before it eats your flesh this pushy organism says screw waiting and literally eats you alive", very scary.

dreamdk2 March 27 2014 at 7:35 PM

hang in there I had the same things about 3 years ago doing fine now

pincurlz March 27 2014 at 6:57 PM

sounds like necrotizing fascitious. I know how painful this is. I came down with this myself. I was close to death myself. I live alone and although friends kept trying to get me to drink, I was so bull headed. All I wanted to do is sleep. The pain was severe. Finally friends gave me an ultimatum - call your doctor or they would call an ambulance I was so angry. I will pray for Trey. I know doctors will do all they can to remove this infection . God be with you Trey.

Venetia March 27 2014 at 6:56 PM

Praying for Trey and his family.

mahrmach March 28 2014 at 7:47 AM

I had a very bad MrSA infection and was lucky to survive. Once treated probiotics will be needed to rebalance his system.

memaw7824 mahrmach March 28 2014 at 7:31 PM

My mom always said to eat cottage cheese when taking antibiotics, have heard yogurt is good too. God bless this young man.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal