Christian school complains 8-year-old tomboy isn't feminine enough

Christian School Complains 8-Year-Old Tomboy Isn't Feminine Enough
The family of an 8-year-old Virginia girl has removed her from her private Christian school after the school complained her appearance wasn't feminine enough. HLN has more.

'We're talking about Timberlake Christian School in Virginia. It sent a letter to Sunnie Kahle's grandparents and they said she wouldn't be allowed to go to school next year if she didn't follow biblical standards and look more like a girl.'

WDBJ spoke with Doris Thompson, Sunnie's great-grandmother and legal guardian, who says Sunnie actually used to have long hair down to her waist until she asked for a haircut when she was five years old.

'She wanted to give it to a little child that had cancer who lost his hair. I said that's great, so we cut her hair and then she started wanting to dress in jeans and a t-shirt.'

CBS says the school got wind that students were asking Sunnie whether she was a girl or a boy, so the elementary principal, Becky Bowman, sent a letter home with Sunnie in February saying: 'We believe that unless Sunnie and her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education.'

'The letter goes on to say ... that administrators can refuse enrolling for condoning sexual immorality, practicing homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity.'

School administrators told WSET they're just asking Sunnie and her family to follow the school's guidelines. Sunnie's grandparents have since taken her out of Timberlake Christian School and enrolled in her their local public school.

Kay March 27 2014 at 11:10 AM

This is totally crazy! I grew up with two older brothers and two male cousins living next door in the country! So I played baseball, football and all the other male games including wrestling and fighting with my brother and cousins! I was totally a Tom Boy from about the age of four. Not only that, when I went to first grade, (we didn't have kindergarten at my country school) I wore dresses but the teacher told our parents that we should wear pants because we were outside playing in the grass and brush and getting very scratched and hurt. So for 8 years of school I wore jeans to school along with all the other girls! I still consider myself a tom boy even though I am in my 60's and you know what, I am proud of it. Yes I wear dresses but I still like to get down and work in the flower garden and also worked at an auto factory doing the same jobs as the men and the same at the last major company that I worked for. And I think us tom boys sometimes do things better than the men.

no1gum Kay March 27 2014 at 11:28 AM

I'm in my 60s too. When I went to Catholic school, girls couldn't wear patent leather shoes. When my daughter went, girls were told to wear shorts under their uniforms. My daughter used to come home looking like she'd been in a tornado. A couple of times, I had her hair cut. I hated dealing with tangles. She hated it, because she would always be mistaken for a boy if she had short hair. Also, most little girls go through a tomboy stage. It's normal child development. The school sounds suppresive. The grandparents did the right thing by removing the little girl.

SAM Kay March 27 2014 at 11:52 AM

and the teacher told you that you could wear paints, but you forget that the teacher never told this girl she could wear paints. you have to abide to the rules of the school. so it don't sound so crazy now does it.

no1gum SAM March 27 2014 at 12:04 PM

You need to go back to school and learn reading comprehension. Almost every girl goes through a tomboy phase. It's part of NORMAL child development. Many little girls look like boys when they get their hair cut. Maybe your point is that the school, being a Christian school, they're all about regression and supression. You should expect to find antiquated mores when you send a child to one.

Flag +1 rate up
harleridr March 27 2014 at 8:09 PM

Key word is Christain. I guess the principal or whoever runs the school does not know the meaning of the word.

rezinc harleridr March 27 2014 at 9:52 PM

Oh - and YOU do???? NOT... The key word IS Christian, and the school is a PRIVATE, CHRISTIAN school teaching Biblical truths. If you dont believe in these principles, then dont enroll in a CHRISTIAN school.

estimatorone March 27 2014 at 8:07 PM

I love the way these religious freaks make these off the hip
interpretations of the bible. They all seem to know what
"god" or "jesus" wants them to do or be - whether it is
written or not. And, of course, if it is good for them then
it has to be good for you. I doubt very much if this girl's
behavior, or looks, infringed on their so called "standards".
If I were the parent's of this girl, I would take her out of
that school before she is brainwashed into something that
she may not be.

rezinc estimatorone March 27 2014 at 9:56 PM

WRONG you are, as most intolerant, ignorant people are. The Bible is very easy to read and understand and states in easily understood terms the principles it teaches...

avales3719 March 27 2014 at 8:03 PM

THOU SHALT BE GIRLY!!!!

Karen March 27 2014 at 8:01 PM

Good for the family for taking her out of that bigoted hateful school. This little girl will have a tough enough time in her life over the next few years -- hopefully society will have grown up enough by the time she's a teen-ager to accept her for who she probably is.

kmkds March 27 2014 at 11:56 AM

smart move by the grandparents.

debnaert March 27 2014 at 11:56 AM

I was a tomboy............ I had all brothers........... I climbed trees and rode bikes and played baseball and football with my brothers! And I was good at every sport I played throughout my life! I excelled at Golf and softball. I went to an all girls Catholic HS and on to college. THANK GOD my mother let me BE ME! I was a graphic artist for 20 years and started a printing company at the age of 35. I excelled at everything I did! Because MY parents loved me and let ME BE ME! I pray that these grandparents MOVE her to another school and LET HER BE HER! If they don't it will be devastating for her. Please don't HOLD HER BACK it's not right!

greacia March 27 2014 at 11:57 AM

Some people that call themselves Christian make beetles look like Mensa members

Yvonne greacia March 27 2014 at 12:56 PM

Thanks, you gave me the laugh for the day!

llee407 March 27 2014 at 11:57 AM

Schools are getting ridiculous in suspending kids over silly things like pointing a finger gun at a friend, carrying a "My little pony" backpack. Where did common sense go?

debnaert March 27 2014 at 11:58 AM

Catholic churches are so hard on children. Our LORD said "Fathers don not nag your children lest they lose heart". They are all about CONTROL!

Yvonne debnaert March 27 2014 at 12:53 PM

Not just the Catholic Church....most religions have been led astray by the their ignorance of Bible teachings. They don't study the scriptures to find out the truth behind the words. In the King James version when it was being translated, they eliminated God's name 6,736 times. They were so superstitious in using his name, they took away the importance of it. And yet the Bible teaches us to use his name In prayers daily. Even Jehovah (God) said to use his name when praying to him because there are many gods, but he is the Almighty and the Creator of the universe. So, why I'm showing you this, is so you will understand there is so much more to understanding the Bible and it's prophecies that we haven't been taught by our religious leaders....