Christian school complains 8-year-old tomboy isn't feminine enough

Christian School Complains 8-Year-Old Tomboy Isn't Feminine Enough
The family of an 8-year-old Virginia girl has removed her from her private Christian school after the school complained her appearance wasn't feminine enough. HLN has more.

'We're talking about Timberlake Christian School in Virginia. It sent a letter to Sunnie Kahle's grandparents and they said she wouldn't be allowed to go to school next year if she didn't follow biblical standards and look more like a girl.'

WDBJ spoke with Doris Thompson, Sunnie's great-grandmother and legal guardian, who says Sunnie actually used to have long hair down to her waist until she asked for a haircut when she was five years old.

'She wanted to give it to a little child that had cancer who lost his hair. I said that's great, so we cut her hair and then she started wanting to dress in jeans and a t-shirt.'

CBS says the school got wind that students were asking Sunnie whether she was a girl or a boy, so the elementary principal, Becky Bowman, sent a letter home with Sunnie in February saying: 'We believe that unless Sunnie and her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education.'

'The letter goes on to say ... that administrators can refuse enrolling for condoning sexual immorality, practicing homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity.'

School administrators told WSET they're just asking Sunnie and her family to follow the school's guidelines. Sunnie's grandparents have since taken her out of Timberlake Christian School and enrolled in her their local public school.

bobkdesign March 27 2014 at 10:09 PM

Kids of this age shouldn't be subjected to adult ideas about dress.
I hope her parents and principal can work things out without the little girl being stigmatized by things adults in her life have done, but that is probably too late.

It's not what's on the outside that counts, it's what's on the inside.
Giving her hair to another child with cancer shows she is pretty good on the inside.

leslieskeans March 27 2014 at 9:36 AM

So, the school is assuming because of the way she dresses that she is transgender or gender confused? If so there must me LOTS of kids out there who are confused! Perhaps Sunnie could wear a burqa to school? I think her grandparents have done what is best and moving her to another school. Bless her heart, Sunnie, your outside (which seems fine to me) does not reflect your inside. And it is what is inside that counts. You go girl.

billt415 March 27 2014 at 7:36 PM

Becky Bowman needs to find another job, probably behind a pulpit preaching the Gospel according to Becky Bowman. What is our society coming to. If I didn't know any better I think we were living in a fascist government. Becky Bowman should be happy this little girl was not my daughter, because if so I would be selling her house for legal fees. Adults need to act like adults and stop using children as pawns for their self centered ideologies. I wonder if she ever realize about what her actions and comments made do to this little girl. As an educator, she is to education, not judge, and as a Christian, she will be judged.

littlejohnva billt415 March 27 2014 at 8:25 PM

Seems to me we have 'Westboro Baptist Church' in reverse here !~!~! Both are very dangerous to the American way of life, freedom of choice, as God the Father intended. Judgment will come at the 'White Throne' for those who chose no to humbly follow in this life !~!

Terry and Jon March 27 2014 at 9:35 AM

I am a married woman with a child. When I was a kid I had short curly hair ( I wanted straight long hair, but my hair refused to grow in a downward direction) and loved wearing jeans and t-shirts as they were more comfortable. It had nothing to do with my sexuality or sexual identity. I always liked boys and I always felt like the girl so why was the school reading more into this than there probably is.

amanda_bloom March 27 2014 at 9:34 AM

Where in the bible does it say that a woman' s god given role is not having short hair, or wearing particular clothing? It's a shame this exists, I am a woman of God, and it concerns me greatly how many people use it to control other people versus walking in his footsteps and loving and letting him do the judgement.

bcurll March 27 2014 at 7:32 PM

The probably would have kicked out Joan of Arc also.

Kwriter March 27 2014 at 12:39 PM

this little girl and her granny are better Christians than those homophobic administrators.
wow wonderful that the girl wanted to donate her hair to a cancer patient.

travasham March 27 2014 at 7:31 PM

Judge not lest ye be judged!!!!!!! Seems like they always forget that one.

bronxbombers0812 March 27 2014 at 7:31 PM

Says in the bible, hypocrites shall have a worse damnation. Good luck with that bible-thumpers!

rdaffron March 27 2014 at 9:25 AM

Apparently the school never heard of Joan d'Arc.