On "Antiques Roadshow," a woman found out she had a painting worth a small fortune.

'Antiques Roadshow': Woman Breaks Down When She Finds Out Heirloom's Value
GIRL: "I think if this were to be sold at a retail gallery today it might be worth as much as $45,000 dollars."
OLD LADY: "Oh my goodness. My grandmother would be so happy... she really would."

Yes, the owner was brought to tears -- as you saw there, after the show, the value of the painting actually went up. It was re-appraised at $75,000! It turns out the woman's grandmother bought the painting in San Antonio in 1935 from Porfirio Salinas, a painter recognized for his depictions of the Texas hill country in the springtime --and one of the first Mexican artists to become nationally recognized for his work.

The New York Times described Porfirio as US President Lyndon B. Johnson's favorite painter.

AskArt.com lists more of Salinas' beautiful landscape paintings for sale ...

And fans can also check out his work at TexasPaintings.com

Viewers were loving the woman's reaction hearing her painting was worth so much, saying ...

"This lady made me cry. She was so truly surprised and happy," and "this woman was so sweet when she cried for her loved one."

KING JEFF March 25 2014 at 11:08 AM

Nice for her to get the real value and not to have lost it to a crooked dealer with a low offer, now
they can enjoy it or get real value of the piece

klw4919 KING JEFF March 25 2014 at 11:40 AM

King,
You have to realize that dealers can't give you the full value of a painting, or of anything else for that matter.They have to buy something for less than what it would sell for on the open market in order to make a profit. Otherwise there wouldn't be any reason for being in business,unless you think that art dealers should simply be performig a public service. They aren't necesarrily "crooked dealers". Btw, I am not a dealer.
Most of these free evaluations are nothing more than a very old trick to uncover things for sale. It's just a fancier version of "basements cleaned for free".

suemg2011 klw4919 March 25 2014 at 11:59 AM

Last night a man with a corner chair was offered 10,000. the appraiser estimated it between 250,000-300,000

Flag 0 rate up
BANDIT BILL March 25 2014 at 11:52 AM

I'm always happy to see these reactions and good fortune. A lot of times it seems that people know the worth and look to be just showing off.

jt2 March 25 2014 at 2:54 PM

My comment isn't even about the painting. I can't skip over the beginning print section that says " old lady."Really? Yes, she is overweight but I dare say she is in her fifties. That's an old lady? Dang, at 68 I must be nearing death!

hey jt2 March 25 2014 at 3:17 PM

quit gripping ,how would you like to be 80 and in good health and probable going to live at least 10 years more now that is old, but I don't feel old I feel 35

klw4919 hey March 25 2014 at 3:46 PM

Your reply to jt2 makes absolutley no sense. jt2's legitimate "gripe" is the offensivness of referring to the owner of the painting as an "old lady". These "journalists" of today display all the callowness that is justifiably associated with the young and the ignorant.
This reminds me of the absurd use of the word "lady" by Americans and the very old but still valid joke arising from it: Q: "Who was that lady I saw you with the other night?
A: "That wasn't no lady, that was my wife".

Flag +1 rate up
Disculpame March 25 2014 at 11:23 AM

I have been addressed as "old man", many times over the years, I do not take offense whatsoever. I am up there in age!! People, It is what it is.....

gramargo Disculpame March 25 2014 at 5:49 PM

Well, at least we "old folks" are still here, which is far better than the alternative.

jamesoffkilter March 25 2014 at 3:01 PM

Have a painting by HJ DOBSON (SCOTTISH ARTIST) for fifty years
I know he died in the early nineteen hundreds and i wonder what its worth
any one have any idea Name of painting is Burns Grace and depicts an old Scottish couple
having a simple meal in an old cottage ????

fred jamesoffkilter March 25 2014 at 5:16 PM

H.J. DOBSON! Hell yez! That particular painting is well worth $300.000.00 easily! Anything by that artist is worth over $300.000.00.. His cleaning rag for his brushes sold for $25,000.00 at auction last year in Oslo!

hey March 25 2014 at 3:14 PM

good for her, I always like to hear someone got good news, my mother always said she would be glad if someone she knew won the lottery, it is always better to know people tht are comfortable rather then struggling

kimcrdr March 25 2014 at 10:59 AM

Did the writer of this article really have to put Old lady when describing the conversation, I find that to be very distasteful especially coming from a "journalist" anyway congrats to her on this, I would imagine she is very excited!!

merlin9394 kimcrdr March 25 2014 at 11:56 AM

what do you expect? the twenty somethings are only about twenty somethings, and most barely have manners expect when something serves their own purpose. I mean..look at the President they elected.

gramargo merlin9394 March 25 2014 at 5:48 PM

Are you implying that the president was elected only by twenty somethings? As a matter of fact, I know at least a dozen people well over that age who voted for him. By the way, I'm 91 and I voted for him twice, after seeing what the opposition was like.
Another by the way......I've got several grandchildren in their twenties, and they're all the most polite and thoughtful young people I know. And you really should experience the manners of the young folks working in our local shops. I've had really great treatment from them all without feeling as if they're merely condescending to an older lady.

Flag 0 rate up
Fred March 25 2014 at 4:57 PM

Good for her.

mesager42 March 25 2014 at 5:02 PM

Now the artist's paintings just went up in value, because it has been promoted nationally.

ChingOW Mango March 26 2014 at 1:43 AM

I wanna find something worth millions of dollars - I really do - why can't I find a painting - anything - time is running out and I need some money! I'm so happy for this woman - love the show and I always feel happy when someone has a nice score! Furniture - jewelry - artifacts - you just never know! It must be a wonderful feeling to buy something for pennies at a sale and find it is worth much much more. Yes - the things dreams are made of! Ahhhhhhhh