'Good Wife' star promises fans everything will be okay

'Good Wife' Star Promises Fans Everything Will Be Okay After Shocking Exit

Josh Charles paid a visit to the "Late Show" to talk all about "The Good Wife."

Specifically -- spoiler alert -- his leaving "The Good Wife." Josh's character, Will, was killed off the show Sunday night, and fans were in shock.

Josh told David Letterman those fans immediately flooded his Twitter account with reactions.

JOSH: "I really appreciate all of your comments. I don't know where I'm looking, but I just wanted to tell them that, I really appreciate that."

JOSH: "It's meant a lot. I get invested in characters on TV shows, too, so, everything's gonna be okay. I'll call your mom later."

Josh said his neighbors, who he doesn't even really know, were devastated by the shocking twist. They left Josh a touching note saying they felt like a family member had died.

Will's exit was Josh's choice -- his contract was up and he asked to leave the show, but came back for 15 episodes this season for the fans. He kept the secret of Will's death for a year.

Josh talked more about his departure and the wild viewer reaction in an interview with TVLine.

"If they're going to blame anybody, they can blame me. But I think it's going to send the show in a new direction and it's going to just keep being fantastic. I've been really proud to be a part of it. It's the longest job I've ever had. I leave with my head held high and feeling, hopefully, that I contributed in some small way to make it what it is."

jag12734 March 25 2014 at 3:16 PM

I am so disappointed that Josh was killed. He was a very important character. I can not see how you can replace in the story line. Get him back. Thank you, jag12734@aol.com

lisa watson March 25 2014 at 3:49 PM

IN REAL LIFE JOSH IS A FRIEND OF MY DAUGHTER'S. HE NEVER BREATHED A WORD OF HIS IMPENDING DEATH. WE ARE ALL IN MOURNING. MAY HE GO ON TO GREAT THINGS AND WE HOPE THE SHOW CONTINUES ITS WONDERFUL SURPRISES. LISA WATSON

Diann March 25 2014 at 3:57 PM

Totally shocked & upset like a member of my family died. Still can't believe it, loved Will.

boldprod March 25 2014 at 1:41 PM

This reminded us of when they killed-off one of the main characters in "Dallas" in the original series; "Dallas" lost a lot of viewers and never recovered. I suspect the same may happen here. Since Mr.Charles never had that kind of prominent role before, I dare say he'll regret this move. Good Luck to him - he'll need it.

jbunnyluv boldprod March 25 2014 at 2:17 PM

I agree with you completely. Prior to the Good Wife, Josh Charles did small movie rolls and tv series. He rose to fame on the Good Wife. Seems like a bad move to leave a successful show which has made you a well known celebrity.

kaplnat March 25 2014 at 1:24 PM

I too am one of the loyal fans who enjoyed Josh's character inasmuch as he added a new dimension to the story and some spice. I am disappointed to see Josh leave, and am wondering with all the intertwining stories this was the only one that really kept you focused and waiting to see if Alicia and Josh would finally get back together. Inasmuch as this part is over I hope the writers have a new interesting direction to go.

kapnat

CHRISTINE March 25 2014 at 1:21 PM

Awesome ending of his character. Although he was a great addition to the show, you cannot ignore the main focus and talent of Julianne, it will be interesting to see where her emotional ride will go next. Diane is the bomb too so the show can zero in on her more ! He will be missed on the show but that too will fade. Probably so will his career as so many that left high rated shows do.

Robert Martin March 25 2014 at 1:20 PM

Nice job Josh. There are many great characters on the show and, while you will be missed, time goes on and situations evolve. That's what makes it more than just a soap opera.

linda adams March 25 2014 at 4:58 PM

i willa lot. miss will

bdjavid March 25 2014 at 1:08 PM

Mr. Charles, Good Luck. You contributed o ou entertainment nd to acting with great performance with commitment. Thanks...

elaine March 25 2014 at 5:40 PM

I agree with @daydayzee. Please keep it classy. This is one of the best shows on tv. Viewers are fickle and once they get invested with a show then that's that. The characters make it.