Girl Scout Breaks Cookie-Selling Record

Girl Scout Sells 18,107 Boxes Of Cookies, Breaks Record
18,107 boxes of cookies. That's what it took for an Oklahoma City sixth grader to narrowly break the national record for Girl Scout cookie sales.

According to ABC, 12-year-old Katie Francis has broken a 30-year-old record of 18,000 boxes. She was also the top cookie seller nationwide in 2013.

The Oklahoman points out Katie broke the state record in Oklahoma the last two years. She told the paper she has sold thousands of boxes in the past.

"Well, the first year that I sold, I sold 2,004. The year after that, I sold 7,482. And then just this last year, I sold 12,428."

So what's Katie's secret? According to USA Today, it's a whole lot of dedication.

Katie says she asks everyone she sees if they would like to get a box. On school days, she would be out selling cookies all over the area until after 9 p.m. And, on weekends, she'd spend at least 12 hours out on the streets selling cookies, with her mom driving her around the city.

Katie's mom told the paper her daughter hopes to sell 100,000 boxes of girl scout cookies by the end of her girl scout career. As for this year, Katie still has a few more days to sell cookies. Girl Scout cookie sales end March 30.

Trish March 25 2014 at 10:56 AM

This is one little girl I WOULD buy cookies from. She is a great example of the way girl scout cookies were meant to be sold. She is doing it.. with the help of her parents.. not because her parents are doing it for her. She will go far in the future with her "get up and go" spunk. I would love to hear how she is doing in about 20 years to see how far she goes in life. GO GET 'EM GIRL....

ChingOW Mango March 26 2014 at 2:19 AM

So glad I got to see this kid on Jimmy Kimmel tonight doing her obnoxious sales pitch. I will remember her face and if I see her hide or run! Hope this kid does as good in her chosen career!

coffeet1 ChingOW Mango March 27 2014 at 5:19 AM

The kid you saw on Jimmy Kimmel wasn't the real kid; the kid you saw on Kimmel was an actress ... that was a spoof Kimmel did. To see what the real Katie Francis looks like, Google images, type the name Katie Francis. Don't rely on Kimmel for all the facts. He's all about being funny and sensationalism. He once did a spoof about a wolf roaming the hallway & even got the "owner" to vouch & say it's a wolf when it was an actually an Alaskan Malamute dog. If you believe everything Kimmel says, you'll wind up being an uneducated person.

Carolyn March 26 2014 at 1:37 AM

I, too, was a mother who drove her daughters (2) around town 'trying' to sell Girl Scout cookies when they were young.

We followed the rules. I would pick them up after school each day and then they would go and sell them until dark. That was the rule. The most either one of them sold was - 444. Can't really see just how you could sell more than 500 if you followed the rules.

However, we did find out that another girl beat them, at that time (35+ years ago), by selling them to a grocery store. She sold over - 600+. We understood that that was not legal as it was against the rules.

We did go to college dorms and also to mobile home parks. You can sell much more and much faster when the buyers are located / situated closer together. Obviously the key is rapidity ~

effinie March 26 2014 at 12:46 AM

Brava. young lady! I see a future CEO in the making.

popkokids March 25 2014 at 11:39 PM

You have to be one pushy kid to sell that many.

andobeyond March 25 2014 at 7:32 PM

What does she get for all her hard work, making the cookie manufacturer a ton of money and the girl scouts get a few pennies in comparison. If they only knew how bad the manufacturer screws them over financially.

ChingOW Mango andobeyond March 26 2014 at 2:25 AM

Tonight Jimmy Kimmel said Katie Francis would get a 59 cent girl scout badge to sew on her uniform. That's all the thanks she needs - I'm sure that's the girl scout creedo someplace. Plus she got all this attention online and on national television - and I'm sure Kathy Lee & Hoda will have her on.

jjrb1990 March 25 2014 at 4:47 PM

Get rid of the cookies! LOL!! I had to damn near take out a small loan for them this year for my kids(and me)

The PopDot Artist jjrb1990 March 26 2014 at 1:07 AM

Hello ( jjrb1990 ), my I ask how much does a box of these girls scout cookies sell for these days.

Don March 25 2014 at 4:32 PM

To bad that less than .25 cents of every box actually goes to the Girl Scouts. All the greedy high-ups have to get their hand in the pot. This is why I stopped buying their cookies.

Holly Don March 25 2014 at 6:05 PM

Not true! The troop gets up to .80 per box and the local councils get over $2 per box. The money the council receives is used to support programs for the Girls. The troops could not operate without the Council. I have been a troop leader for 9 years. My girls are going to New York in the summer with money they earned through fundraising, most of which has been cookie selling.

kimcrdr March 25 2014 at 11:18 AM

Kudos to you young lady, this shows you will have great work ethics and will never give up, I love girl scout cookies, they are the best!! Good luck to you Katie on reaching your goal of 100,000!!!!!

jvon57 March 25 2014 at 12:18 PM

my 6 yr old sold 94 boxes on her own she walk around the neighborhood with me and her shopping cart. and loves to ask people. She also attended every cookie booth we had. I was very proud of her. Congrats to Katie for her sales skills. hope she reaches her goal.

Applez64 jvon57 March 25 2014 at 3:43 PM

94 boxes sold walking around the neighborhood by a 6 year old is pretty darn impressive ! You go girl!