Burger King Baby says she's found her birth mother

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) - A woman who as a baby just a few hours old was abandoned in the bathroom of a Pennsylvania fast-food restaurant says she has found her birth mother.

Twenty-seven-year-old Katheryn Deprill says she met her biological mother for the first time Monday in an attorney's office. Deprill said Tuesday she felt "pure joy" and it was like "looking in a mirror."

Deprill began her quest March 2 by posting a photo on Facebook. The photo showed Deprill holding up a sign saying, "Looking for my birth mother ... She abandoned me in the Burger King bathroom only hours old, Allentown PA. Please help me find her by sharing my post."

Woman Abandoned At Birth In Burger King Finds Her Birth Mother

Deprill is known as the Burger King Baby. She says she and her birth mom plan to have more meetings to get to know each other better.

'Burger King Baby' Searches For Birth Mother 27 Years Later

frankc354 March 26 2014 at 5:31 AM

I think this young lady's mom was a scared teenager when she did what she did, for those people posting this as murder are nuts.The scared mother to be did close to the right thing because the baby was found instantly, the right thing would have been to put the child up for adoption, also don't for get there is a teen father involved here.I hope these meetings make up for a lot of lost time and go well.

Krotch Hamilton March 25 2014 at 8:22 PM

Maybe the two of them should go out for a Whopper at B.K.
Fast food sux,
KROTCH HAMILTON

Linda March 26 2014 at 12:53 PM

Being adopted myself and finding my birth mom was not a happy ending like this was.....my birth mom wanted nothing to do with me. I am always so happy for those who are adopted who do find their birth mom or birth dad and are accepted with open arms...not the stay away do not want to know you line. Good for her in finding her birth mom.

fifiwereking Linda March 26 2014 at 3:40 PM

i'm sorry you were treated that way - it's a crap shoot, my brother's birth family reacted like yours (i haven't found mine)... i'm not sure i'd want to know my birth parents myself, but i would sure like to know about them... maybe some day i'll give a private detective a questionnaire, and see if he/she can find the answers...

jack91355 March 25 2014 at 7:56 PM

God Bless the people who take on the chore of raising another persons child. There's a special place in Heaven for you

cbray1773 jack91355 March 25 2014 at 8:45 PM

I did not take on a chore nor did I take on someone else's child. I became a mother. I adopted because I wanted to. If I deserve a space in heaven for anything it is not for adopting.

niqs13 March 26 2014 at 10:52 AM

This story is so bitter sweet for me because I just had a baby and I could never ever leave my child behind especially inside a fast food restaurants bathroom! How that woman even went on with her daily life..whatever it was at the time is beyond me. I guess it's true we do not know what that mother was going through at the time but still it leaves no excuse to abandone your child in a BK bathroom. Disturbing. If I was this woman above I don't think I would be so open to finding my birth mother who abandoned me. I think I would just be content and happy with my new family and parents. They are the one's who gave me a second shot at life and happiness

donna March 25 2014 at 7:47 PM

I was also adopted, have had the opportunity to meet only my birth mom, and most of my siblings. I did not keep in touch with my biological mom for personal reasons, but felt lucky to have have been able to meet her and let her know I was brought up in a loving home. It is a good this this mom left her baby where she did but it still does not take away she abandoned someone who could not care for themselves. The statut of limitations is over for being charged but I am probably sure her inner self took care of that. I am glad they got to meet and all went well. GL to both of them.

lyleva March 25 2014 at 7:46 PM

Great...bless you!

kozakharriet March 26 2014 at 2:54 PM

God is merciful and he will help evrybody who who sk him for help.He unsfer all my preyers.AMEN

Jennifer T. March 26 2014 at 3:37 PM

Not to excuse the act of abandoning a newborn in a Burger King restroom, but unless we know the whole story, who are we to judge? And I can understand this woman wanting to find her birth parents. If it were me, I'd have a lot of questions, too. Back when she was a baby, her birth parents couldn't have just taken her to a hospital or fire station and left her with out answering some questions like they do now. I hope Ms. Deprill finds the answers she's looking for and has peace in her life, with or without her birth mother.

poll100 Jennifer T. March 26 2014 at 3:40 PM

Her birth mom was a 17 year old rape victim who gave birth in silence and did the best she could with what was available to her. I don't imagine she was thinking too clearly so leaving her child in a rest room with loads of traffic was the best she could do. Happy for both of them.

eeverettm poll100 March 26 2014 at 4:10 PM

I hope they find the rapist!

Flag +1 rate up
backdoc301 March 26 2014 at 3:44 PM

She could have left the baby at any police station, no questions asked.