See Michelle Obama's simple, chic looks from her trip to China
First Lady Michelle Obama has been spending the week in China with her daughters, and as she is wont to do, she has been dressing appropriately for every occasion.
- First Lady Michelle Obama with her mother Marian Robinson, daughters Sasha Obama and Malia Obama arrives at Beijing Capital International Airport on March 20, 2014 in Beijing, China.
- Michelle Obama, her daughters Sasha and Malia, Michelle Obama’s mother Marian Robinson, and Peng Liyuan, wife of Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for a photograph as they visit the Forbidden City, March 21, 2014 in Beijing, China.
- Michelle Obama in Naeem Khan, with her daughters Malia and Sasha and her mother Marian Robinson, Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Peng Liyuan.
- Michelle Obama delivers a speech at the Stanford Center at Peking University on March 22, 2014 wearing Carolina Herrera.
- Michelle Obama with her daughters Malia Obama and Sasha Obama visit Museum of Terracotta Warriors during a visit to the historic excavation site on March 24, 2014 in Xi’an, China.
- Michelle Obama wearing Clover Canyon on a boat ride in Beijing, China.
On one outing, she wore a blouse with a horse print - fitting, since 2014 is the Chinese Year of the Horse. Many of her outfits have included the color red, a Chinese symbol of good luck.
Otherwise, however, her outfits have been neutral and modest; a good match for China's First Lady, Peng Liyuan, who also sticks with modest pieces by Chinese designers, often made by longtime designer Ma Ke. In a rare interview with the Washington Post, Ma says that she prefers to stay in the background.
It's a total 180 from the designers who blast press releases every time our own First Lady wears one of their pieces, and it would seem that Obama has been dressing accordingly this trip.
Check out all her looks in the gallery above.
More from Fashionista:
Scott Schuman Interviews Garance Doré, and It's Cuteness Overload
What Fashionista Editors Want for Spring
Eliza's Fruity Face Scrub
Sneaker Craze Drives Nike Sales Up 13%