GWAR frontman Dave Brockie found dead in Virginia home

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Dave Brockie, who as "Oderus Urungus" fronted the alien-costumed heavy metal band GWAR during graphic and fake-blood-soaked stage shows for more than three decades, has died. He was 50.

Officers were called to Brockie's home Sunday evening and found the singer dead inside the home, Richmond police spokeswoman Dionne Waugh said Monday. Detectives don't suspect foul play at this time and the medical examiner's office will determine cause of death, Waugh said.

The band founded in 1984 is known for its comically grotesque costumes, stage antics and vulgar lyrics. GWAR was nominated for a Grammy Award for best long-form music video in 1993 for "Phallus in Wonderland" but lost to "Diva" by Annie Lennox. It also was nominated for best metal performance for "S.F.W." in 1996 but lost to "Happiness In Slavery" by Nine Inch Nails.

Randy Blythe, the lead vocalist for Virginia-based metal band Lamb of God, fondly recalled Brockie's approach to humor in a post on the band's Facebook page: "Right now, if I were to truly honor Dave in the way HE would do it if it were ME that had died, I would make a completely tasteless joke about his death. But I do not have the stomach for that - Dave would, but not me. He never put much stock in `limits.'"

GWAR released its latest album, "Battle Maximus," in September 2013 and recently toured Australia and Japan. Over the summer, the band held its 4th annual GWAR-B-Q at a small water park in Richmond and released its own canned craft beer for the occasion made by Cigar City Brewing in Tampa, Fla. The band had announced plans for its 5th annual event last week.

Brockie remained a constant in the band that has had a revolving door of members, including lead guitarist Cory Smoot, who was found dead on the band's tour bus in North Dakota in 2011. He was 34.

The state medical examiner said Smoot, who had performed since 2002 under the name "Flattus Maximus," died of "coronary artery thrombosis brought about by his pre-existing coronary artery disease." But records showed that investigators found on Smoot a $5 bill with a white powder residue, a prescription bottle holding eight Oxycodone-Acetaminophen pills, a lighter and two empty syringes.

---

centaur927 March 25 2014 at 12:16 AM

Looks a little like Rand Paul.

loosek March 24 2014 at 3:01 PM

I jammed with Dave Brockie when he was still a little high school punk. He loved thumbing his nose at convention (and everything else) even back then, and he pissed off a lotta folks, so he must have been doing it right. He'll be missed, to say the very least.

probert580 March 24 2014 at 3:08 PM

GWAR always put on a hell of a show..........rip dude

kmcc895370 March 24 2014 at 3:09 PM

I worked one of their shows some years ago in Pittsburgh at a small venue called Graffitti. They were nice guys and their show was outrageous. Rest in Peace Dave. I only met you in passing but you were alright.

savannahswithgod kmcc895370 March 24 2014 at 4:01 PM

Keep your eyes open a few years you may pass him again, reincarnation. I helped my brother take his instruments into a bar one time. He was a hell of a musician, could run with most. Never could get big though. Don't know if that was the side of the street he came from, his boozing and drugs or his not wanting to take orders. I'm looking to see him again too, a Brain anewyrism got him. I wish he was here to do some of my new songs I wrote, as put the instruments on them. His crossing over I saw him by a little stream, take it to be the Garden of Eden though I am not a Bible follower.

BEWARE.. HUNTERS March 24 2014 at 3:26 PM

nnNNNNNOOOOOOooooooooo RIP sweetie

zeroagenow March 24 2014 at 3:28 PM

creative , inovative, RIP

adestefano2 March 24 2014 at 4:00 PM

My prayers go out to Dave Brockie and his entire family. I'm very sorry to here about their loss.

SumBreezeHuh March 24 2014 at 5:03 PM

"Host for the evening Oderus Urungus" has some serious penis issues. Why have I never heard of this band? This looks like a really fun thing to go see really, really stoned.

jrmark5 March 24 2014 at 5:14 PM

First of RIP to a truly unique and charismatic man!!

Second before you continue to spout your inane gibberish read the entire article.. "including lead guitarist Cory Smoot, who was found dead on the band's tour bus in North Dakota in 2011. He was 34."

Cory Smoot died in 2011... Dave Brockie was the lead singer who just passed and nothing.. Nothing in the article links his death to drugs so again I know you feel safe and tough behind your keyboards but at least get your info correct before you spout of.

Lance March 24 2014 at 6:00 PM

This was hardcore rock, they lived also.