'Good Wife' leaves viewers shocked, bereaved

BY FRAZIER MOORE
AP TELEVISION WRITER

NEW YORK (AP) -- Viewers of "The Good Wife" were gobsmacked by the sudden, unexpected death of its dashing attorney, Will Gardner, on Sunday's episode of the CBS legal drama.

Gardner, a prominent character portrayed by Josh Charles since the series' debut five seasons ago, was gunned down in a Chicago courtroom by his unhinged client. He was pronounced dead shortly afterward.

Once the episode had aired, Twitter lit up with astonished, sorrowful and even irate posts.

One viewer called for a group hug, while another issued a plea for a counselor to treat jolted fans. Yet another viewer expressed hope that, as with "Dallas" long ago in revealing Bobby Ewing's death to be only a dream, "The Good Wife" would find Gardner stepping out of his shower next week, alive and well.

Shocking Death Changes Everything On 'The Good Wife'

Other viewers vowed never to watch the show again, as payback.

Gardner was a rival lawyer and former lover of the character played by series star Julianna Margulies.

His death and Charles' decision to exit the show had been well-guarded secrets. Charles, who entered the series with a four-year contract, opted not to re-up when it expired after last season, according to his publicist.

Charles' past TV work includes the ABC dramedy series "SportsNight" and a season playing a client of therapist Gabriel Byrne on the HBO drama "In Treatment."

© 2014 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.Learn more about our PRIVACY POLICY and TERMS OF USE.

sheilanimm March 24 2014 at 6:51 AM

OK by me. He was ok, but, I just never got that he was worthy of Alicia. NO match at all in my mind. I am sure a new much more handsome man will show up. Looks like a realignment is in the clouds and a renewed rivalry with Kerry.

Abe March 24 2014 at 7:01 AM

as soon as my wife and I found out that he was dead we said that he wanted to get out of the show that is the way to depart from a show

murphaj55 March 24 2014 at 7:04 AM

People, it's a TV show. It's in the script. Get another life.

snakie111 murphaj55 March 24 2014 at 7:12 AM

This. thank you. I hate it when people go all "well, you killed so I'm never ever ever watching your show again. Wah." It's a show. It's an actor, who had other things he wanted to do. Get over it.

Abe March 24 2014 at 7:04 AM

It is just a a tv show no great shakrs

tootiesandi March 24 2014 at 7:04 AM

I am a fan and I was totally shocked. Dont shows kill off a big player when their ratings go down? I hope this isn't the case because the writing is very sharp. I will continue to watch and see what the other characters get into.

rathcrest March 24 2014 at 7:08 AM

It will give a new approach to the show! He dies by the hand of a man who he would have proved innocent. There is only so far the producers could take Will's character. May he rest in peace.

rothroost March 24 2014 at 7:11 AM

Best kept secret.
Shocked, but can't wait to see how this changes the entire dynamics of the show.

Calvin March 24 2014 at 7:13 AM

A grief counselor??Really???Somebody need's to get a life.If the death of a character on TV shows has any affect on a person ,then that person needs a lot more than a counselor.

JOHN Calvin March 24 2014 at 7:28 AM

You took the words out of my mouth Cal! A lot of empty lives (& heads?) out there for sure.

Gary1212 March 24 2014 at 7:24 AM

I saw in the upcoming episodes that Michael J Fox says "I'm the new Will Gardner" I HOPE NOT !!! He is the poorest and saddest excuse for a fill in. MJF had his moment in the sun when he was younger, it's too hard to watch him now with all the shaking going on. Bring in someone NEW...

kbmackey2 March 24 2014 at 7:26 AM

Shocked! But looking forward to see where the show goes from here. Good Luck to Josh Charles in whatever he does next.