David Cassidy sentenced to rehab in DUI case

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A judge has sentenced 1970s teen heartthrob David Cassidy to three months in rehab and five years of probation in a drunken driving case.

Cassidy's attorney, Steven Graff Levine, entered an open plea to a Los Angeles judge Monday, admitting that he was driving under the influence when he was arrested in January after making an illegal turn.

Levine says Cassidy has been in rehab and will remain for longer than his sentence requires. He says Cassidy is committed to his sobriety and wants to break the cycle that got him arrested for drunken driving twice in less than six months. A DUI case in New York was reduced from a felony to misdemeanor earlier this month.

Cassidy appeared on TV's "The Partridge Family."

© 2014 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about our PRIVACY POLICY andTERMS OF USE.

magicdog39 March 24 2014 at 10:45 PM

They put my bail much higher than that and sent me of to rehab too. I thank the Judge for what she did for me. I'm now 27 years drink and drug free. I love it.

brooklynbanshee magicdog39 March 24 2014 at 11:03 PM

Stop spraying, that's disgusting

lindarocino March 25 2014 at 4:04 AM

If you drive don't drink....if you drink invite me over...

oujoou March 25 2014 at 3:46 AM

Driving is hard enough without being wasted. :( So many things you have to pay attention to. Crosswalks. Pedestrians. Bad drivers. Mean drivers. Actually can't blame a guy for wanting to deaden himself when there is so much road rage going on. :( I have a bit of vodka when I wake up. Just a bit. By the time I head out to the café in the morning . . . it's been 3 hours. If you are motivated by the possible 'horror' of hitting someone . . . like an old lady . . . or a college student who just sees a crosswalk and goes for it . . . you would NEVER drink and drive. :(

bearprn@msn.com oujoou March 25 2014 at 6:10 AM

if you have "bit of vodka" when you wake up, you my friend have a problem. And if you drive with "a bit of vodka" on board you are an idiot!

spokajo March 24 2014 at 11:43 PM

I hope he can get his life straightened out. He has just gotten his second break (the first being in NY) so he won't get lucky anymore.

fluke66 March 25 2014 at 3:45 AM

just because he was a star he gets away with it if it was me or any poor smuck they would be jialed for the 5 years see what money does

fine7760 fluke66 March 25 2014 at 6:07 AM

I think the problem here is that all his DUI's are in different states not just one. I don't believe a conviction in one state can be counted when being tried in another state.

lovelaurie March 25 2014 at 3:30 AM

Alcohol has not enhanced his looks. Amazing how some priviledged people choose to waste their life.

pt8939 March 25 2014 at 3:13 AM

thats it ..

sdwood March 24 2014 at 11:47 PM

The court should make him take that wonderful little pill that will make him sick if he ever touches booz. That may help stop him from drinking or put him in the hospital.

carol manning March 24 2014 at 11:53 PM

why is the print on AOL so light, I can hardly read it

Liebchken March 25 2014 at 2:34 AM

So, is this a "deferred" sentence? So, if he breaks his deferment, he goes to jail? I'm guessing so. The courts want to monitor his sobriety, and foundation of support. But, if he drinks again, all bets are off - jail. So, 5 years probation means abstinence from alcohol for 5 years and u.a.'s for alcohol for 5 years. Not a bad thing for a chronic alcoholic. That dui was probably the best thing that ever happened to him. It saved his life. He just doesn't know it yet.