Three elephants get loose at St. Louis circus

Three Elephants Get Loose At St. Louis Circus

What's the obvious thing to do when you see elephants loose in a parking lot? Pull out your camera phone and record it. What else?

At a multi-purpose arena, right outside of St. Louis, three elephants escaped from their handlers Saturday and proceeded to raid the parking lot, damaging some vehicles. Fortunately no one was hurt.

According to KSDK the parking lot was mostly empty when the elephants got loose and the 2 ton animals really just bumped into some cars which obviously caused some damage.

Reportedly, the animals were spooked by some loud noises and then started running.

The elephant handlers are from the Shriners Circus who didn't have much to say in the way of explaining what happened. "The elephants were loose on the parking lot for a brief period. ... And they are resting comfortably at this time. That's the only statement I have."

The elephants only roamed the private parking lot where employees from the venue and the circus parked their cars and that's when they damaged the venue's loading door.

As for the show, it went on. The elephants were given a break Saturday night but got back to work Sunday morning.

Steve March 24 2014 at 6:05 AM

What a crappy article. It claims to show cell phone video of an escaped elephant but it's a video of a bunch of still pics of an escaped elephant.

Ciao Baby! Steve March 24 2014 at 10:18 AM

I thought maybe I missed it, but was too underwhelmed to go back and watch a second time.

Kim March 24 2014 at 2:47 PM

they were running for their lives

STACY MY LOVE.. March 24 2014 at 2:28 PM

Elephants are intelligent and gentle giants. I think they are running away from the terrible life they are currently living. I think this needs to be investigated to make sure they are not being abused and if they are then the elephants should be removed. I

lov2elkhnt March 23 2014 at 6:00 PM

Rampage? AOL's reporter got it right but the St. Louie reporter's sissy impact make the story up kind of thing can get animals shot. Some folks just got to make the news no matter what. But you did ok this time AOL.

Bert March 24 2014 at 12:26 PM

Poor Elephants it's like King Kong even if they did escape where would they go?
Kudos on trying though.

toomnycars March 24 2014 at 11:53 AM

Elephants.....The original SUV.

Kim Ann March 23 2014 at 9:51 PM

They are probably abused & tortured to make sure they obey their stupid human handlers. Good reason to want to run away. CIRCUSES THAT USE LIVE ANIMALS NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN~~ALL OF THEM!!

jubequinn March 23 2014 at 10:05 PM

I must say I love it when I hear about an elephant that CRUSHES its handler. It really warms my heart. I wish they would all meet their demise this way. Yes the elephant is put down but this wonderful animal is much better off. Who ever gave us this so called right to treat animals this way.

jubequinn March 23 2014 at 10:07 PM

The HUMAN BEING The only species that kills it's own kind for no reason.

Pam March 23 2014 at 10:24 PM

Whatever city, town, suburb, etc. work to help save these remarkably intelligent, endangered animals. They do not deserve to be trucked across our highways for miles and hours of arduous travel in hot box trucks, chained and unable to move about. Standing in the own excrement where they eat. For what? So we can say to our kids "look honey, there's a real elephant!" Let's teach them respect for life, in keeping with ones own habitat. They need our protection not our exploitation. Stop Shiners and people like them, they care for nothing but making money off them! Please help them, if they come to a YOUR town say NO! They belong in sanctuaries where they can roam with their own kind. Check out Animal Defenders Website. Thank you!

Howdy, Susie Pam March 23 2014 at 10:57 PM

Oh, God. I think I know this woman. I agree with her, but she's nuts!

chasedee Pam March 23 2014 at 11:35 PM

Well said. I don't go to any zoo or any circus and haven't for many years
What I see is animal cruelty, taking those poor helpless out of their natural habitat!
Where is PETA?