Kate Bush sets stage return after 35 year absence

England Kate Bush

LONDON (AP) - Singer Kate Bush is coming back to the London stage after a 35-year break in performing.

The surprise move came Friday when she announced she will play 15 concerts at the Hammersmith Apollo in London. The "Before the Dawn" shows begin Aug. 26 and continue in September.

The 55-year-old pop singer said several years ago that she hoped to return to the concert stage before she becomes "too ancient" to carry it off. She had toured in her 20s but stopped at an early age, later saying it had become physically exhausting.

Bush has largely stayed out of the public eye for decades but has released occasional new material.

docstruick9 March 21 2014 at 10:51 AM

Nice, way to go Kate. I really do not know who you are but yeah...you go.
And by the way .... you are a Beauty to me..... lets do coffee.

randallalbin March 21 2014 at 1:40 PM

kate, where have you been all of my life? your stuff is from mostly the 1980s. best wishes. you are very talented indeed

Kent's Stuff March 21 2014 at 12:49 PM

Listen to her cloudbusting and watch and those whom dont like initially may change minds

reikomax March 21 2014 at 12:47 PM

Great song! Any fan of "Wuthering Heights" will get it. The rest of you--who cares?

Sknt March 21 2014 at 12:43 PM

A friend turned me on to her sound in the 70s and i becme fan and still listen to her cloudbusting. her sund only attracts a certain ear to listening.

ellkayess March 21 2014 at 12:21 PM

Will she only be doing shows in the UK? I've enjoyed her music for many years and it would be so wonderful if she would do a few shows in the States!

sinceberlin ellkayess March 21 2014 at 12:23 PM

She won't, she suffers from severe pteromerhanophobia (fear of flying).

kangacharly March 21 2014 at 11:28 AM

For those who don't know....you have Brittney Spears-we had Kate Bush!
That's why our generation turned out better )))

sosoon kangacharly March 21 2014 at 11:40 AM

??? the difference beween kate and britney, is that britney can actually sing without making people sick.

keefero March 21 2014 at 7:57 PM

Wow....Never heard of her....
Do hope she gets some kind of work.... It looks like a yougurt or margarine commerical, right?

Wonder who (on earth) "directed" this? Yikes.....

slccmh March 21 2014 at 9:36 AM

I suggest you not base your judgments about Kate on "Wuthering Heights." Another song from her first album: "The Man With the Child in His Eyes" might be more accessible for a lot of people. I am very fond of a lot of what I consider her mid/later period work including the songs on "Hounds of Love" and "The Sensual World" albums - check out songs like "Cloudbursting" or "Reaching Out." She made a lovely contribution to Peter Gabriel's song "Don't give up" and her interpretation of the Irish folk tune "My Lagan Love" is also very nice. I think once you are drawn in by some of the more traditional sounding music, it becomes easier to appreciate the range of Kate Bush. I would say she uses her voice as an interpretive instrument to a level that many vocalists do not, (or cannot) and the results may not always be pleasing, depending on your taste. One of my friends years ago described her as "f-ing brilliant" and I absolutely agree.

viallvamp slccmh March 21 2014 at 9:53 AM

Very well put!

nora March 21 2014 at 12:54 PM

Wow, y'all must be a bunch of youngsters, and...I must be old. Kate was a leading superstar from the late 70's and 80's. Agreed, her voice could be an acquired taste; but she was/is a great songwriter and musician. Most of her vids really seem corny now (she was big on dance performance, it looks a bit contrived now) but she was very much a trailblazer and so unique. She has some fantastic songs - I especially loved her album Hounds of Love. This tune is about the ghost of Kathy haunting Heathcliff in "Wuthering Heights". I love it (the video, not so much lol). And, I must add that when I first heard her voice in the 70's I thought WTF? but she totally grew on me.

teedee911 nora March 21 2014 at 1:09 PM

"leading superstar from the late 70's and 80's"

I remember her songs...............and she wasn't all that, not in the US anyway.

sinceberlin teedee911 March 21 2014 at 1:29 PM

25 top 40 UK Hits, 10 top 10 UK Hits. Recognized by the Queen of England. Recorded her first album at the age of 16, had her first hit record at the age of 19. Writes all her own material, is a multi-instrumentalist. Has played with other giants of rock like Peter Gabriel. Has amassed a fortune of 45 million dollars. Has the unheard of vocal range of 4 octaves.

Looks like "all that" to me.

Flag +3 rate up
decy10 teedee911 March 21 2014 at 11:53 PM

The US is not the center of the universe. She was huge in the UK and Europe and had many American fans.

Flag 0 rate up
rkelly1343 nora March 21 2014 at 1:24 PM

I must be old too! I love Kate Bush and have since the 70's. She's a true genius!