Grocery store worker steals $23,000 from store

Winn-Dixie Employee Accused Of Stealing $23,000 With Coupons

Winn-Dixie Employee Accused Of Stealing $23,000 With Coupons

Police say they caught a Florida Winn-Dixie employee taking extreme couponing to a whole new level.

"Ibilola Badmus was arrested Tuesday. Sheriff's deputies say she used coupon codes to get fraudulent refunds and pocket $23,000 from the Winn-Dixie in Deland." (Via Central Florida News 13)

According to The Daytona Beach News-Journal, police say the Winn-Dixie where Badmus worked started seeing a strange plunge in the grocery store's profits in February.

A Valousia County sheriff's spokesman told the paper, "An internal investigation revealed that it wasn't coupon-cutting customers causing the problem but rather an employee."

After an investigation, WOGX reports the Winn-Dixie's loss prevention officers were able to trace the problem to Badmus, who had been reportedly collecting fraudulent refunds from coupon codes since November.

When store officials confronted Badmus about her scheme Tuesday, she admitted to taking about $10,000 because she said she needed to pay her sick child's medical bills.

But, according to Winn-Dixie officials who told the Volusia County Sheriff's Office that number was actually much bigger. They determined Badmus had collected $23,000 since she started stealing from the store in November. (Via )

Badmus was arrested Tuesday and charged with grand theft over $20,000. She has reportedly been released from jail, but it's unclear if she's hired an attorney.

ntaviss March 22 2014 at 2:44 AM

My parent' care provider stole around $150,000.00 from them in CA proven by the Detective Maureen Perkins, and she was only charged with theft over $950.00 which is a misdemeanor and she can still care for elderly patients! When a thief only gets slapped on the wrist in San Diego County it only makes for others to follow suit!

proteus12544 ntaviss March 22 2014 at 4:26 AM

Have you tried to go after this woman civilly ? I don't know the laws in CA but if there is proof you should be able to get a civil suit against her. I would also put her name on every singe web site I could find that deals in the care of the elderly.

jegski March 21 2014 at 9:08 PM

cha-ching !

spearmintrhin007 March 21 2014 at 11:18 PM

Bad Seed

cathi March 21 2014 at 2:43 PM

Actually, I know from work experience that stores have to provide evidence that the products were actually sold along with the coupons for reimbursement from manufacturer.

ordobtrebla March 21 2014 at 11:54 AM

I wonder if her attorney takes coupons...?

mbrheljr ordobtrebla March 21 2014 at 12:53 PM

LOL...good one, ordobtrebla. Probably not.

Here's why I say that.

Years ago, before I became a DA, one of my clients was a hooker.

She asked me what my fee was and I told her.

She asked if we could make arrangements.

I thought she meant monthly payments.

She said "...no, I mean service rendered for services rendered..."

I politely explained I'd have trouble explaining that to the utility company... :)

So, I doubt her attorney will take coupons...

Martha March 21 2014 at 4:57 PM

It is very simple: "Thou shalt not steal." That is it, that is all!

Jim and Cindy March 21 2014 at 8:11 PM

Good team work between Winn Dixie Loss Prevention and the Volusia County Sheriff's leading up to the arrest of this thief. It always funny to me to hear the thieves reason for commiting the crime. Like it makes it okay to be a thief.

dougb81042 March 21 2014 at 12:03 PM

ON Last nights Orlando news a male nurse with the last name of Badmus was arrested for writing presscriptions using local Drs names and getting all types of drugs from local pharmacies for resale. Family Connection?

gottabewv March 21 2014 at 2:35 PM

And she looks like such an honest girl!

razalbb March 21 2014 at 2:17 PM

if she gets an attorney, I hope he is smart enough not to accept payment in coupons

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal