Woman says Planet Fitness told her to cover up because she's too fit

Woman Says Planet Fitness Told Her to Cover Up Because She's Too Fit
A California woman was working out at a Planet Fitness gym when a staff member asked her to cover up because she was too toned. HLN has the details.

'Tiffany Austin says she was at Planet Fitness in Richmond, California and she says employees told her that her toned body was intimidating to other members.'

Austin is recovering from a car accident and had just been told by her doctors to begin resuming some physical activity. She says she chose Planet Fitness because it prides itself on being a "Judgment Free Zone."

On its website, the company says it's a place where 'members can relax, get in shape, and have fun without being subjected to the hard-core, look-at-me attitude that exists in too many gyms.'

Austin was just 15 minutes into her first workout when the employee asked her to cover up. She showed KTVU what she was wearing at the time.

'I don't feel like it's anything crazy, but I mean you can tell me if it's burning your eyes,' she laughs

While Austin's hot pink crop top and capris might not seem like something people would get upset about, Fox News reports a spokesperson for Planet Fitness says it's up to the gym's staff members to decide what's appropriate gym attire.

Austin has since quit the gym and demanded her membership money back.

zygi & paris March 20 2014 at 5:46 PM

I belong to planet fitness, and, they do have some hard core rules. Before, PF, I was a member at LA Fitness. I do like LA Fitness, because the atmosphere is more relaxed. Planet Fitness plays their music way too loud, so that you cannot listen to whatever device you are using. The employees at the PF that I belong to are also picky.

userpat7248 March 20 2014 at 5:23 PM

Have a feeling the employee was upset about her. Me I don't see anything about her outfit that would worry anyone, She pretty much has a normal body that has been taken care of, I wouldn't be worried about it if I was exercising. Now a Lady GaGa in some of her non-outfits might.

flacityclerk March 20 2014 at 1:39 PM

and this is news..silly

carsteelman March 20 2014 at 1:39 PM

She looks great, its AMERICA remember!! GEEZ

cgenie1 carsteelman March 20 2014 at 2:06 PM

mmicjon March 20 2014 at 1:40 PM

This place sucks so hard. I stopped going to the one close to my house in Houston because I was asked to remove my scull cap . Mind you I'm close to 50yrs old and only where it when I workout to keep my hair from standing up due to sweat. These ******** treated me like I was a gang member saying my scull cap wasn't allow because they have a certain dress code. I closed my account on the spot.
**** You Planet Fitness, you won't last out there with these ridiculous rules. You act as if you were a high end joint. I give you another 6months and you'll closed.

cgenie1 mmicjon March 20 2014 at 2:06 PM

ok, so heres the deal...if they let you wear the scull cap, they have to let everyone else. Just because you are not a gang member, doesn't mean that gang members don't come in there. They are just trying to be fair to everyone. If you have a dress code that is enforced for EVERYONE, there isn't a problem. If you follow it, then you won't have a problem either...if you don't like it, go someplace else...

sassy02360 March 20 2014 at 1:41 PM

Thought they are a NO JUDGEMENT ZONE...they sure judged her, they need to change their motto>

eddieinalbq sassy02360 March 20 2014 at 1:47 PM

I agree. Planet Fitness is the one judging people.

cgenie1 sassy02360 March 20 2014 at 2:02 PM

If you aren't fat, you don't get judged in a regular gym...if you are you are the subject of fat jokes and stares. They are not judging this woman for being fit, only asking her to cover up her body so people who aren't don't feel discouraged. I applaud her fitness, but I don't need to see it. Just wear a frickin t-shirt?

paladino1000 March 20 2014 at 1:41 PM

Planet Fatness is the biggest joke in the exercise world. They tout a "Judgment-Free Zone," but are anything but that.

Rick March 20 2014 at 5:17 PM

You go girl...

mopsie1 March 20 2014 at 1:43 PM

How absurd. I see high school students walking to school in much less clothing. You sweat when you work out and this outfit is in no way inappropriate for the gym. I hope Planet loses business because of this.

Donnaluna1 March 20 2014 at 1:39 PM

I think Planet Fitness should be ashamed of themselves. She looks great and has worked for it. She is young and should not be judged for being IN SHAPE. I think she would motivate others, not make them feel ashamed. Stupid people.