Woman says Planet Fitness told her to cover up because she's too fit

Woman Says Planet Fitness Told Her to Cover Up Because She's Too Fit
A California woman was working out at a Planet Fitness gym when a staff member asked her to cover up because she was too toned. HLN has the details.

'Tiffany Austin says she was at Planet Fitness in Richmond, California and she says employees told her that her toned body was intimidating to other members.'

Austin is recovering from a car accident and had just been told by her doctors to begin resuming some physical activity. She says she chose Planet Fitness because it prides itself on being a "Judgment Free Zone."

On its website, the company says it's a place where 'members can relax, get in shape, and have fun without being subjected to the hard-core, look-at-me attitude that exists in too many gyms.'

Austin was just 15 minutes into her first workout when the employee asked her to cover up. She showed KTVU what she was wearing at the time.

'I don't feel like it's anything crazy, but I mean you can tell me if it's burning your eyes,' she laughs

While Austin's hot pink crop top and capris might not seem like something people would get upset about, Fox News reports a spokesperson for Planet Fitness says it's up to the gym's staff members to decide what's appropriate gym attire.

Austin has since quit the gym and demanded her membership money back.

rmars15367 March 21 2014 at 8:39 AM

This just prooves that all theidiots are not in Washington DC

Miracles! March 21 2014 at 5:17 AM

KInd of schiz? The purpose of working out besides staying healthier is, for most people, to look better, more toned. This lovely lady could have been good publicity for that gym in that she would inspire people to keep with it just for the chance to look as fit as she does. I get that there are some very cover it all philosophies, but compared to many of the "role model" stars, showing much more than this lady, this can be totally confusing to especially young women. If there is a dress code in any place of business, one would think that code would be discussed, given upon joining the gym in writing, posted on the walls (even showing examples of what not to wear, and wha tis okay. /So what is this based on? The whim of an employee that could even perhaps be based on personal jealousy. Customer service? What's up!
LJOY

paxrail March 21 2014 at 2:23 AM

She was minding her own business doing her workout. What a bunch of jealous whiners. Glad she quit that stupid place.

bryantcougle March 21 2014 at 6:32 AM

They asked me to cover up because I am overweight.You just can`t win

Kim March 21 2014 at 2:08 AM

It is my understanding that Planet Fitness is trying to discourage gym bullies. I dont know why this woman was asked to cover up - maybe next to a 300 pound woman in shapeless sweats and a Denver Broncos tee shirt this one looked too intimidating.

Kim Kim March 21 2014 at 5:32 PM

OMG thats hilarious! I see the female Denver Broncos 'linebacker look' in King Soopers before EVERY Broncos game!!!

tertius.kruger March 21 2014 at 4:04 AM

if you call her "fit" what does the other people look like?? lol

SHEILA March 21 2014 at 3:20 AM

they have purple equipment and her outfit...ah, i get it, her pink clashes with the purple
people...

CHRISTINA March 21 2014 at 2:31 AM

"Judge free zone" ??? Right !

wildfl9288 March 21 2014 at 1:56 AM

She should have just got a guest pass for the first visit. Take notice at the workout culture, and what energy she could feel from the client base already in the gym. I don't know what Planet Fitness is like, but years ago, back in Phoenix a gym club I inquired about joining, told me clients could not wear muscle shirts, short sport bras, etc. Had to be full mid-sleeve T-shirts. "What!" Yeah, the guy said, "people don't like seeing other people sweat." I don't understand that, but I do know how upsetting it can be when someone doesn't clean up their sweating mess before moving on to the next workout apparatus. I get motivated working out in a gym with other physically fit members...I say, if she/he can do that "exercise rep and set", and get toned like that, so can I; and, I have, I do, and repeat.

Good for her for quitting and demanding her money back.

DANTHALER March 21 2014 at 3:32 AM

That was actually a modest outfit for woman's workout attire compared to a lot I have seen. I've seen much more revealing attire worn by women playing tennis at times. I thought it was going to be a super tight hot pink spandex outfit with everything popping out (which is why I read the article in the first place) in every direction. Because she didn't have a bra on maybe? Isn't it a pain in the ass to wear a bra when you're trying to workout. No bra, ooooooooh.

Linda DANTHALER March 21 2014 at 4:58 AM

No spagetthi straps. HHHMMM. are they afraid of people flopping around and others gawking at the sight? Probably.
Where I go to the gym, there are no cell phones used in the locker rooms....I figured they must have had pictures taken in the past....
Some people do not seem to know what is appropriate at the gym. I've seen some things where someone should have said something.....