Woman says Planet Fitness told her to cover up because she's too fit

Woman Says Planet Fitness Told Her to Cover Up Because She's Too Fit
A California woman was working out at a Planet Fitness gym when a staff member asked her to cover up because she was too toned. HLN has the details.

'Tiffany Austin says she was at Planet Fitness in Richmond, California and she says employees told her that her toned body was intimidating to other members.'

Austin is recovering from a car accident and had just been told by her doctors to begin resuming some physical activity. She says she chose Planet Fitness because it prides itself on being a "Judgment Free Zone."

On its website, the company says it's a place where 'members can relax, get in shape, and have fun without being subjected to the hard-core, look-at-me attitude that exists in too many gyms.'

Austin was just 15 minutes into her first workout when the employee asked her to cover up. She showed KTVU what she was wearing at the time.

'I don't feel like it's anything crazy, but I mean you can tell me if it's burning your eyes,' she laughs

While Austin's hot pink crop top and capris might not seem like something people would get upset about, Fox News reports a spokesperson for Planet Fitness says it's up to the gym's staff members to decide what's appropriate gym attire.

Austin has since quit the gym and demanded her membership money back.

hmadden March 20 2014 at 7:42 PM

She needs a new gym.

Pat March 20 2014 at 2:03 PM

If it's a "Judgment Free Zone", why are they judging her? I am not fit (yet), but if she were in my gym I would call her figure my goal!!!

WEBMASTER! March 20 2014 at 2:05 PM

She's pretty average looking to me. Why this is even news I dunno.

mvnup March 20 2014 at 2:07 PM

I’ve heard of this in these in these places. They don’t want the people who are dedicated to fitness or large bodybuilder or power lifter type people. I think they think it drives the people away who come in buy a membership come for a month then rarely come back they don’t want the people who show up every day taking up space. This way the gym doesn’t fill up yet they have a high membership of income.

dws51564 March 20 2014 at 2:07 PM

Well, I can see the no exposed mid drift but all in all the outfit isn't that bad. If the gym doesn't allow exposed mid drifts on anyone I can agree it was fair. If not there is a problem

msdaubie54 March 20 2014 at 7:18 PM

Apparently, Planet Fitness is breaking their own mission statement as it were. Where's the "have fun without being subjected to the hard-core, look-at-me attitude" that exists in so many gyms!!!" You blew it on this one Planet Fitness! You owe this woman an apology!

drjin March 20 2014 at 7:13 PM

If she was buck naked, I believe there may have been some concern about her appearance. Since all the "private" parts were properly covered, what's the problem? If you go to a gym, you don't expect to see people in "business" dress. Lighten up! Keep you're cool! All is well.

TIM March 20 2014 at 7:13 PM

People need to grow up and stop crying about every little thing. If you want to look good like her then
work for it.

mvolesker March 20 2014 at 7:12 PM

I have seen women a lot more fit than that at gyms.Sounds like a BS story to me

sakwyc mvolesker March 20 2014 at 7:23 PM

No, I believe it, but she definitely needs to be somewhere else. That's one of the things to watch for when picking a gym is how the clientele dresses, up or down from what you wear or don't wear as the case may be. Hope they refund her money, though, so she can move on if she's interested in 'covering up'. Looks like a pretty modest workout outfit to me, but, oh well.

Dr. J! March 20 2014 at 7:11 PM

So what would they say if a female had a ripped six pack that she was showing off? Clearly the woman in the picture is fit but certainly nothing over the top and she looks just fine. So what if a fat person wore that outfit? What would happen then?