Woman says Planet Fitness told her to cover up because she's too fit

Woman Says Planet Fitness Told Her to Cover Up Because She's Too Fit
A California woman was working out at a Planet Fitness gym when a staff member asked her to cover up because she was too toned. HLN has the details.

'Tiffany Austin says she was at Planet Fitness in Richmond, California and she says employees told her that her toned body was intimidating to other members.'

Austin is recovering from a car accident and had just been told by her doctors to begin resuming some physical activity. She says she chose Planet Fitness because it prides itself on being a "Judgment Free Zone."

On its website, the company says it's a place where 'members can relax, get in shape, and have fun without being subjected to the hard-core, look-at-me attitude that exists in too many gyms.'

Austin was just 15 minutes into her first workout when the employee asked her to cover up. She showed KTVU what she was wearing at the time.

'I don't feel like it's anything crazy, but I mean you can tell me if it's burning your eyes,' she laughs

While Austin's hot pink crop top and capris might not seem like something people would get upset about, Fox News reports a spokesperson for Planet Fitness says it's up to the gym's staff members to decide what's appropriate gym attire.

Austin has since quit the gym and demanded her membership money back.

newbaku March 20 2014 at 8:12 PM

Oh brother---so this is what passes for news in the new millennium. I hurt my knee on a machine at Curves because the place is overseen by people who have NO experience as trainers (the woman who introduced me to the circuit was an 82 year old former kindergarten teacher--I do not kid). I had to ask for my money back, too. Can I make the news??

Tjan22 March 20 2014 at 2:20 PM

What kind of a nation have we become??? "ohh boo hoo... I feel fat and uncomfortable in the gym with the fit person?" Come on! Use it for motivation! She isn't looking at anyone complaining about their attire, she's there to work out! If more people worked out at the gym instead of looking around worrying about others they'd be in better shape! With that said, I don't find her to be all that toned or fit anyway. My old gym was packed with toned, fit superstar women.. I use it as motivation!!!

noteugene March 20 2014 at 7:56 PM

Pretty tame outfit. Maybe it would have been considered risque 70 years ago. Is this a mormon owned gym? Yeah, who could blame her for leaving?

mame521 March 20 2014 at 2:21 PM

She looks good - not that buff - just normal -

italianorlando March 20 2014 at 7:56 PM

This is nothing new for Planet Fitness. They call themselves the "Judgment free zone" but in reality they are THE JUDGEMENT ZONE. A sorry excuse for a (and I use the term lightly) gym. I have worked in the gym industry for a long time and have heard countless stories from people who have been denied entrance to Planet Fitness for many stupid ignorant reasons. Don't get me wrong - Planet Fitness definitely has a niche for the people who want to think they are going to get results. The sad truth is that except for rare cases, it's not the type of place to go if you're serious about getting results. Join a REAL gym.

Iamnot1ofurfans italianorlando March 20 2014 at 8:08 PM

unfortunately ur right, its helpful if u havent been in a while just to get ur feet wet but thats about it

Hola Cubanagirl March 20 2014 at 2:22 PM

This is the most ridiculous crap I have ever heard. Planet Fitness needs to get a grip and stop discriminating against people. I work out at a Planet Fitness in Michigan where there are at least a couple of women working out there who are extremely fit. They both wear much skimpier outfits than the woman in CA and nothing is said to them, despite their "cheeks" hanging out from under their short shorts. Yet I, who was only trying to keep the sweat out of my face and eyes while keeping my hair somewhat in place by wearing a bandana on it, was told I could not cover my hair with any kind of scarf or bandana; only a baseball cap. I DO NOT wear baseball caps and they would not serve my purpose anyway. I was told that a bandana symbolizes gangs. What??? Now that is discriminatory! And the woman in CA is being discriminated against just for being fit.

Denise March 20 2014 at 7:55 PM

I belonged to a gym that didn't allow the crop tops or wife beater t-shirts either. Some people are not comfortable looking at the bodybuilder types and others don't want to look at their hairy armpits.

pamei7 March 20 2014 at 2:28 PM

well there rite only fat people should go there

fspoon March 20 2014 at 7:54 PM

The gym is correct. Her pants are too low in front for a gym. I never see that at our gym and the women have very nice figures. Just sayin'

jwells1008 March 20 2014 at 7:50 PM

So it's not " judgement free"