Which is worse ... eating before bed or going to bed hungry?

Dinner Before Bed Vs. Empty Stomach
You've been busy all day, and now it's 11PM and you haven't even had dinner yet. So, which is worse? Eating late night or sleeping hungry?

We've all heard going to bed on a full stomach will make you fat, but worry no more because that old going to bed on a full stomach saying is older than those jeans you've been trying to fit back into.

Calorie burn- wise, timing doesn't matter much to your body. One calorie is one calorie, whether it's 9AM or 9PM. You can eat before bed without worrying that you'll pack on the pounds. That being said you shouldn't fill up on food like it's on the clearance rack at Rag and Bone. Going to bed stuffed can lead to heartburn, indigestion, and bad dreams.

So, which is worse? Going to bed hungry.

Truth is, you don't need to kill the beast called hunger, just tame him. Have a sensible snack, around 200 to 300 calories like some yogurt with fresh fruit or apple slices with two tablespoons of peanut butter before you venture off to Snoozetown. Believe it or not, the carb-protein combo actually triggers the brain to produce serotonin, which is a calming hormone that helps you sleep better.

Plus, skipping dinner can slow down your metabolism and if you're starving the next day you might overeat. Now that's a double weight gain whammy! So whether it's a small snack or a delicious meal, do what you can to ensure you have some sort of dinner.

nancy mcgrew March 23 2014 at 2:52 PM

If you can't lose on 1,000 calories a day, it does not make much difference!!!!!

stan.note March 23 2014 at 3:47 PM

They're missing the point here. It's not so much about the calories that you risk when you eat just before bed, it's the work you make your digestive system do while you trying to sleep. Just like the rest of your body, your digestive system needs its rest to replenish itself. Not allowing it that on a regular basis, can lead to stomach illnesses.

fitserene March 23 2014 at 3:55 PM

everything is right on target never starve yourself it also affects your thyroid

bh1929 March 23 2014 at 4:47 PM

Shoot her full of yogurt, that will supress her appetite.

razia March 23 2014 at 4:54 PM

Super way of getting the message across to nit wits. WELL DONE!

sopranosly March 23 2014 at 5:11 PM

I love food I eat what I want when I want it . I'm twenty pounds over wieght and have been since my early 40's don't care . Being 56 years old and enjoying life, food and time with my wife is more important then running, being a gym rat and eating crap to stay thin . Don't be a lard ass by pigging out at the buffet or eating chips and ice cream every night and being Idle ...stop looking in the mirror your not 25 anymore and if you are you'r lucky because you'll burn fat by just walking to the end of the driveway. Eat drink and be merry

rtgarton sopranosly March 23 2014 at 6:54 PM

What you say makes sense. Unfortunately, people take eating junk to extremes. To see young woman in their 30's with fat asses and bellies is kind of sad. Down south mac and cheese is considered a food group.

ggena rtgarton March 23 2014 at 7:20 PM

Sorry, rtgarton, I agreed with you, and accidentally pushed the thumbs down icon. I live in the South, and totally agree.

Flag 0 rate up
dal March 23 2014 at 5:20 PM

I lost sixty pounds in four months by eating more meals, not large meals but more. I started by visiting the heart associations web sight and looked up all the heart healthy food and the diabetes associations food list as well. I looked at what I could eat not what I could not and found there are a great many tasty things I can enjoy eating and lose weight at the same time and that would seem to be the best way I know to lose weight and change your diet by finding the things that are good for you and you like to eat then model your new eating habit around it.

hovercom March 23 2014 at 11:35 AM

I find myself not able to eat when I eat too late, after 9:00pm...I prefer to early between 5:00-7:00 & no later....That way the food will be already digested by the time I lay down & then I sleep better...But everyone is different...Do what works for you & YOUR body....

hovercom hovercom March 23 2014 at 11:35 AM

Sorry, that should be sleep in the first sentence...duh...

lou2school hovercom March 23 2014 at 12:51 PM

no problem-we knew what you meant. I agree with you. But sometimes after a very early dinner, if I'm going to be out late in the evening, a small snack is nice. It helps me sleep better.

Flag +2 rate up
Paula March 23 2014 at 5:45 PM

Peanut Butter and Jelly at 2AM.

Howie March 23 2014 at 1:05 PM

Thanks for helping me rid of all the guilt I feel with those late night snacks.