'Vows': In sickness and in health

'Vows': In Sickness and in Health

Just months after Virginia Wettlaufer and Walter Tomenson started dating, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Next came a crash course in commitment.

"I felt a lump in my breast. After about a week of tests they came back and told me that I had cancer. Wally would give me shots, he would give me medicine, he would change bandages and drains. Everything you could imagine that you would never want the person you had been dating for six months to have to see, he had to see or deal with. Me being sick and physically what was wrong with me and what I was going through was my problem. I didn't want Wally, when I was like laying on the couch miserable to have to be sitting home with me. We should be young and going out and having fun."

Hopelessly in love, in sickness and in health, Virginia and Walter fought cancer together. Walter proposed to Virginia at Memorial Sloan-Kettering, the hospital where she had received her treatment.

"My status with cancer now is I have no evidence of the disease. I think if this had happened six months before when I was single and in my early-30's living in New York City it would have been a very different mental fight that I had vs. having just fallen in love with a wonderful person and then being given this challenge. He was 100% the reason that I wasn't gonna crack, I was gonna keep going, that I was gonna fight this and I was gonna win. I was gonna win for him. And for myself. But for us, you know?"

Annette March 23 2014 at 10:39 PM

God bless you both!

bandgwolf March 23 2014 at 5:46 PM

The most challenging and rewarding thing is to have a major responsibility thrust upon oneself,
and deal with it successfully. It is not only Virginia who should thank her lucky stars to have found Walter, it is Walter who should be grateful for having been given the opportunity to mean
lthe difference between life and death to Virginia. What a great gift! I speak from personal experience of a lifetime.
George Wolf

bnmrcr March 23 2014 at 5:39 PM

A feel good story. I'm happy for you both.

dwtomczyk March 23 2014 at 5:16 PM

god bless them

DanLeeJohnson March 23 2014 at 5:08 PM

TRUE LOVE IS JUST THAT== NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE WITH THE LOVED ONE NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME MAY BE... GOD BLESS.... DLJ

mpd7740 March 23 2014 at 5:06 PM

God bless both of you my husband of 15+ years had his own demons and left the entire medical decisions to me and seemed to watch from the bleachers. You met a miracle man who will make your life so special. Wishing you the very best future that two people can ever have.

ngocongchua March 23 2014 at 4:47 PM

Congrats on your recovery and best of all, you got yourself a great man.

tboling57 March 23 2014 at 4:16 PM

God helps those who help themselves. Never give up.

Sandra tboling57 March 23 2014 at 4:41 PM

My dear mom in heaven, always said the same thing.I too say it to my kids & grandkids.

Renee March 23 2014 at 4:01 PM

This is a wonderful story. Brought tears to my eye. Bless you two and your marriage.

Carolyn Renee March 23 2014 at 6:03 PM

This story is certainly wonderful. How lucky they both are to have found each other.

druryjddrury3 March 23 2014 at 3:51 PM

There are such wonderful Men.I did not have cancer thank God, but in my second marriage I found the perfect mate too.After I broke my hip, He could not do enough for me, He bought all new furnitures , from His own saving, new appliances to make it easier for me. Came to see me every single day in the Hospital for 2 months I was in rehab, I got a card every day, to help my moral, He just did not do enough I love Him, Now He is gone, but I will love Him till I die myself.