Stones call off tour after L'Wren Scott's death

Mick Jagger Cancels His Australian Tour

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Rolling Stones have called off tour dates in Australia and New Zealand following the death of Mick Jagger's girlfriend L'Wren Scott.

The iconic band said in a statement Tuesday they "are deeply sorry and disappointed to announce the postponement of the rest of their 14 ON FIRE tour."

Band members thanked fans "for their support at this difficult time."

The Stones were scheduled to play Wednesday in Perth, Australia, and at other stops this week and next week, including Melbourne and Sydney.

Scott, a noted fashion designer, died Monday in New York City of an apparent suicide.

Tickets holders should keep their tickets, the statement said.

Linda March 19 2014 at 6:38 AM

It is very sad that she took her life and I am sure Mick is beyond devastated..........they dated since 2001. That is longer then he was married to Bianca, and longer than he was married to Jerri Hall. So he must have cared for her deeply being with her so long. I feel for him. So sad she took her life as nothing is ever that bad.........and if it was coz of the debt she was in...something like 6.7 million..something like that.....it was not the end of the world. I wonder if she felt a total failure coz everything was going so bad for her in her business? Just sad.

Allien Linda March 19 2014 at 8:57 AM

Isn't Mick a gozillionaire? If it was so bad, how come he didn't bail her out. There's a lot we don't know about, and never will. She probably wanted to get married to him. She might've even wanted kids. Yeah, it's sad that she's dead. A lot of people died yesterday. And just because they don't know Mick Jagger, they didn't get the ink. I'm not trying to be mean spirited, but I guess we're all over Philip Seymore Hoffman's demise, so on to the next famous person we all can vicariously care about. Fame and Fashion=Smoke and Mirrors.

lawrencefishberg Allien March 19 2014 at 10:28 AM

Fact is, you nor I what her life and were really like...secondly, she committed suicide and that is pretty horrible...leave it at that.

Flag +1 rate up
DEEDEE GOOD March 19 2014 at 12:06 PM

Im very sad for her family and friends and very sad for her to think that was her only way out of whatever was bothering her....I wished she had of reached out and got help with whatever but she chose not to.I do hope it wasn't money or a man to make her take her life but we will never know I guess.I do know that I think she was a bit selfish in the way she did this.She texted her assistant and told her to come by knowing what she would find and then waiting till Mick and family was halfway across the world and then doing this knowing what they were doing involved so many people actually thousands of people.I really don't mean to be hard hearted but that part of it was kinda selfish now.Her poor assistant will have nightmares forever or I would anyway.However I hope this lady finds the peace she odviously needed.....

Shnookums March 19 2014 at 10:33 AM

You have to Sign In first to leave a comment.
All things considered, and by that I mean that even if you are the hardest of the core of Stone fans...and still indulging yourself in speculation on the causes of L S demise..., and trust me, I too have done my share, at this time let us all pause in the name of our own universal mortal sanctity. Let Her be remembered for her good and not her demons...
As for the Rolling Stones tour---its the right call, for the Show in this case Must Not Go On!

Leslie March 19 2014 at 10:19 AM

None of you have the right to judge. My husband committed suicide as did the love of my life recently. These folks are mentally ill. The serotonin has left their brains. Mental illness is real and painful. They are incapable of making rational decisions. Do your research before you cast stones. Read about Bipolar and Manic Depression. Take a look at the MRI's of a depressed persons brain. Be forgiving and be supportive of those left behind. It is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. Mental illness is a disease just as much as cancer or heart disease, but there is no preparation for the impending death.

virtuouslady0805 Leslie March 19 2014 at 10:29 AM

I understand mental illness all too well because I've been there and done that. What kept me from offing myself was my deep faith in God and I knew He would deliver me from the pain, hopelessness, and despair I felt for years. I prayed A LOT and I made it without harming myself. I am aware that not everyone believes in God but it is a great start to handling the illness.

And from reading your story, you said serotonin has left their brains. That is true for a lot of cases but depression is also situational. For example, a person who spends years and years in debt or lives in chronic physical pain, can end up being severely depressed for a long period of time. I'm a prime example of both. Once, my situations got better my depression decreased in severity. Things are still not perfect for me but I'm happier than I have ever been.

It really just depends on the situation Leslie. If a person gets out of their terrible situations and they are still depressed, then there may be other things going on in the brain like chemical imbalance.

chasesea Leslie March 19 2014 at 3:35 PM

Very sorry for your losses. You've been there twice where most people only have been there once. Very tragic.

alfredsonnypic March 19 2014 at 4:38 PM

Get Off Mick's Cloud. Give him some space and time to grieve morn. He is a sensitive human being who just lost a dear love one.

BRUCE March 19 2014 at 7:25 AM

There should be no one that doesn't understand that this would not be an appropriate time for them to continue their tour. Let Mick have his time of grievience in peace and be assured the show will go on at a later time.

hendrickspi March 19 2014 at 10:40 AM

The Stones have been such a great rock & roll band for so long, and brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. So, everyone should include L'Wren's family and Mick in our prayers, and have a little understanding and compassion. Loosing a loved one is terrible, but loosing one by suicide is even worse. Maybe The Stones will pick up the tour after Mick has some time to grieve. If they don't, well thanks to Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie for 50 years of great music and great live shows.

jurmik March 19 2014 at 11:09 AM

Thanks Stones for 2 fab concerts I attended, Steel Wheels and Wodoo Lounge. Very sorry about the difficult times you are going through.

bestbunny10 March 19 2014 at 12:18 PM

She apprently killed herself because she was somewhere around $6million in debt and her business was failing. She apprently didn't want financial help from her friends. If all this is true, how sad that someone would end their life over money.
Some of the biggest fashion icons have faced financial ruin at sometime in their lives but have bounced back and become a success again. Her home was paid for, she had people who loved her, she was gorgeous....why kill yourself................?? So sad..

mr41005 March 19 2014 at 8:22 AM

I am impressed. Too many of these celebrities just go on about their business like nothing happened. They seem to think they are too important to not be in the spotlight.