Stars say Peverley has successful heart surgery

Peverley Has Surgery: Hockey Future Unclear

The Dallas Stars say Rich Peverley has undergone successful surgery to correct an abnormal heart rhythm, just more than a week after the forward collapsed on the bench during a game.

Stars general manager Jim Nill says Peverley was released from the Cleveland Clinic on Wednesday, a day after surgery.

Peverley is expected to return Thursday to Dallas. He will be monitored closely and may require further treatment.

The 31-year-old Peverley chose for less invasive treatment after an irregular heartbeat was diagnosed during training camp.

Nill says there is "no decision being made at this time" on if Peverley will play hockey again. He is out this season.

Peverley collapsed during the first period March 11 against Columbus. The game was postponed and will be made up April 9.

Harvey March 19 2014 at 8:53 PM

The main thing is he is ok. If he has to give up his hockey career, at least he is alive, and the rest of his life is ahead of this young man.

ccreindl Harvey March 19 2014 at 11:31 PM

Rich, God bless you, your Stars trainers and all the EMT staff that evening. Your life is yours to do as YOU please. Coming from someone who knows, its all what you make of the situation. Always be a Warrior!

thomas stephen March 20 2014 at 6:44 AM

Ablation was most likely the procedure, it's not surgery, it sometimes is successful, and other times it is not, In either case, I hope he is doing well

pgile thomas stephen March 20 2014 at 10:06 AM

Depending on how you define 'surgery' I suppose. They snake into your left atrium and fry off one or more rogue electrical circuits. Not at all like cracking open your chest, and slicing up your heart. But still.

wpmc49 March 20 2014 at 7:58 AM

Cleveland Clinic is tops in hearts for over 20 years ... Best wishes to Mr. Peverly and he'll be the new "poster athlete" for the clinic.

gkarlington wpmc49 March 20 2014 at 12:06 PM

Hmmmm.

Donald March 20 2014 at 8:50 AM

CCF saved my life 10 years ago. Their heart facility is second to none in North America. Return each year for a heart check up.

GERANNIE March 20 2014 at 12:04 AM

My Husband had open heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic at age 58 and lived to be 83. If you need heart surgery that's the place to be.

dsharkey01 GERANNIE March 20 2014 at 12:29 AM

My mother was there as well. The CLINIC is awesome! Anyone being treated there is EXTREMELY lucky!!!!!!

redsdude2000 GERANNIE March 20 2014 at 12:55 AM

I had a 2 organ transplant there in May 2011. This October, I'll be taking part in my first marathon (at 57)

dsharkey01 redsdude2000 March 20 2014 at 8:23 AM

Bless you. That is awesome! Good luck with your marathon. Amazing.

Flag +1 rate up
jt2 March 19 2014 at 11:28 PM

Heart surgery? Not likely. He had a "procedure", probably an ablation, but you don't have heart surgery and go home the next day.

GERANNIE jt2 March 20 2014 at 12:03 AM

It was a form of heart surgery, probably a pace maker was inserted. My Husband got one and went home the same day later in the day. His was done at the Cleveland clinic. Are you a Doctor? You talk like you think you are.

rfalc32773 March 19 2014 at 11:17 PM

I don't think he had "heart surgery" and was released a day later. Heart surgery is major, major invasive and you're in hospital for at minimum, a week or two. He probably had a heart 'procedure', perhaps cryoablation of the nerves causing the cardiac missfiring and thus the a-fib. I doubt he'll ever play hockey again. But he retires a millionaire - not too bad.

robc1958 rfalc32773 March 20 2014 at 12:11 AM

Why would he not play again? I am much older than him. I had hybrid ablation for a-fib. I lift weights heavy 3 days a week, I run swim hunt canoe. I coach HS football.
I have one of my boys played for me. Now plays NFL had maze surgery for a fib and is back in the nfl after one season on IR.
This player had irregular heart rthymn not a death sentence.

Paul MacLeod rfalc32773 March 20 2014 at 5:36 AM

sure , he could play again.. if the ablation is working and he is taking magnesium, along with low stress management ..

Fran March 20 2014 at 10:19 AM

Take care of your health, it is much more important than hockey!

Iris March 19 2014 at 9:33 PM

He will be better than ever now. And ready to go forward with his career, next season.
God Bless and Good Luck

TODD March 19 2014 at 9:00 PM

I'm reminded of Reggie Lewis, the late Boston Celtic great, who died from an irregular heartbeat during a pick up game,he had a passion and love for his sport, but for him and so many others who died or collasped doing what they loved to do ..they went too young, so Rich, please take heed, listen to your body and remember no sport is worth dying over...