Mall of America breaks ground on expansion, set to double in size

Mall of America Breaks Ground on Expansion, Set to Double in Size

The Mall of America has launched a $325 million expansion that will add another 50 to 75 retailers to the mega mall.

Mall officials kicked off the project Tuesday. The expansion also will add a new Food Hall, underground valet parking and a second atrium.

Also planned are a 342-room JW Marriott Hotel and a seven-story office building.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press (http://bit.ly/1cWEVzZ ) reports the expansion kicks off a 10-year plan to nearly double the size of the Bloomington mall.

The Mall of America already attracts about 42 million visitors a year. Eventually, mall officials hope to bring 60 million visitors a year to the expanded mall.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/03/18/5660114/mall-of-america-kicks-off-expansion.html#storylink=cpy

blueeyessing March 20 2014 at 3:16 PM

"a $325 million expansion that will add another 50 to 75 retailers to the mega mall."

********************

Do they really get that much business? Most malls look like bombed out cities with all of the vacancies and unkempt deserted shop spaces.

wizard2 blueeyessing March 20 2014 at 3:46 PM

Yup they do. The airport is just across the highway from it and there are regular 'shopping trips' flying in everyday from all over the world. Personally I haven't been in it in years, it's always crowdwd.

cleegok March 20 2014 at 10:53 AM

so this is where our tax money is going. another unnessesary stadium we can't barely watch twins games in as well as mall of america tax money we can't see for 10 years. the hot dog sux. my entire life sux. -- samantha sex and the city

roy cleegok March 20 2014 at 12:28 PM

It obviously didn't go to your schools! Really, chill and learn how to write in English.

Pllc15 March 20 2014 at 10:39 AM

Amazing complex attracting as many visitors as Las Vegas does. I went there the week it was opened in 1992. What astounded me was the indoor garage with the capacity of housing over 35,000 cars. They had to with the harsh winters there.

Celticdremr March 20 2014 at 5:40 PM

When malls are going out of business? Mall of America is going to be Ghost Mall of America in 10 years. People only go there to see the biggest mall not to shop in it.

Bill March 20 2014 at 5:41 PM

Nothing says, "Gourmet dining" like "Food Hall."

scary91457 March 20 2014 at 9:59 AM

I don't like malls for the most part. I did my Christmas shopping once, 1990, at the Sawgrass Mall in Sunrise, FL. One of the biggest. It took forever to get from one end to the other, my feet and back were killing me from lugging bags, and then I had to trek all the way back to my car. And even though I have no problem with plenty of time on a treadmill, that day was miserable. At that point, the only thing I wanted was a stiff drink to relax after that horrible experience. I agree that these monster malls now need some sort of monorail system, however, I have found now, that the BEST way to shop is online, and gets the best prices. So unless you're a teenager looking for a group mall thing, why would any sane adult get sucked in by monster malls?!

hattie54 scary91457 March 20 2014 at 2:43 PM

I agree with you on the size of the malls but many are nice.I used to love " mall walking ".Yes, the internet is the best place to shop and often you don't find the size or color you want in a mall store.The Internet has also killed our malls too.:(

http://deadmalls.com/index.html They are on FB now too.

Ed Baggett March 20 2014 at 6:04 PM

Sick of this Starbucks commercial !

JOHN March 20 2014 at 9:44 AM

I live 15 miles from the MOA and seldom shop there. To
crowded, to many people and to many unruly teen's.

green gate farm March 20 2014 at 6:16 PM

And how long will it take to go throught his mall? Over expansion is not a good thing and can actually keep people away. I don't like to shop on the internet either. Here in the Northeast the trend has been going to smaller outdoor malls. Yeah, I know, it's the north and you shop outside. Hey, it's been working. I guess people like the openess and the fresh air.

Erik green gate farm March 20 2014 at 6:57 PM

Minnesota winters are a lot colder than you'll ever find where you are. "Trendy" smaller outdoor malls would not go over so well when it's 40 degrees below zero. People tend to do more things indoors when they encounter such conditions.

Richard March 20 2014 at 11:16 AM

Soon, they'll be charging admission like at Disney. There its $100 for a all day VISIT.