HOA tells cancer survivor to remove pink ribbon inside home

HOA Tells Cancer Survivor to Remove Pink Ribbon Inside Home
One South Florida woman was told by her homeowners' association to remove a large pink breast cancer ribbon she has taped up inside her house.

Linda Karp spoke with "Fox & Friends" anchor Elisabeth Hasselbeck about what her homeowners' association has been saying.

'I haven't heard directly from them other than their bullying when they're walking past my house now this week. But my ribbon still stands. It's still in my doorway, and it will remain there.'

Karp, who beat breast cancer 16 years ago, has rented a villa in the Regent Park complex in Naples, Florida, for the past three years.

The Washington Times reports her homeowner's association notified Karp last Thursday that her pink ribbon was violating the rules set out by the association, which states residents can't place any sign, advertisement or poster on any part of their property.

WFTX reports the homeowners' association refused to be interviewed, but gave a reporter a copy of the rules. Under the signs section, the rules read:

'In order to maintain an attractive community no sign, advertisement or poster shall be exhibited, displayed, inscribed, painted or affixed in, on or upon any part of the properties by an owner or occupant.'

Karp told the station, 'I'm not offending anybody with it. My neighbors are all supportive of breast cancer. I don't know why they're not.'

WFTX says a letter it received from Regent Park says it's considering legal action against Karp if she refuses to remove her ribbon. Karp has reached out to the Susan G. Komen foundation for support in this matter.

cpruitt221 March 20 2014 at 5:27 AM

So she can't have a sign inside her home? How would they even know that? Outside I could understand, but inside the house?

Carl cpruitt221 March 20 2014 at 6:03 AM

Sounds to me, it's on the door and you can see it through the screen door.

kirkandpamstock cpruitt221 March 20 2014 at 6:05 AM

According to the article, second paragraph: "I haven't heard directly from them other than their bullying when they're walking past my house now this week. But my ribbon still stands. It's still in my doorway, and it will remain there."

cathymds March 20 2014 at 6:29 AM

I've been on both sides. Lived in a community with a HOA, and been on the board of the same HOA. I hated them before I was on the board for these rules, but then when I saw how people blatantly disregard the rules, and the community started looking junky, I saw that the rules are there for a reason. Who wants to live in a community where everyone is posting signs for whatever reason, or can paint their house neon pink, or can park cars up on wheels in the front yard? And you cannot just allow one and not another.. that's discrimination. She knew the rules when she moved there. If she didn't like them she should not have moved there.

kwt49 cathymds March 20 2014 at 6:42 AM

I too lived in a HOA complex in Calif., but I strongly disagree with you. My belief then as now is that there were too many little Hitlers who were retired nobody's - probably worked as a clerk in a post office, or something - and all of a sudden as a HOA board member had power and it went to their heads. They were the worst board and forced many good neighbors to sell out or put theiir places up for rent - which eventually made property values drop. Couldn't get them beaten in an election because they had the nomination process closed to all but their other little Hitler friends. Nightmare situation. HOAs suck!

AP March 20 2014 at 6:33 AM

It's not a sign, an advertisement or a poster and for God's sakes it's INSIDE HER HOUSE. I don't wish any members of the Housing Authority to ever have to deal with cancer...but she's had to deal with it, and their blatant ignorance and self-righteousness are beyond ridiculous. Perhaps they prefer she hadn't survived cancer? They need a colonoscopy, but they'll have to get their heads out of the way for the doctor to get there!

svander751 March 20 2014 at 6:34 AM

As a person who lives in a HOA in Florida, my opinion would be to let them take you to court and let the court decide if you can decorate the inside of your home without their control. Where does their control end? Can they decide what clothes you are allowed to wear?

mebennui March 20 2014 at 6:35 AM

If Linda Karp has all her neighbors place Pink Ribbons in their window, then it would meet Conformity Standards-no issues! :)

LouannK March 20 2014 at 6:38 AM

I certainly hope Susan G. Komen foundation does support this woman as she is only showing
her support of the foundation. This woman has survived cancer...

alfie2utoo March 20 2014 at 6:38 AM

I have women in my life, daughters, granddaughters, loved cousins, nieces, and good friends who I dearly love, and despise this hateful scourge of breast cancer. Having said that...isn't it enough already? My brother survived a terrible ordeal with testicular cancer...would he hang a pair of pink 'ornaments' on his doorway honoring his survival? Veterans (wounded warriors) can start hanging their awards for service to the country. The list can go on and on! Unfortunately, here in the world's most litigious country if one can do it? All can do it!! I don't like HOA's for reasons most of us know about. But, where is the line drawn over how far one can go? She was fortunate enough to have survived. What about honoring those who died of breast cancer?

Deborah alfie2utoo March 20 2014 at 6:47 AM

has anyone ever heard "live and let Live?" You all sound like the intruding neighbors. ZDoes a pink ribbon actually harm anyt of you in any way?

BIG POPPA PUMP March 20 2014 at 6:42 AM

This is absurd.

btyreprich March 20 2014 at 6:45 AM

I was a former board member on a HOA and it would be a good gesture for the board to allow the lady to display her pink ribbon for say the month of October. This is the month where we see much in the was of breast cancer awareness.
This way the homeowner has displayed her pink ribbon and the board has shown that it has compassion.
Covenants are in place when you buy your home or condo. If you were not aware of these, then your real estate agent, closing attorney, and yourself did not do your job.

alekhouse btyreprich March 20 2014 at 7:13 AM

This is a great compromise. Good idea, btyreprich.

spinzio March 20 2014 at 6:46 AM

The breast cancer sign is obviously visible from the street. The HOA would not be concerned about it otherwise. It would have been helpful to have seen a photo of it. If it goes to court, the HOA would likely win this one. The woman broke a legal contract by hanging a sign on her door.

World Series