Can these "miracle berries" make any food taste sweet?

Can These
It's like something right out of 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory': tablets you dissolve on your tongue that make sour foods taste sweet.

They're called "Miracle Fruit Tablets" and they're made from a small red berry called miracle fruit, or Synsepalum dulcificum, native to West Africa. So how does it work? The pulp of the berry contains a protein, called miraculin, that binds to the tongue and blocks the taste bud receptors responsible for sour and bitter flavors for up to an hour. Lemons taste like lemonade, vinegar tastes like apple juice, and strawberries taste like candy.

Miracle berry tablets make for great flavor-tripping parties, but they may also have other benefits. Some health experts says the berries could reduce the dependence of sugar in our diets. And according to a study done at Mount Sinai Medical Center, the fruit may help make food more palatable for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

When the EyeOpener anchors tried the berries, they were pretty impress by how sweet a lemon suddenly became ... but that's about the only food that truly tasted better. The berries are definitely not a magic 'make vegetables taste like candy' pill. Brussels sprouts still tasted very much like Brussels sprouts, and bitter chocolate still had its trademark kick. So to answer the question posed in the headline: no, "miracle" fruit tablets do not make all (or even most) food taste sweet.

The tablets are not yet FDA approved, so you might not want to dash to the store just yet.

Brian Workman March 23 2014 at 2:12 PM

BORING!

Lynne From FSNY March 23 2014 at 7:34 PM

I HAVE A RARE DISORDER CALLED DISGUSIA, AND SO I LIVE WITH THE TASTE OF EXTREME SALT FOR EIGHT YRS. NOW..NO MATTER WHAT I EAT..IT IS AS SALTY AS THE OCEAN WATER..LIKE ROCK SALT. I PRAY TO GOD THAT THIS DOES NOT TAKE MY SANITY..NOBODY REALLY UNDERSTANDS HOW DRAINING IT IS TO DEAL WITH..NOT TO GO AWAY FOR ONE SECOND...AND I HAVE SEEN MANY ORAL SURGEONS AND OTHER SPECIALISTS.. THEY SAY THERE IS NOT A THING THAT COULD BE DONE ABOUT IT...I WONDER IF THESE BERRIES WOULD DO ANYTHING...

babyloie1 Lynne From FSNY March 23 2014 at 9:36 PM

It can't hurt to try. Check it out with your doctor first.........

ghibliss Lynne From FSNY March 23 2014 at 9:38 PM

I too suffer from disgeusia. It started after I had undergone a surgical procedure about 2 yrs ago. I can taste things; however, the salty taste returns about 3 seconds after I finish eating. I tried the berries....forget it; they are a waste of money. They didn't do a damn thing except cause me to waste $20!!

umatyly37 March 23 2014 at 12:28 PM

LOL....
good story evelyon7

jvptae March 23 2014 at 3:13 PM

Miracle Berries have been around for a long time and their affect on foods is well known and studied. A company tried to market the concept/product in the early 70's. Cyclamate had been banned. Nutrasweet was not discovered yet/approved and Saccaharin was the only approved artificial sweetener with wide acceptance.

What's Shakin T March 23 2014 at 8:28 PM

" And according to a study done at Mount Sinai Medical Center, the fruit may help make food more palatable for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

This berry and marijuana is good news for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

dickn2000b March 23 2014 at 12:03 PM

This is the same story AOL ran last week. How many more times will this inane fluff piece be foisted upon the readers? Get some new material AOL.

pjgblg March 23 2014 at 11:47 AM

Only miraculous to the people who sell them

PEACHES + PABLO March 23 2014 at 8:13 AM

I have three or four miracle fruit trees. They do make lemons taste sweet.

dennismlns PEACHES + PABLO March 23 2014 at 9:02 AM

Yes they do, now all you need is the $45,000,000.⁰⁰ processing plant and you're ready to go.

nuttberry PEACHES + PABLO March 23 2014 at 10:53 AM

I understand that Miracle Fruit trees are very difficult to grow and need very special requirements so well done for having these trees.

johnny_smith85 nuttberry March 23 2014 at 4:50 PM

I grow these bushes. There not trees. And only the fresh berry's work. Berry's last about 3 days.

Flag 0 rate up
evelyon7 March 23 2014 at 12:16 PM

MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND , WORLD GO ROUND, REMINDS ME OF THE EXTREAMLY WEALTHY MAN WHO STUFFED ALL HIS POCKEST WITH GOLD BEFORE HE DIED AS HE WAS TERMINALLY ILL. WHEN HE REACHED HEAVEN PETER ASKED HIM WHY HIS POCKES WERE BULGING. THE MAN SAID I WORKED TOO HARD TO LEAVE ALL THIS GOLD BEHIND. PETER MOTIONED THE MAN TO ENTER AND SAID I DON'T KNOW WHY ANY ONE WOULD WANT TO BRING PAVEMENT INTO HEAVEN.

carnut122 March 23 2014 at 8:41 AM

Put it in products instead of sugar.

1414205344858