Calif. Teens Rescue 94-Year-Old Woman From House Fire

Calif. Teens Rescue 94-Year-Old Woman From House Fire
Three California high school students are being credited with saving an elderly woman from her burning home Monday.

KNTV reports the fire broke out at a home in San Ramon Monday morning. A 94-year-old woman and her 71-year-old daughter were inside when it caught fire.

The three teens told Bay Area News Group they noticed the house was on fire while they were skipping class and on their way to McDonald's for breakfast.

"As we're coming down the street, we see smoke rising from this house. Just throwing flames, smoke and everything."

The 71-year-old was able to make it out of the home with minor injuries, but the teenage boys went in to rescue the 94-year-old who was burned in the fire.

Also inside trying to help was the woman's 76-year-old neighbor. He said: "she would have been gone a minute and a half more. ... I don't think she could have survived. I went in there and couldn't see my hand in front of my face." (Via NBC)

And while the students may have been cutting class, their high school principal says he's proud of what they did.

"Exceptionally proud that the three young men would reach out and do something like that because they could've easily just kept walking."

According to KTVU, the unnamed 94-year-old is recovering in the burn unit at a San Francisco hospital. The three boys were also able to help rescue the woman's dog.

mcager March 19 2014 at 12:44 PM

Shame on them for skipping class but major kudos for saving the lives of the 94 year old woman and her dog. I hope these young heroes have exceptionally bright futures.

Connie March 19 2014 at 1:42 PM

Three TRUE heroes! I think God wanted you guys to cut school that day....(at least you can always use that line....) :)

pschemke March 19 2014 at 1:54 PM

Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time. It restores my faith in the younger generation. They did the right thing. Let's hear more about teens who do good things.

bazingababe24 March 19 2014 at 1:58 PM

If only Ferris Bueller had saved someone on his day off, he might be more sympathetic. Great job, guys!

drsreflect March 19 2014 at 2:01 PM

Good for these young men!!! The were there by the Grace of God and are wonderul youth!.

meepstein drsreflect March 19 2014 at 2:30 PM

Then why didn't G-D prevent the fire to begin with?

ChingOW Mango meepstein March 19 2014 at 2:36 PM

For the same reason he allowed you to be born.

Flag +1 rate up
mizzb8864 March 19 2014 at 2:03 PM

Even though they skipped school, they were in the right place at the right time. They were meant to be there that day.

Joan March 19 2014 at 2:07 PM

Kids raised right, with good values. Kudos to their parents. So, they skipped class, no different than a kid feigning illness to get out of going to school. Good for them.

angela March 19 2014 at 2:18 PM

there you go! who says that all teenagers are bad, those teens put their life in danger to help, when other people wals right pass people when it is clear they need help! it happened to me in a doggie park i feel and broke my leg and the park was full of people with their dogs i screamed my head off for help no one came forward even when i called people by name, than one lady saw the dogs all over me licking me etc and she came to me and called the emmergency, it was plain day time, sometimes i just cant understand how people mind works, so i admire those kids for what they did, they could have been killed doing that, and i hope people takes note of it and next time they see someone that needs help dont walk away!! one day it might be you!!

ChingOW Mango March 19 2014 at 2:23 PM

Sometimes God just plants you where you are meant to be. What brave young men - it is so nice to read something so positive about kids today. I totally agree with the principal - they are something to be proud of. I think this experience will change the lives of all three in a very positive way. If anyone has anything to say about them cutting class - hey who hasn't! If you haven't maybe you should have. Now be quite and say something nice about these 3 wonderful young men!!!!!

cherieloren March 19 2014 at 1:33 PM

Kudo's to these 3 young men! It is so wonderful to hear good news about young people today. You are truly hero's and I salute you. God bless!