Unbelievable facts about your favorite authors

Unbelievable Facts About Your Favorite Authors

Before becoming wildly successful with The Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum wrote another book about ... chickens. The book of the Hamburgs detailed how to raise hamburgs, a prized breed of chicken. We much prefer his other work.

Jodi Picoult, author of My Sister's Keeper, is a wonderful writer. So wonderful that in 2007, she wrote a series of Wonder Woman comics.

Carolyn Keene is the author of Nancy Drew ... but if you want to meet her, you'll have to wait an awfully long time. "Carolyn Keene" is a pseudonym used by the many writers of Nancy Drew. Mystery solved!

J.M. Barrie is known for creating Peter Pan, but did you know he also impersonated his dead brother? J.M. pretended to be his late brother for his aging mother, because he was her favorite.

Dan Brown penned The Da Vinci Code & Angels and Demons, but before that he was a singer. His discography includes children's music and religious songs. Sing it Danny!

no1gum March 22 2014 at 10:58 PM

I used to love Nancy Drew stories. I thought I read somewhere that the same author, whoever it was, wrote the Hardy Boys books as well.

Deborah March 22 2014 at 4:03 PM

I always loved that series as a kid. I doubt the kids who read them care I sure don't although someone should get the royalties and credit for making kids smile.

jdm61cc Deborah March 22 2014 at 5:04 PM

I do believe that Simon and Schuster gets those royalties. They bought the franchises in 1987. Most of the peo;e who wrote the later books were employees, so those books would be "work for hire" and belong to the Stratemeyer Organization and later Simon and Schuster.

Valerie March 22 2014 at 3:32 PM

My first Nancy Drew book was The Secret of the Old Attic. My bedroom was next to our attic door! Scary stuff for me then. Those books made me love to read.

cafebeege Valerie March 22 2014 at 5:02 PM

I LOVED Nancy Drew so much I would stay up past bedtime with the flashlight to read under my covers to see if my "hunch" was right in solving the mystery.

I had the whole original series from my mother when she was young. She had signed each as she finished them, then I did in my childish script. My sister SOLD them at a garage sale without my knowledge !!!! Wish I could find them .... ;o(

ebarnish March 22 2014 at 3:29 PM

I can't remember what books first drew my interest. My mother had a lot to do with my love of reading. She read the "Honeybunch" series/westerns to me. My grade school teachers continued my education by reading a variety of books to their students. I do remember a lot of Walter Farley---"The Black Stallion" series, many animal books, books about lives of U.S. presidents. One of my most precious memories is the bookmobile coming to my gradeschool. Nevada Barr is one of my present favorites. I compare her to Stephen King except most of her mysteries are more realistic (not as scary) and take place in national parks(animals/environment theme, of course). And I also like Lisa Scottaline (sp.?) and John Grisham for their legal thrillers. So many great storylines, so little time!

Gail March 22 2014 at 3:26 PM

Mildred Benson was the writer of the Nancy Drew books and lived many years in Toledo, Oh and wrote a column for the Toledo Blade and did so right up to her death in 2002 at 96

Chala Gail March 22 2014 at 4:48 PM

You're absolutly right. She didn't broadcast her involvement, though. The Blade did so, mostly after her death.

Karen March 22 2014 at 3:25 PM

Carolyn Keene was a pseudonym! I grew up loving Nancy Drew - am 70 now and still like mysteries.

bebromana March 22 2014 at 2:12 PM

I already knew that. They had a program on PBS on the woman who created the character and wrote a number of the early books. Her name was Mildred Benson. I believe she wrote some of the Hardy Boys novels as well. She was an elderly woman when the PBS program was done.

tbush4642 March 22 2014 at 1:38 PM

A majority of the "Nancy Drew" books were penned by Mildred Wirt Benson who also wrote for a Toledo, Ohio newspaper.

jdm61cc tbush4642 March 22 2014 at 5:05 PM

She stopped writing them in 1947.

AaronCBurke March 22 2014 at 1:33 PM

V.C. Andrews is Andrew Neiderman.

Cheryl March 22 2014 at 1:32 PM

Anyone remember The Boxcar Children Series?

bethanysoma Cheryl March 22 2014 at 1:38 PM

I loved the Boxcar Children! But I didn't know it was a series. It was my favorite book until I was old enough to read Nancy Drew.

World Series