Maria Shriver's new mission

Maria Shriver Paycheck To Paycheck INTV
Shriver speaks out to AOL.com on her passion project spotlighting mothers on the brink of poverty

It's a story of one mother struggling to survive the day-to-day with her three children even with a full-time job. Katrina Gilbert, a full-time nursing assistant who cares for the elderly, gets paid $9.49 an hour. Though she's been married, the 30-year-old gets no financial support from her ex-husband causing her to scrape every penny she earns to survive.

Gilbert is one of 42 million American women living on the brink of poverty despite working so hard to fulfill their American Dream, according to NBC Special Anchor, Maria Shriver.

Shriver's "The Shriver Report" has teamed with HBO to tell Gilbert's story in an hour-long documentary "Paycheck to Paycheck: The Life and Times of Katrina Gilbert". The documentary follows the arduous daily life of the Tennesee mom who's only wish is to get her college degree.

Gilbert's story is highlighted in Maria Shriver's latest work partnering the Shriver Report with HBO for an hour-long documentary "Paycheck to Paycheck: The Life and Times of Katrina Gilbert."

Shriver, also a mother of four, tells AOL.com's Dr. Karen Latimer, why she chose to focus on women like Gilbert. "The goal was really to put a face on those figures," says Shriver, "It's kind of hard to imagine 42 million. What are their lives like? The truth is millions and millions, even more than that, Americans can identify Katrina's life of living paycheck to paycheck. The choices you have to make, how difficult it is. And we wanted to shine a light on women who are doing it all but barely hanging on."

Shriver says that Gilbert surprised her in an unexpected way. "I think what continuously surprises me is how positive women like Katrina are and how inspiring she is and how hopeful," Shriver said. "When you're around people who have so much more than Katrina and they're complaining, myself included. My cellphone doesn't work, I can't get here... and I watch Katrina it's humbling."

For more on Maria Shriver's HBO documentary "Paycheck to Paycheck: The Life and Times of Katrina Gilbert" head over to HBO.com or ShriverReport.org to watch the full film for free. And for more conversations like this one, visit AOL.com

flasheey March 18 2014 at 7:12 PM

Do Not Have HBO to watch this story. I saw a peview and really wanted to watch it but I cannot Not No HBVO.. I did go to ShriverReport.org adn the link says Sorry Not Found.

The main issue here, This is a story that needs to be brought out to everyone not just HBO people. If they have HBO the probably dont know what paycheck to paycheck means. This should be broadcasted on a very large local air station. Does not good if it is kepy in hiding! Thank You.

cfishernj March 19 2014 at 9:06 AM

We've lived like that, from paycheck to paycheck, for 54 years, but god has always supplied our needs. All of our children finished college and are fine, productive adults. We have been blessed.

suedora March 18 2014 at 7:10 PM

Good for Maria Shriver. She represents the best of the Kennedy family. Those members who really care about those who are less fortunate. As for one of the posters here who suggests that if she "improved herself" she could have kept Arnold--pardon me, I think it was Arnold who needed some major improvements!

ktz1017 March 19 2014 at 10:23 AM

Don't need to watch it. Lived it.

sjm337161753 March 18 2014 at 7:26 PM

I haven't seen the program, but surely, Ms. Gilbert could petition in her local Family Court for child support from her deadbeat ex-husband. Here in NY people can do that without an attorney, the form is supplied by the Family Court. I'm sure it's no different in TN.

dwnrgrv60515 March 18 2014 at 7:28 PM

You have to Sign In first to leave a comment.serable kennedys quite ******* the blood of average Americans

joycec216 March 19 2014 at 9:24 AM

Why isn't the father paying child support? He has an obligation to pay for his children also.

JANE March 18 2014 at 10:35 PM

A good start would be to make the dead-beat, lazy POS dad start paying child support. I always liked Maria and glad to see her focusing on more positive things. Also putting distance between herself and that idiot, spermanator Ahnold.

booboodog March 18 2014 at 7:48 PM

YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL SCAMERS WHEN THEY POST STUFF NOT RELATED TO WHAT AOL IS POSTING! WHY CAN'T AOL DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE PEOPLE, THEY'LL SCUM!

dgould497 March 18 2014 at 9:24 PM

Thank you, Maria. I was supporting a family of 8 on ten dollars an hour. I fell further behind every month. Now the family is down to 5. Still struggling but not quite as tense. Feel bad about always saying "no, we can't afford it," but with the help of food stamps we are surviving. I'm living in Florida and making just over 15k annually so I have no insurance and due to Florida's denial of AFC, I won't have any for the foreseeable future. Bad cataracts for the last eight months and just received word that the Lion's Club will help me with that. So, I am thankful for the charities that do help those of us who are doing our best.

opinionabouteverything dgould497 March 18 2014 at 9:35 PM

Part of the solution is to get Scott out in the next election.