Woman blames Scientology for breaking up her family

Woman Blames Scientology for Breaking Up Her Family

A woman in Florida is blaming the Church of Scientology for tearing apart her family. "Good Morning America" has more.

According to Daily Mail, Sara Goldberg's son Nick Lister questioned the Church and was labeled a "suppressive person." Thus, the church shunned him. Goldberg chose to support her son, resulting in her being shunned as well.

That's when her daughter Ashley brought up a heartbreaking proposition.

'She said 'I hate this disconnection thing, Mom, but I'm gonna have to disconnect from you.' I held her tight, I told her I loved her. That's the last time I saw her. It was horrible.'

Goldberg told the Tampa Bay Times she mailed Ashley a letter that read, 'No mother should ever have to go through this loss of a child and grandchild. I love you more and more and always did and will.'

However, Ashley emailed her the next day asking her to stop contacting her. Although Goldberg and her son remain close, she is still separated from both her daughter and her granddaughter.

Dave March 18 2014 at 2:24 PM

I have a neice and nephew who I have no idea where they are and I lost a sister in law to cancer after Scientology delayed treat ment until it was too late. They were going to "cure" here. Read the book by Miscavage's neice to get the real inside story.

aljoramaggio March 18 2014 at 2:57 PM

The question about Scientology, and other cults, is what exactly is it all about?
The thing about why the mainstream religions have been practiced for thousands of years, is that (even exempting all of the minor gods and goddesses, saints, miraculous happenings, traditions built upon older religions, or occasionally corrupted or ineffectual leaders within them), they all have a sound philosophy at their core. That philosophy is that life is on a continuum. Since energy is never fully destroyed, it has to go somewhere, and we have the ability to reason and to change our environment (in a way that animals and plants cannot), there must be a purpose for our existance. Whether one religion believes in reincarnation, a heaven, or just an alternate plane or universe, they all have at their core a philosophy of being a better person by helping not only ourselves, but others, to reach a higher potential, nirvana, heaven, in the life to come.
The mainstream religions build people up, (for whatever that higher purpose is), not tear them down, as cults do by shunning, disconnecting, or whatever.

Nancy March 18 2014 at 3:05 PM

It is a cult NOT a church !!!

anothergent007 March 18 2014 at 3:12 PM

i wonder when they will drink koolaid

rbnhall6 anothergent007 March 18 2014 at 3:40 PM

Heres hoping, and please let Tom Cruise drink the first cup!!! For those of you that don't know, over 900 people drank cyanide koolaid (men,women and children) and died in a south american jungle for their cult.

hey March 18 2014 at 3:15 PM

some people can not learn, I don't care what religion you follow if it tells you to shun family or friends or to break the law run as fast as you can, muslims are the worst if my religion told me to kill I would run, if fact my religion tell me not to judge others let god and courts do that

chsgroupjj March 18 2014 at 3:22 PM

In the end, people make their own decisions and this daughter chose to cut her mother & brother out of her life. Hopefully the daughter will change her mind someday.

Kristine March 18 2014 at 3:30 PM

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"

wmccreery Kristine March 18 2014 at 3:33 PM

Well Said!!

wdaniel152 Kristine March 18 2014 at 3:45 PM

That's profound! Is a quote? What's the source?
(You put it in quotation marks; that's why I wondered.)

stpeteguy0404 March 18 2014 at 3:34 PM

When you see them in Clearwater the all walk around like they are on drugs

Paul J Reese March 18 2014 at 3:37 PM

Family is the most important thing in Your LIFE !
than your health,,,
Nothing Should or could ever come between you.

Brother Bob Paul J Reese March 18 2014 at 3:43 PM

The Father God created family, He desires family life, nothing should seperate mother or father from their children. Only demonic cults do that. We need to pray for this mother and her children, pray that God will defeat the stronghold of this cult so they can be together. Pray in Jesus Name.

Michael Brother Bob March 18 2014 at 3:51 PM

Very well said. I wish someone could get through to my duaghter,who is a Jehovah Whitness, as they have told her to stay away from our family as we would corrupt her.

Flag +5 rate up
dinksid Brother Bob March 18 2014 at 3:58 PM

I pray in agreement with my brother bob in JESUS name

Flag +2 rate up
Michael March 18 2014 at 3:40 PM

Sounds like the Jehovah Witnesses. They do the same thing in order to control its members.. It's all about control, not the teaching of forgiveness.

inthewood88 Michael March 18 2014 at 4:21 PM

Compared to the ones that believe in an invisible, magic man who lives in the clouds and has a flesh eating zombie for a son.