Winter not yet done, more snow for parts of US

By PAM RAMSEY
Mar. 17, 2014 7:08 AM EDT

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - Winter-weary motorists faced another treacherous commute Monday in parts of the Mid-Atlantic as snow and frigid weather blew in just days before the start of spring.

At least a few inches of snow were reported in the Washington area and parts of West Virginia, Pennsylvania and New Jersey by early Monday.

In Washington, crews worked overnight to clear snow, but transportation officials warned that roads were still dangerous. Heavy snow closed Reagan National Airport's runways. Dulles International Airport and BWI were seeing many cancelations, but were open.

Forecasters urged drivers not to let their guards down and federal offices in the Washington area were closed for the day Monday.

In New Jersey, the heaviest snow was reported in the southern part of the state, where many schools were closed or delayed opening.

Patience was wearing thin for many.

"Never thought of March as being Spring. But snow, yeah, I'm over snow," said Jackie Denham, who was at a grocery store in Alexandria, Va., on Sunday.

Rain and thunderstorms were expected in the Southeast, some of which could be strong.

Winter's return follows several days of spring-like temperatures. With spring officially starting Thursday, people weary of shoveling snow are hoping that the latest storm will be winter's final encore.

Ricardo Contreras, an upholsterer from Harrisburg, Pa., said he was tired of the winter and had no plans to shovel whatever might fall overnight.

"I'll just let it melt by itself," Contreras said.

Engineer Bill Bingham, heading into the West Shore Plaza in Lemoyne, Pa., for Sunday breakfast, said he was most looking forward to playing some golf for the first time in many months.

"I really like the winter, but I'm done with the snow now," Bingham said. "I'm ready for spring."

Richard Windsor of Jackson, N.J., said he was not that impressed by the new storm system. Several previous storms this season dropped 10 or more inches of snow in the state.

"With the winter we've had, I'm not worried about an inch or two of snow," Windsor said as he gassed up his sport utility vehicle Sunday morning. "I figure if I made it through the stronger storms, I can handle this."

Temperatures in many areas are expected to be in tune with spring by Thursday. But forecasters cannot say whether winter weather will finally end. Forecasters said snowstorms are typical through March.

___

Contributing to this report were Associated Press writers Ed Donahue in Washington, D.C.; Grant Schulte in Des Moines, Iowa; Mark Scolforo in Harrisburg, Pa.; Bruce Shipkowski in Trenton, N.J.; and Phillip Lucas in Atlanta.

scottee March 17 2014 at 7:47 AM

for Washington, DC.
it couldn't happen to a nicer group.
ps
a headline today is: Obama To Vladimir Putin: U.S. Ready To 'Impose Additional Costs' For Ukraine.
that was a campaign promise to the voters here . why not Russia, too?

please notice that the people who work for a living are overwhelmed by the people who vote for a living. how is that sustainable or honorable?

Kate March 17 2014 at 12:04 PM

In upstate New York in the Catskill region, March is famous for snow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will be spared any more severe storms-- like most of the country, they've had it to the gills with the white stuff.

david.konen March 17 2014 at 12:03 PM

I've come up with a phrase for the time between Winter and Spring - "The WINTER that NEVER ends" OR "The SPRING that NEVER comes" (rofl and lmao)

flysalot2 March 17 2014 at 11:53 AM

Dang!!!!! And it was about 80 degrees here in California Sunday with clear skies. We may have it good weather wise but we have the most imperious politicians of any state in the nation.

Kate flysalot2 March 17 2014 at 12:05 PM

We had lovely weather for the past week here in the Bay, too. I think you're forgetting one small thing about our politicians, however: they're elected.

rpie197849 March 17 2014 at 11:11 AM

around 7 inches here in Townsend, De

GCooper402 March 17 2014 at 10:42 AM

I hope mr stan king in harrisburg PA loves his move back home LOL

Lynda March 17 2014 at 10:19 AM

I am sick of snow/ cold/ howling wind/ frozen doors/ frozen water/ frozen feet, hands, face/ I'm cold ....depressed.....and want to choke the groundhog. Happy St. Pattys' Day..... Hurry Spring!!!

flysalot2 Lynda March 17 2014 at 12:02 PM

Hey Lynda, when all of that snow and ice melts, could you please pump some of that to California. We need it. If it doesn't start raining here soon and snowing in the mountains, the politicians are already talking about allowing us to bathe here once a week.

wegiveyoumore March 17 2014 at 10:03 AM

Hello? Anybody give a hoot about Delaware? He're BURIED.

rpie197849 wegiveyoumore March 17 2014 at 11:09 AM

Still digging out here in Townsend, De

purvjam March 17 2014 at 9:17 AM

Biggest snow storm of the year ,north of 10", where the heck is Global Warming? North Cape May surrenders.

csnowangel20 purvjam March 17 2014 at 10:52 AM

Hello neighbor! I am about a mile from NCM, near the bridge. Still waiting for it to stop so I can shovel. Stay safe.

r_porterfield March 17 2014 at 8:20 AM

Dear Old Man Winter, I hate you. The end.

World Series