More Police Officers to wear body cameras

More Police Departments Equipping Officers With Body Cameras

(AOC)
Police officers are there to watch over citizens, and now technology is helping citizens watch over the officers - and anyone they come in contact with.

(VO)
CNN reports more and more cities are trying out body-mounted cameras for officers to wear while on duty. The Los Angeles Police Department is already using it, while the New York Police Department is reportedly "reviewing" the cameras.

(VO)
Denver's police department is getting them too. (Via KCNC)

(SWV) - KCNC 30 -
"Individuals make allegations of 'The officer did this' or 'The officer did that' or the officer makes allegations that 'I did this' or 'I did that based on the incident that I was involved in.' It's right there on the camera."

(VO)
The cameras come in a couple different forms. KABC reports they can be attached to an officer's sunglasses or clipped onto the shirt in the shoulder or chest area.

(VO) - taser international pics
Supporters of the officer-cameras say they help with gathering evidence and can sometimes stop excessive and unnecessary force from officers. (Via TASER International)
[http://www.taserbranding.com/law-enforcement-products/on-officer-video/axon-flex/press-images/axon-flex-accessories-shots/]

(AOC)
But opponents say the constant filming poses a serious privacy risk, since many innocent people could be picked up by the cameras.

(VO)
Overall, the ACLU vouches for the practice, saying as long as the policies dealing with major issues, like when the cameras are turned on and what happens to the footage, are smart, body-mounted cameras are "a win for all."

(AOC)
A police chief in California told CNN that in just one year of using the cameras, complaints against the department's officers dropped from 60 to just three.

pnmcquis March 17 2014 at 7:06 AM

so i wonder if the police are acting differently because they are being filmed?

vendelavee pnmcquis March 17 2014 at 8:30 AM

Everybody acts differently when the know they are being filmed. You would too!

ajl3324 March 17 2014 at 7:44 AM

The true measure of a person's character is what they would do if they knew no one would find out. The echo = because they know someone is watching, they behave.

John Hinckley March 17 2014 at 9:27 AM

Cops don't deal with nice, courteous, logical, educated, friendly, and helpful people during most of their assignments - they deal primarily with violent, drunken, dope-fueled, ignorant, useless scumbag criminals who contribute zero to society and should be locked up for life. These are the people the ACLU, Jesse and Al, and the other minority whiners keep trying to protect, and just the sight of a cop sends them into spasms of discrimination complaints.

If the cop is OK with a camera, that's fine with me - if he's not, he shouldn't be forced to wear one; the left-wing liberal do-gooders should be supporting the police, not making it more difficult for them to get their job done.

ohioh111b111y March 17 2014 at 9:04 AM

I was doing my grocery shopping a few weeks ago. Was about four blocks from home.... enjoying my music and being a law abiding citizen. Saw a police officer sitting waiting for someone to run the stop sign that Ive known about for 20 yrs. I stop, go along my way and two stop signs later, round the bend, almost a mile since Ive seen the PO, she is in back of me with her lights on.

She asks me: do you know why I stopped you?
Me: I have absolutely no idea why you would stop me.
PO: You ran that stop sign.
Me: I most certainly did NOT run that stop sign.
PO: yes you did.
Me: I live around the corner. Ive stopped at that sign for the last 20 yrs.
PO: no, you didn't.
Me: ok, well, give me a ticket then. But I didn't run that stop sign.
PO: well... I'll just give you a warning.
Me: PLEASE give me a ticket if I ran that stop sign. I insist!
PO: I'm just giving you a warning today.
Me: please Officer, if I ran that stop sign, I deserve a ticket.
PO throws my license and registration back at me and walks away.

Yes, do put cameras on cops.

ohioh111b111y March 17 2014 at 8:55 AM

Policing the police..... we're not saying we don't trust the police but....

we don't trust the police.

BRUCE March 17 2014 at 8:42 AM

Will keep some guns holstered during situations that can be resolved using safer methods. Will also leave no shadow of a doubt about some criminal cases that might otherwise be questionable as to guilt. Overall a great idea....

frant100 March 17 2014 at 8:38 AM

This will make a slight increase in the number of people who behave a little better if they know they are being video recorded. Once they know the way they act will be on film for court, some will be better behaved. Those that are not will really screw themselves over in court for their actins.

gluwman March 17 2014 at 8:37 AM

Please omit *those*

klj5079 March 17 2014 at 10:10 AM

Long overdue, technology is being utilized everywhere else....why not here? Oh, someone is going to holler, INVASION OF PRIVACY......

vendelavee March 17 2014 at 8:28 AM

I'm all for it. The Cops abuse their authority and break the law all the time. As our police forces have become more militarized and they have become more abusive. It sucks for any employee to have everything they say and do recorded for later review, but the police have been getting way with abuse for decades and this is a needed reform.

gluwman vendelavee March 17 2014 at 8:38 AM

If you are do as you are told, no problems.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal