Man Googling Himself Finds Warrant, Turns Himself In

Man Googling Himself Finds Warrant, Turns Himself In
File this one under all-time backfires.

ANCHOR: "A California man is in jail after apparently Googling his name and finding out he was on the most wanted website. The 27-year-old looked himself up on Google and saw his mugshot on the website."(Via WFTS)

ANCHOR: "Some people say we're on an ego trip when we do this. Here's one ego trip that went bad. That's Christopher Viatafa. He actually turned himself in." (Via MSNBC)

So give the guy some credit. When he saw his mug, he didn't run from the problem.

Local media outlets like the San Jose Mercury News report police in San Leandro had a warrant out for Viatafa's arrest after they say he fired a gun into the ground several times during a party back in August. The shots didn't hit anyone.

So when he found his name and mugshot posted on the San Francisco Bay Area website NorthernCaliforniaMostWanted.org, he turned himself from wanted fugitive into captured fugitive.

A statement released by San Leandro Police Friday to ABC read, "Although it wasn't good judgment that landed him on the website, he did use good judgment to turn himself in after seeing his photo."

Viatafa was wanted for discharging a firearm toward an inhabited dwelling. KTVU in San Francisco reports the most wanted website where he saw himself has only been up since December.

Barry Pearson March 17 2014 at 7:24 PM

We should all spend some time searching sites for pictured criminals and then,
if we recognize them simply turn them into the Police. Let's get "Low Life" off
of the streets of America ASAP!

jktkw March 17 2014 at 11:35 AM

moron

lstinvgs March 17 2014 at 2:18 PM

Most Wanted,, for killing grass,,, holy ****,, I better check the most wanted list, I killed a rose bush last fall,, and it was premeditated...

ksh.harris lstinvgs March 17 2014 at 2:27 PM

omg roflmbo!!! i should turn myself in for similar infarction against our green friends

gigabytz lstinvgs March 17 2014 at 2:42 PM

did you use a machete? would have been fun to watch the horror ..lol

meyanagrundy21 March 17 2014 at 2:15 PM

There could be a post about the world ending & you will have little winey childish adults complaining about taxes. "So I have been paying taxes for 1987328743 years just for it to end? This is all obamas fault, this is republicans fault, blah, blah, blah" please shut up & get a grip. Paying taxes is apart of living. You will have to do it no matter how much you complain about it. People always find a way to insert comments that have nothing to do with the story.

meyanagrundy21 meyanagrundy21 March 17 2014 at 2:21 PM

like i did . lol

gigabytz meyanagrundy21 March 17 2014 at 3:17 PM

so this means your "pro" for paying to cage,feed,and clothe this outstanding citizen !!! cudos to you !

experimenttoo March 17 2014 at 11:48 AM

Most wanted! California must be the safest state in the union if that puts you on the most wanted list. Back east it would just be target practice. Good thing he didn't pee in the woods. He'd have hit the top ten.

rreaction experimenttoo March 17 2014 at 12:01 PM

my thoughts exactly.

z.sharp experimenttoo March 17 2014 at 12:24 PM

Here in the east they shoot in the air just for fourth of july.

Curtis March 17 2014 at 12:00 PM

Oh Lord, Please tell Californians NOT to come to Texas.
This is quite normal outside the Major Metro Areas!
If this Law were active here half the State would be in Prison.
But, I have become more Eco Friendly and started using Bio Degradable ammo and I am feeding the dead snakes and rats to the Buzzards.

I'm sure he'll get life without parole on the West Coast. Should have just Murdered or raped someone. He'd be out in 9 months!

DougNLilly Curtis March 17 2014 at 12:22 PM

In defense of California you have to realize we have leaders like Nancy Pelosi and Diane Fiestien and a liberal voting base of uninformed immigrants ( morons) and the state does mean well. ROFLMAO This state is like living in Russsia under Putin. I live and work here but I am still hoping that Californians and especially Republicans wake up.

ppllaanntt March 17 2014 at 12:16 PM

He shot a gun into the ground 3 times?!! That put him on the most wanted list? Wow.Strange world we live in.

dixielatino ppllaanntt March 17 2014 at 12:38 PM

Maybe he didn't have a permit to carry , and in most states discharging a firearm may be illegal without a cause .

ohioh111b111y ppllaanntt March 17 2014 at 1:03 PM

ppll: don't we have a woman in Florida in jail for firing a shot into the air? (that's the story, but Im sure its not the truth.... just like this guys story aint true and innocent)

freddombski2 March 17 2014 at 12:25 PM

While firing a gun into the ground in a populated area might be inappropriate and stupid, this puts him on the most wanted list next to rapists and heinous murderers? What the hell is law enforcement and the judicial system in general thinking? As for bad judgement to look his name up on Google...??? Is that a crime now as well? OK, I'll come clean. I looked my name up on google the other day but there was no reason for me to turn myself in. All I found was that I'm the only person in the world that has my name. I guess Special Forces will be knocking on my door soon. Leniency for muderers and rapists but petty victimless crimes are the most sought after??? WTF!

sgregg38 March 17 2014 at 12:28 PM

Just curious... why in the heck was he on the most wanted list for shooting into the ground and not injuring anyone? I understand it was stupid what he did.. But The most wanted list... so strange

Ron March 17 2014 at 1:35 PM

Damn, I guess it doesn't take much to get on the Most Wanted list in California!

David Ron March 17 2014 at 2:24 PM

Dude, that is exactly what I was going to write. Great minds think alike.

Sandy Ron March 17 2014 at 4:47 PM