Man Googling Himself Finds Warrant, Turns Himself In

Man Googling Himself Finds Warrant, Turns Himself In
File this one under all-time backfires.

ANCHOR: "A California man is in jail after apparently Googling his name and finding out he was on the most wanted website. The 27-year-old looked himself up on Google and saw his mugshot on the website."(Via WFTS)

ANCHOR: "Some people say we're on an ego trip when we do this. Here's one ego trip that went bad. That's Christopher Viatafa. He actually turned himself in." (Via MSNBC)

So give the guy some credit. When he saw his mug, he didn't run from the problem.

Local media outlets like the San Jose Mercury News report police in San Leandro had a warrant out for Viatafa's arrest after they say he fired a gun into the ground several times during a party back in August. The shots didn't hit anyone.

So when he found his name and mugshot posted on the San Francisco Bay Area website NorthernCaliforniaMostWanted.org, he turned himself from wanted fugitive into captured fugitive.

A statement released by San Leandro Police Friday to ABC read, "Although it wasn't good judgment that landed him on the website, he did use good judgment to turn himself in after seeing his photo."

Viatafa was wanted for discharging a firearm toward an inhabited dwelling. KTVU in San Francisco reports the most wanted website where he saw himself has only been up since December.

Barry Pearson March 17 2014 at 7:24 PM

We should all spend some time searching sites for pictured criminals and then,
if we recognize them simply turn them into the Police. Let's get "Low Life" off
of the streets of America ASAP!

ppllaanntt March 17 2014 at 12:16 PM

He shot a gun into the ground 3 times?!! That put him on the most wanted list? Wow.Strange world we live in.

dixielatino ppllaanntt March 17 2014 at 12:38 PM

Maybe he didn't have a permit to carry , and in most states discharging a firearm may be illegal without a cause .

ohioh111b111y ppllaanntt March 17 2014 at 1:03 PM

ppll: don't we have a woman in Florida in jail for firing a shot into the air? (that's the story, but Im sure its not the truth.... just like this guys story aint true and innocent)

freddombski2 March 17 2014 at 12:25 PM

While firing a gun into the ground in a populated area might be inappropriate and stupid, this puts him on the most wanted list next to rapists and heinous murderers? What the hell is law enforcement and the judicial system in general thinking? As for bad judgement to look his name up on Google...??? Is that a crime now as well? OK, I'll come clean. I looked my name up on google the other day but there was no reason for me to turn myself in. All I found was that I'm the only person in the world that has my name. I guess Special Forces will be knocking on my door soon. Leniency for muderers and rapists but petty victimless crimes are the most sought after??? WTF!

sgregg38 March 17 2014 at 12:28 PM

Just curious... why in the heck was he on the most wanted list for shooting into the ground and not injuring anyone? I understand it was stupid what he did.. But The most wanted list... so strange

darth6847 March 17 2014 at 12:42 PM

Wow, "Most Wanted"? Really? What about all those criminals the police is ignoring and never goes after?

lstinvgs March 17 2014 at 2:18 PM

Most Wanted,, for killing grass,,, holy ****,, I better check the most wanted list, I killed a rose bush last fall,, and it was premeditated...

ksh.harris lstinvgs March 17 2014 at 2:27 PM

omg roflmbo!!! i should turn myself in for similar infarction against our green friends

gigabytz lstinvgs March 17 2014 at 2:42 PM

did you use a machete? would have been fun to watch the horror ..lol

ohioh111b111y March 17 2014 at 1:01 PM

seems innocent to some, not me. From an article elsewhere: " Viatafa was wanted for allegedly firing rounds from a semi-automatic handgun after an argument during a party on Aug. 8 at the San Leandro Senior Center, 1309 East 14th St. He was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon. " Drunks and druggies at parties getting mad enough to pop off some shots are dangerous people.

Lets all COMMENT this man for doing the right thing. Lets gloss over the fact he could have shot someone or two or three.

dannyh94102 ohioh111b111y March 17 2014 at 1:12 PM

Let's "COMMENT" this man????

willatag dannyh94102 March 17 2014 at 1:18 PM

I am sure they meant commend - is it so hard to figure out what he was trying to say?

Flag 0 rate up
Ripper March 17 2014 at 1:13 PM

I'll tell you an even creepier story about mugshots. My wife was doing a search and found herself on some mugshot website. However the mugshot was a photo of her that should have never existed. It was a picture of her about 2 weeks after she fell at home here and no one had taken a picture of her whatsoever. Not myself, not our kids, NO ONE. The picture they used should have not even existed. It was impossible, It was as if while we were out somewhere. Someone snapped a shot of her while we weren't looking. And the angle of the picture should have been as if someone had some creepy hidden camera at head level. Because it was a perfect shot of her face looking forward. It freaked us out. Yeah people watch yourselves. There are others out there taking photos of you without your knowledge.

acmggabez March 17 2014 at 1:29 PM

He wasn't captured :)

Ron March 17 2014 at 1:35 PM

Damn, I guess it doesn't take much to get on the Most Wanted list in California!

David Ron March 17 2014 at 2:24 PM

Dude, that is exactly what I was going to write. Great minds think alike.

Sandy Ron March 17 2014 at 4:47 PM