Dog saves Ohio homeowners from house fire

Dog Saves Ohio Homeowners from House Fire

A husband and wife survived a fire thanks to their heroic dog.

John Abney and his wife rescued 3-year-old Malaki from the SPCA three years ago, and on Thursday night, when their lives were on the line, the boxer-lab mix repaid the favor.

'He's been about the best dog I could have ever asked for. He's been really loyal, he's always watched out for me and my wife, especially last night. He's my guardian angel,' John said.

The Abneys were sound asleep as flames engulfed their home, and they only made it out because Malaki sounded the alarm. 'Normally he'll sleep through the night quiet and sound, and last night there was something definitely wrong, and he made sure we knew that.'

Malaki was crying and barking, so John got up and opened his bedroom door. 'I looked around the corner and my living room was just a giant circle of fire.'

John and his wife managed to dash to safety, but John ran back in to try and find his two puppies.

Malaki tried to run back inside with him, but John pulled him out before he could run back into the inferno.

'I owe him everything,' John said. 'As long as I've got my wife and I've got Malaki here, I'm sure everything will be fine,' John said while looking at the charred remains of his house.

Randy March 18 2014 at 9:38 AM

There is no better companion than a rescue dog. No foo foo purebred, no overpriced pet store victim from breeders.... a rescue dog knows they've been saved and spend the rest of their lives confirming the human who rescued them made an excellent decision. The devotion, protection and love they return more than compensates for any costs involved.

mr forgetful2u Randy March 18 2014 at 10:02 AM

randy i have a pure bred dog an she lets me know when somesthings wrong,i have a wood burning stove an the side door wasnt closed rigth an the smoke was flowing out of the stove an she bark till i went in the kitchen,then another time my dish wash was over flowing with suds an she was barking an i went in the kitchen an there where soap suds all over the floor,there great dogs

Jo March 18 2014 at 1:32 PM

I have had two incidents with fire in my house. The first one was an electric short in a cord that was smothering in back of our couch. We were asleep in the living room, when it filled with smoke. My 3 yr old cat woke us up by jumping in the middle of my chest and screaming at me. The second was just 2 yrs ago. One of them jumped on my chest and the dog was crying at me. It was in time to get the fire out and smoke cleared out. So animals are the best at alerting to danger.

tomatomike Jo March 18 2014 at 2:51 PM

Smoldering, not smothering, Big difference, Jo.

David & Jenny March 18 2014 at 10:12 AM

what happened to the puppies? Rescued I hope.

lansingbarb March 18 2014 at 10:13 AM

One my my dogs saved me from a fire as well. They always give back so much more than they take.

Richard March 18 2014 at 10:13 AM

The fact is that reincarnation does exist. In this case, think about. Has the dog ever been trained to know that fire can kill or fire is bad? Why would the dog alert his owners by crying or barking?

jjdunn45 March 18 2014 at 10:14 AM

SO, DID HE GET THE PUPPIES OUT OR NOT?

chrimini3 March 18 2014 at 10:14 AM

I like dogs better than most people I know.

? chrimini3 March 18 2014 at 10:17 AM

isn't that the truth!!!

baggie2 March 18 2014 at 10:15 AM

Just read the local newspaper article. Two adult dogs survived, but John was unable to save two puppies.

cathy0122 March 18 2014 at 10:17 AM

Sadly the puppies did not make it out. But what an awesome dog! There are so many great dogs and smart as a whip waiting to be adopted. I have had both spca and store bought. Spca wins by a long shot!!

bppodiatry March 18 2014 at 1:27 PM

Smart and loyal dog! (too bad the owners don't recognize her for the PIT mix that she is. :) )

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal