Anchors take cover after 4.4 magnitude quake

WATCH: Earthquake Strikes During Live News Broadcast

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A pre-dawn earthquake rolled across the Los Angeles basin on Monday, rattling residents from the San Fernando Valley to Long Beach.

The quake's magnitude was 4.4 and it was centered 15 miles west-northwest of the downtown civic center, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Los Angeles police and fire officials said there were no immediate reports of damage.

"It rocked and rolled for about 10 or 12 seconds. I'm surprised nothing fell off the walls or broke - and nothing did - but it was quite a shaker," said Brian Bland, a retired AP Radio correspondent who lives in suburban Santa Monica.

The 6:25 a.m. quake occurred at a depth of about 5 miles.

The epicenter was near Sepulveda Pass in the Santa Monica Mountains, about 6 miles from Beverly Hills and 7 miles from Universal City, the USGS said.

All Metro rail lines were expected to experience minor delays this morning as crews inspect tracks for possible damage, according to Metro.

It was one of the largest quakes to hit Los Angeles since the 6.7-magnitude Northridge quake killed several dozen and caused $25 billion in damage two decades ago, Dr. Lucy Jones, a USGS seismologist, told KABC-TV.

"It's not that large by California terms. It's the size of earthquake we have across the state once every couple of months," Jones said. "But we haven't had one like this in LA for quite a while."

A magnitude 4.7 quake struck near Inglewood in 2009, she said.

___

Associated Press Radio Correspondent Matt Small in Washington contributed.

northalfred March 17 2014 at 3:32 PM

Looking at the reactions of these guys, I never again expect my west coast friends to laugh at a 5.0 Virginia/east coast quake again.

James Gray northalfred March 17 2014 at 5:03 PM

There is nothing like a 200lb spot light, coming loose and falling on your head to show you the light.

blinn8656 March 17 2014 at 4:26 PM

Did that guy say OH Momma I just **** my pants?

steel4cal March 17 2014 at 2:01 PM

I was on top of a parking structure in Woodland Hills. It felt pretty sporty for a 4.4.

cincyburb01 March 17 2014 at 1:57 PM

So funny. The man immediately goes to contact the Geological Survey, and the woman begins cleaning the table. Lol. Admit it, some things will never change!

beukboom cincyburb01 March 17 2014 at 2:14 PM

lmao

Joan cincyburb01 March 17 2014 at 4:13 PM

Cincy here, too. I know, I caught that after he popped his eyes back into his head! LOL!

Lisa March 17 2014 at 4:37 PM

Thanks, AOL, for not allowing the video to show.

adika3z March 17 2014 at 1:54 PM

yeaaa i feeeling and wake up from the earthquake this morming 626 AM,
oh go back to sleep again

tylerbeach2002 March 17 2014 at 4:53 PM

The Earthquake wasn't that big. I think everyone can relax.

jasnajanko801 tylerbeach2002 March 17 2014 at 6:40 PM

you relax, tyler. I took Geology class and one thing I did learn about the earthquakes: when tectonic plates start to release the pressure, it usually starts with smaller earthquakes before the big one. Unfortunately, the big one might take days, weeks...it depends on the amount of pressure between the plates. And since this has been the third earthquake in less than 2 weeks, I'm not so sure that we could just sit and relax.
Then again: I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

abenzrite March 17 2014 at 1:47 PM

had to laugh, odd that the same "duck and cover" works for Atomic Bombs, as well as it does for Earthquakes,,,,

MICHAEL abenzrite March 17 2014 at 2:06 PM

oh, good grief, i remeber that from school. now, i couldnt get under one of those tiny desks to save my life. lol

crotalus March 17 2014 at 1:36 PM

I love all the commenters making light of the anchor's stunned look or the fact both dove under the desk.

I'm sure all the folks making those snide comments would have just stood there with a look of supreme confidence on their faces and simply batted aside any building or studio components (lighting?) which might have tried to fall on them as a result of the quake.

Those two did the right thing. That minor shaking could have been the prelude to a 9.0 quake instead of a 4.4 quake. Nobody knows how it will turn out until it is over.

CONNIE March 17 2014 at 1:29 PM

If there is an earthquake, you are suppose to get underneath your desk....those are the
emergency procedures to be followed. They did the right thing.

adika3z CONNIE March 17 2014 at 2:01 PM