Nearly 200 chickens seized from condemned home

Nearly 200 Chickens Seized From Condemned Home

What officials say they found in a Plainville, Connecticut home is almost unbelievable. WVIT reports almost 200 diseased chickens were found in this house. The state's Department of Agriculture called it "one of the most extreme cases ... of animal hoarding."

dori March 16 2014 at 2:24 PM

Charges of animal abuse? I agree, however, chickens kept as layers usually have way worse conditions then these apparently did. At least, these were allowed to move around. I don't know why when individuals do stuff like this, it's called abuse, but when big companies do worse, it called the cost of doing business.

I don't think the chickens needed to be put down. If they were taken to a nice farm where they could spread out and get fresh air, they likely would have recovered. I have lots of free-range chickens, and they have enough room that stuff like that doesn't spread as much.

pattynken1 March 16 2014 at 1:15 PM

Don't need an alarm clock in that house.....

wcadcarole pattynken1 March 16 2014 at 1:55 PM

they said chickens not roosters, smh

Applez64 wcadcarole March 16 2014 at 2:14 PM

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but roosters ARE chickens. What does smh mean? I'm old and don't know all these short cuts. Anybody?

Flag +1 rate up
billybuttlooker March 16 2014 at 2:57 PM

More new's at Kentucky Fried Chicken at 6 pm

Squeek March 16 2014 at 6:02 PM

I had a pet chicken......lol.......I kid you not! My son's 5th grade hatched eggs and then were to give them to some farm....however, my son was DETERMINED not to let HIS chicken go....lil guy snuck his chick out in his snow suit and brought him home.. LOL
Ms Peepers (thank goodness it was a hen and not a rooster lol) was one of the funniest pets Ive owned! Did NOT know it was a chicken! lol Followed my son to the first crosswalk and was DETERMINED to stay there until he came home! lol GOOFIEST thing Ive ever seen!
We lived in A VERY LARGE CITY and everyone loved Ms Peepers!
What a shame this story really is!

mashallaha March 16 2014 at 1:59 PM

Time for a fundraising chicken dinner!

Applez64 mashallaha March 16 2014 at 2:10 PM

What part of diseased didn't you understand? Just wondering. Sorry, that was rude! I'm just surprised how many people have commented- when I first saw this there weren't any comments at all. Shows you how long I've been hanging around! :(

Chickiepoo Applez64 March 16 2014 at 2:39 PM

RE: your question
You asked a question in another post farther down.....however.....it did not have a "reply" button for it...
But here's the answer to your question.

Your question:
" What does smh mean? I'm old and don't know all these short cuts. Anybody? "

"SMH" means......"shaking my head"......

I'm old too.....LOL....and sometimes I have to "google" them to find out what they mean........seriously....:))

Flag +2 rate up
WESLEY Applez64 March 16 2014 at 3:20 PM

Is it way to hard just to spell it out? Everyone does not text their messages, and keep their heads in a Phone.

Flag +1 rate up
Eric March 16 2014 at 7:29 PM

What a shame. Chickens are much smarter than we give them credit for and subjecting ANY animals to such conditions is deplorable. They didn't have to die if they had been properly cared for. I certainly understand wanting to gather up the vast possiblities when it comes to breeds, colors and abilities. Chickens have a huge spectrum of all these assets. It can get addicting if you're not careful. But one needs to stay focused on quality of life for the birds instead of quanity and variety. The acceptable space is 2 square feet per bird. Mine have 4. The coop is set up for easy cleaning and the straw is changed twice a week minimum, and pressure washed once a week. I have 4 hens and get an average of 3 eggs a day. We live in northern Wisconsin so I insulated the coop and heated it. Although heating is not necessary I do so for the birds, their happier with a little warmth.

Chickens are great fun to watch and care for. What a shame the birds in CT had to be put down, but they did. The disease they had is dangerous and easily spread to other birds.

brcats21 Eric March 16 2014 at 11:12 PM

So sad! :'(

David S. Eric March 17 2014 at 7:46 AM

Chickens aren't supposed to be raised in the home.......that is what barns and coops are for.

photocountry March 16 2014 at 12:47 PM

Mc bits :)

cara March 16 2014 at 12:43 PM

Was it GENERAL TSO HOUSE?

sylvabugg2 March 16 2014 at 3:28 PM

I can only imagine the smell. My grandparents had chickens and after shoveling chicken poo to clean out the coop, I can imagine what that house smelled like having never been cleaned.

Charles March 16 2014 at 12:20 PM

In other news.... Plainville, Conn announced there will be a fried chicken dinner fund raiser Saturday night!