Coach K: Technical foul 'shameful,' 'ridiculous'

Coach K Throws Pen, Receives Technical

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) - Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said the technical foul called after he threw a pen at the floor during Sunday's Atlantic Coast Conference tournament championship game was "absolutely ridiculous" and "shameful."

The call came during a Duke timeout with 2:07 left in the first half of Sunday's 72-63 loss to No. 6 Virginia. As the huddle broke, Krzyzewski flung a pen that bounced off the floor and into associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski's leg.

Official Jamie Luckie whistled for the technical from near midcourt as Krzyzewski had his back turned to the court.

Krzyzewski said after the game he had "no clue" why the technical was called, then was asked about throwing the pen.

"Yeah, but I mean, you can throw a clipboard, too," Krzyzewski said. "I didn't do it in reaction to anything. I mean, I could hit my head on the floor. I can do a handstand. I can tumble. As long as it's not in reaction to anybody.

"There's no way that there should be a technical foul on that. I mean, it was ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Shameful. Shameful."

It was one of two technical fouls Sunday for the seventh-ranked Blue Devils. The other was on sophomore guard Rasheed Sulaimon, who thought he was fouled on a hurried 3-pointer with the Blue Devils down 68-60.

Sulaimon screamed at official Tim Nestor near midcourt that the defender had fouled him and used an expletive, leading to the whistle with 39.3 seconds left.

In the locker room after the game, Sulaimon apologized for his behavior.

"I just wanted to win so badly and I kind of let my emotions and let the game get too big for me," Sulaimon said. "I apologize to my teammates, my coaching staff and to the refs for that blowup."

Virginia's Malcolm Brogdon hit 3 of 4 free throws after Sulaimon's technical, pushing Virginia's lead to double figures and helping to seal the Cavaliers' first ACC title since 1976 and only their second overall.

Joebudgie March 16 2014 at 10:22 PM

I think any game that almost always results in the two team's scores totaling over 200 points and the winner is decided by a margin of three to ten points is pretty silly anyway. Why sit in an uncomfortable bleacher for an hour when the game will be decided in the last five minutes of playing time. This penalty and the coaches response is verging on stupid. I have little respect for anyone over the age of six that can't control their emotions.

hy8r1d March 17 2014 at 11:04 AM

So if the pen would have bounced up and hit his assistant coach in the eye, would that be a technical foul?

meatiger March 17 2014 at 12:07 AM

What is it that we want our children to learn from playing games?

n6346 meatiger March 17 2014 at 12:40 AM

Cut off the ball, and don't throw pens!

jechandle March 17 2014 at 12:14 PM

In other sports, that type of behavior that is too oft tolerated is referred to as "bringing the game into disrepute."
Sports should be a celebration of life. One's team mates, coaching staff, opponents, officials, spectators all deserve to be treated with common decency, and respect, for without them, there would be no game on that day, and childish behavior by someone that's supposed to be at the pinnacle of the game like throwing tantrums, and teaching their players that "it ain't cheatin' if you don't get caught" should go rake leaves in their backyard, and remove themselves from everyone's celebration until they can appreciate their good fortune.
Or better still. Let's put him in some zebra stripes, and hand him a whistle, and let him deal with a bunch of whiners that want to blame their failures on others.
It's a game. If you aren't having fun, go do something else.

edstates2 March 17 2014 at 3:04 PM

Maybe one should consider coach K's comments to the official before the pen throwing incident.

John March 16 2014 at 10:12 PM

both the kids and the coach let thier emotions get away, but the kid schooled the coach.

capannellins March 17 2014 at 1:57 PM

First rule--- the ref's and BB Umpires make--- interpret --- and have the final say in all rules. The NCAA has cautioned players and coaches this year about thier sideline behavior. Coach K needs to act like a responsible adult and try to set a good example for his players. Remember his mentor and coach was Bobby Knight.

russell.coleman33 March 16 2014 at 10:26 PM

Way to go Hoos!!! I am proud of the UVA basketball team congratulations on the tourney win and ACC title. Now go take home the NCAA title for all of us in VA!!!

Mary russell.coleman33 March 16 2014 at 10:58 PM

The refs handed UVA wins - yesterday and today. The refs refused to call the absolutely constant fouls by the UVA players yet punishing Pitt and Duke with little touch fouls. Duke drove the ball repeatedly with Parker and Hood getting mauled, yet Parker only shot 3 freethrows. Freethrows were 35-11. Complete joke. UVA doesn't stand a prayer of winning the NCAA unless they take Jamie Luckie with them as their own personal ref. I don't dislike UVA at all,but the tournament was a joke.

Ron or Carol March 16 2014 at 9:48 PM

The entire tournament has been filled with sorry calls. Slight touching in some games are called by the refs, and in other games the guys run over each other with nothing called. Officials need to get some consistency.

teachcoa17 Ron or Carol March 16 2014 at 10:01 PM

Best comment of the day

mollymguire March 17 2014 at 6:52 AM

I really find it disgusting when coaches act like spoiled little boys & set a bad example of sportsmanship for the young men who follow them. I know some of those young men are more "man" than the coach, and maybe some coaches should consider their players example of behavior. I love the coaches who take a personal interest in their players, to help mold them into good men, not just to polish the coach's image, but to ensure the players learn to live life making the world a better place. This coach's behavior with the pen and afterward was embarassing to himself and his family and his team.

susan mollymguire March 17 2014 at 7:04 AM

We call out the players (be they pro or "student" athletes) when they run afoul of the law, but we never look at what they are learning from the coaches, all the way back to peewee league. They learn that they are better than everyone else and above the law. To coach means to teach, and when we look at some coaches, look at what they are teaching their students.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal