Upstate NY girl, 5, spends day at wrong school

Bus Takes 5-Year-Old To Wrong School

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. (AP) -- Officials at an upstate New York school district say a kindergartner spent a day at the wrong school after getting on the wrong bus.

Schenectady city school district officials say the series of mistakes began Wednesday morning when the 5-year-old girl boarded the wrong bus, which was driven by a substitute driver.

At the school, teachers were expecting a new first-grader and asked the girl if she was that student. The girl said she was and spent the day answering to the no-show first-grader's name.

The mistake wasn't discovered until the kindergartner's mother called her school to report that her daughter didn't get off the bus that afternoon. School officials say they located her a short time later.

The district says it's re-examining its bus and new student procedures.

lngfoto March 15 2014 at 12:58 PM

The way it happen, it is easy to see why.

ssotog March 17 2014 at 1:55 PM

The problem here is the adults, parent and school admin, not the child. At five years old I trust the adults around me and I am so sure that the girl didn't know how to explain what was going on because she was also confused. It is wrong to attach words like impersonate, misled to a five year old child...ay,ay,ay.

vkritter March 15 2014 at 1:53 PM

Why in the world would a five year old answer to a different name?

weeziebathome vkritter March 15 2014 at 2:43 PM

Because she is five?Although I don't think this would happen often, I can see how it would happen. I work with children, and they tend to trust that the adults know best. Perhaps she was asked if she was the new girl, and shook her head yes. After all, she was in a "new" school to her.

pinochlenana March 15 2014 at 2:25 PM

The mother said she recognized the sub driver from before. This child was only 5 yrs old. Yet everyone expected her to know its the wrong driver. A photo id would be great, if, it also has the bus number on it.

kate March 15 2014 at 1:43 PM

She got on the wrong bus? A 5 year-old is at a bus stop with no parent? And no one ever asked her her name at school or had a picture of her on their records?

Just like the NY great-grandpa that picked up the wrong 5 year-old at school. The school just let him go? Without checking if he was OKed by the parents on their paperwork or list? And a 5 year-old that just leaves with a stranger?

Barb kate March 15 2014 at 2:43 PM

it didn't say she was at the stop with no parent. it says the mom put her on the wrong bus

f4180 March 15 2014 at 1:42 PM

"Chaos" ?

Mary March 15 2014 at 2:18 PM

The problem lies with the mother. She put her on the wrong bus.

c1g2w3 Mary March 15 2014 at 2:38 PM

I agree, it was a mistake but the mistake was made by the person who put her on the bus. Everything else that happened is just what you would have expected and some coincidence. But I guess they need a juicy story so they need to point a finger somewhere.

Kim March 15 2014 at 2:13 PM

I am a parent of 2 daughters. I'm tired of incompetent parents blaming others for their mistakes then trying to sue for money. Mistakes were made on both parties but a law suit is not needed here.

wapatohills March 15 2014 at 1:23 PM

Oh, man I would have been in a panic if I was Mom. I think it is funny though that the girl went through the day answering to the other little girls name.

km.km21 March 15 2014 at 1:23 PM

She's five but at five you know your name and you know what school you usually go to, correct? But maybe this was her first day of school, still at five you know your name. I have a problem with these school buses. Of course I'm not blaming the bus driver, I just think that this situation could've been a lot worse. Anything can happen and thank God it wasn't worse

Barb km.km21 March 15 2014 at 2:41 PM

yesterday wasn't the 1st day of school and she wasn't the new the student the other school was expecting, which means she's been going to her school all year. She may be only 5, but she did play a part in this mess