Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California

EL CENTRO, Calif. (AP) - The Blue Angels are headed back into the wild blue yonder a year after budget cuts grounded the Navy's famous daredevil fliers.

The aerobatics team is scheduled to perform its first 2014 show on Saturday at the Naval Air Facility in El Centro, about 100 miles east of San Diego.

The Blue Angels normally do about three dozen shows annually but got into the air only twice last year.

That was a disappointment not only to aviation fans, but to small communities in outlying areas that count on the tourist dollars they attract.

The Angels' commanding officer, Thomas Frosch, tells the Imperial Valley Press (http://bit.ly/1m7WX5r ) his team spent much of its downtime practicing for this year's full slate of shows.

They'll be at the Los Angeles County Air Show next week.

John Bemis March 15 2014 at 10:51 PM

It's a treat for all ages to see and be thrilled to know that the are ready to serve and protect not just entertain

hkypuck27 John Bemis March 15 2014 at 11:05 PM

darrellmoll49 March 16 2014 at 12:34 AM

I saw the Blue Angels waaay back when they were flying A-4's...they were awesome even though I was only a kid at the time...after growing up, joining the Navy,and working a couple of airshows as a Naval aircrewman they are even MORE AWESOME!!!!

grimesclrcbg darrellmoll49 March 16 2014 at 1:22 AM

No darrellmoll49, you are AWESOME, I Love the Blue Angels, we always watch in awe all the maneuvering they do but we never thank the guys like yourself in the background who make the shows possible. I'll give you a thanks. My husband put 34 years in the Navy, he's gone now, but he loved himself some Navy. Never once did he complain about going to work. He retired as a E9 CMC, aboard Tarawa here in San Diego. He is with GOD now. Peace......

tmpeintl March 16 2014 at 12:44 AM

Great to hear that the Blue Angels will be performing again. I see them here in the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex and especially look forward to seeing them in Anchorage, Alaska in the summer when I'm fortunate enough to be there. Good flying fellows!!!

schatzibecker March 16 2014 at 12:49 AM

I am very happy to see that the blue angeles are coming back.

kevin March 16 2014 at 12:52 AM

U
I have been watching them for years and I love them. I think its tume to change planes again tho. Happy to see them back and I look forwood to the return of the air shows I sorely missed last year.

ea90048 March 16 2014 at 1:18 AM

The blue angels will perform once again in la county on march 21 2014 at the fox field airport in lancancaster calif north of palmdale ive seen this team of pilots over the past 30 years do some amazing stuff like rolls and fast spins and they fly close together

lthrnck68 March 16 2014 at 1:36 AM

Saw them perform when I was a kid. Not long after that, two of them crashed at a Canadian air show. A thrill to see them perform and really sad news to see that two were killed shortly after that. Sure hope that the year long layoff hasn't dulled their aerobatic skills.

Sergeant March 16 2014 at 1:40 AM

They're better than good, If you've never seen them perform you're missing out...

drydockx Sergeant March 16 2014 at 1:51 AM

I was a civiliam employee at NAS Los Alamitos, CA. The Blue Angels we there for a show at Long Beach, CA. Got to meet them. What a bunch of professionals, from the highest ranking officer to the lowest enlisted. Everything was precision done. The planes were so clean, you could eat lunch off the wing.

sescallan March 16 2014 at 2:16 AM

Always loved seeing and hearing them practice over Navy Point, Pensacola!

malane2353 sescallan March 16 2014 at 2:52 AM

Always a great show over Pensacola Beach!!

catbell7 March 16 2014 at 2:18 AM

My first and most amazing time to see the Blue Angels was in San Francisco CA = on the 35th floor of the then Bank of America building when they came sideways between buildings -- then Mayor Feinstein called up and told them to stop it -- people thought we were under attack - especially elderly non-English speakers -- for me it was the thrill of the lifetime - they were so close one could see how absolutely cute they were/are!!! So if you have a chance - go see 'em and take good binoculars with you so you can see how cute they are :)

World Series