Lady Gaga says 'I refuse to compromise' during SXSW keynote

By CHRIS TALBOTT

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Lady Gaga vowed to quit pop music rather than compromise, detailing a difficult year that included an underperforming new album during her much-anticipated keynote session at South By Southwest on Friday.

Dressed in a gown made of plastic sheeting and wearing blond dreadlocks, Gaga spent an hour in a wide-ranging question-and-answer session that shed some light on obstacles that included hip surgery, a split from manager Troy Carter and widespread questions about her popularity.

"I refuse to compromise and allow my talents to be monetized to the point that I don't want to be here anymore," she said. "I will stop, I will quit, I will retire from the commercial market if I have to do something other than be myself because if I can't be myself in this moment than everything I have said to my friends since the beginning will be a total lie. Then what? I'll be myself until I have to make money to sustain a luxurious lifestyle, and then I change, right? No, I'll be myself till they (expletive) close the coffin so that you can all be yourselves."

The 27-year-old singer briefly discussed her 2013 tour-canceling hip surgery - she was in a wheelchair for four months and has three screws in her hip - and her messages to fans regarding difficulties she's had with the release of "ARTPOP," which has only sold 673,773 units since its November release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. (In 2011, Gaga's "Born This Way" sold 1.1 million copies in its first week; 660,000 copies were sold regularly, and the rest through a 99 cents deal with Amazon).

She reached a low point, she said, when those around her began to encourage her to abandon her instincts and go for a less polarizing image.

"That's the thing that poisoned me ... (people saying) 'We want you to be beautiful' over and over and over in my head until I just wanted to look ugly all the time because I'm rebellious," Lady Gaga said. "Don't tell me not to do anything because it's going to happen. That really crushed me. I've won Grammys now. I've written albums. I've toured the world four times. You're telling me to be beautiful? That's what this is all about? Is it all about tits and a--? That's so sad."

While Gaga is known for her odd looks - including dressing in drag and wearing false teeth - she's also been known to shed her clothing onstage; at the MTV Video Music Awards last year, she stripped down to a seashell bra top and a thong during her performance.

Gaga's rebellious inclination was on display Thursday night during a corporate-sponsored concert at Stubb's BBQ where she invited friend and performance artist Millie Brown to vomit paint on her during the song "Swine."

"It was just exciting to see people talk about performance art on the Internet and debating whether it's art or not," she said.

cgssnavickas March 15 2014 at 10:28 AM

If she was as talanted as she claims her latest cd would've been up there with the others. I guess that's telling you something...people are tired of her recycling act. Move on, GagGag.

vendelavee cgssnavickas March 15 2014 at 10:30 AM

Yeah her act is Madonna Deja Vu all over again.

john4law March 15 2014 at 9:48 PM

Hyperintensive personalities and performers like Lady Gaga are most likely to follow Janis Joplin and Jimmie Hendrix and not have decades long careers. Madonna has been through makeover after makeover. The Lady clearly isn't going to have a career of makeovers. Life is too short to die from
some mania driven vice in her youth. Dropping out may be a very smart move and a comeback would not be that difficult to engineer.

rucateyez March 15 2014 at 2:45 PM

Good for her.

James Elliott March 15 2014 at 11:57 AM

Go ahead and do it. I won't miss someone I have never listened to. a lot if not most only like her because of what she wears or maybe fron the picture we are seeing they like what she is not wearing. If you have to sing in your underwear may it is not about the singing. I have hever heard any of her songs so I don't know. I am 99.991/2% sure I never will. Ah shucks make that 100% sure. If it is even music all I can say is what or the way she sings is not my type of misic.

Hi Good Lookin March 15 2014 at 2:45 PM

If it's not all about t and a, then why are yours hanging out half the time.

teedee911 March 15 2014 at 2:42 PM

'I refuse to compromise'

yeah, me too, hate your songs and always will....

teedee911 teedee911 March 15 2014 at 2:42 PM

also known as 'lady gag gag'

Odens Fist March 15 2014 at 2:40 PM

I hope she removes herself from public view forever.

Jim March 15 2014 at 2:37 PM

Hey Gaga.....see ya, don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out.

Beverly March 15 2014 at 2:34 PM

that's the problem with her generation, they cant stand to be told "what to do" they never have had to conform to anything.

rucateyez Beverly March 15 2014 at 2:44 PM

How is being rebellious a problem. Maybe that's the problem with society, always trying to control people by telling them what to do..

revelationmaster rucateyez March 15 2014 at 2:48 PM

Oh boy, another idiot.

Flag 0 rate up
Hi Kathy & Dean March 15 2014 at 9:19 PM

She thinks she has talent? What EVER she got hope it's NOT contagious. What she DOES have is the audacity to defame the respect Lady implies and hang her name on it.