Honda recalls nearly 900,000 Odyssey vans in the US for fire risk

Honda Recalls Over 300,000 Vehicles Over Air Bag Issue

(Reuters) - Honda Motor Co is recalling nearly 900,000 Odyssey minivans that could catch fire, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a recall notice posted on Friday.

In a March 13 filing with NHTSA, Honda said 2005-2010 Odysseys built in Alabama have a fuel-pump part that could crack and cause a fuel leak, increasing the risk of fire. The company said it has no reports of fires or injuries related to the problem.

Because the recall involves 886,815 Odyssey vans, Honda said the proper repair parts won't be available until summer. In the meantime, it will provide "interim" parts to customers, who will be notified beginning in April.

Honda said it had investigated several potential causes of cracks in the fuel-pump strainer cover, including acid from chemicals found in car washes and low-PH materials used in fertilizer and dust control agents.

The fuel pump modules were made in the United States by Japanese supplier Denso, according to Honda.

Honda said the recalled vans were built at its Lincoln, Alabama, plant from June 23, 2004, through September 4, 2010.

gunsnnovas March 16 2014 at 8:17 AM

I love the "excuses" that say that, since GM did something, anybody else is "excused". Honda was aware of the issue years ago, as it's hard to miss fuel leaks, and the resultant fire hazard. It actually takes time to isolate issues, especially in high volume products. Now, the question is this, if they had already isolated the issue, and put a fix in place by 2010, four years ago, what is their liability for allowing knowingly hazardous vehicles to operate, without warning, for that amount of time?

Toyota had a similar issue recently, as did Audi a few years ago. All involved hundreds of thousands of cars, and some involved deaths. Where's the difference?

This isn't new, either, look back at the Pinto issue and Ford. They were aware of the issue of fuel leaks after rear-end collision almost as soon as the cars were NHTSA tested. They ignored the issue until, it became a national phenomena, and had even developed a fix. Instead of doing a recall, they even had records of deciding to pay law-suits rather than initiate a fix.

Why is it that supposedly intelligent people seem to forget past issues, and approach the SAME issue, over and over again, with the new-found chicken-little screams?

vickh gunsnnovas March 16 2014 at 8:54 AM

I agree.
Until the individuals in these companies that decide to sell a flawed product are held personally responsible, they will continue to choose money over safety. So Honda, GM, Ford, etc is "forced" to do a recall to fix a problem, after they have sold millions of the product, made their profits, and now can "afford" to fix the flaw. They get a pass on the whole issue.

melott67 March 15 2014 at 9:20 PM

I'm still driving my first car I bought during my freshman year in college. It was a used 1947 Chevy and now has 873,516 miles on it.

melott67 melott67 March 15 2014 at 9:21 PM

Actually, it still is a 1947 Chevy. (I said "It was . . .")

flg8tor66 melott67 March 15 2014 at 11:09 PM

That reminds me of a fellow I know in my home town who kept a truck for years and years. It was either a Ford or Chevvy, but the owner kept replacing parts on it that he bought from the NAPA dealer there until the editor of the little weekly newspaper wrote about it in his weekly column and said that it had so many replacement parts that it was no longer the brand it had started out as, but was then labeled a "NAPA " truck ! Everybody had fun with that one.

Flag 0 rate up
dalenomad melott67 March 15 2014 at 10:28 PM

Yeah. Louis Chevrolet is even aplauding your vehicle.

bob March 16 2014 at 10:09 AM

"Interim" parts. That sounds really safe.

Susan March 16 2014 at 10:33 AM

Honda, GMC, Ford, Toyota, etc. They all have their problems. Look under the hoods and at items in the cars, they are all mongrals. Parts from all over the world. They all have great engineering but like any other machine, they break!

sirenthumb Susan March 19 2014 at 8:55 AM

If they take responsibility for their defects, that is one thing
when they DONT that is another

but the lack of quality that is getting worse is of issue!!!

lawsont808 March 16 2014 at 10:50 AM

Oh my gosh, will the media go as nuts over this as the GM key switch problem?

kulpw lawsont808 March 16 2014 at 11:00 AM

The proof is in the pudding just like those mysterious ambulance fires with Ford a while back.

saortolani March 16 2014 at 11:03 AM

Honda makes their fair share of junk.

longhornjpn March 16 2014 at 11:57 AM

All cars no matter who make them or where their made have issues. Overall today's cars are much better than those made in the 1970s and 1980s. You'd never see many Vegas, Pintos, VW Bugs, Corvairs, with 150,000 to 200,000 miles. Now any car with minimal maintenance can easily go to 200, 000 miles.

sirenthumb longhornjpn March 19 2014 at 8:52 AM

there is NO comparing today's cars with yesterdays - or any product!
and my husbands 1999 Honda Accord and its quality compared with today's is the proof!!
his accord is solid as a rock - even with its age and mileage never needs repaired but for things you would expect to fall apart ( or would have fallen apart long ago with its age on a newer vehicle ) .

they make everything to fall apart or be difficult and costly to repair today
- and it isnt just autos

I have been looking for years!!!! to replace my sofa - a sofa that gave us MUCHO Years of service/ quality.
the one i "settled" on was so poorly made it should be recalled for numerous safety reasons not withstanding the quality. It is only a few months old and I will be contacting the manufacturer ( and NHSTA ) in regards to the quality and safety of this item and the lounge chair purchased also.

same with the washers / dryers I went through since not "fixing" my original one; one after another sent back due to them not working from day one ! I went through a series of numerous top rated brands trying to find a good one. NOT able to -- and one completely destroyed my wardrobe -- things that looked like new till this washer got ahold of them!

nothing but junk you pay 1000s of dollars to purchase!

this is in every aspect of our manufacturing today - all in the name of " more money when you have to replace it sooner " - rather than taking pride in a good product and building something to Last!!

Terry March 16 2014 at 12:31 PM

I wish they would recall the 2009 Honda Accord for the lights flickering and shutting off. Honda says there aren't enough complaints to recall it. But when I google it, there are plenty of complaints about the same thing. Honda also has no viable fix for it. What's it going to take for them to address the problem? Someone going off the road when their lights go out for no reason at night? I have experienced this many times in the city, but I WILL NOT drive at night with this stupid car, on country roads with no street lights. I'm trading it in this summer. But I will feel guilty, knowing someone else will be buying the same problem. Nice job HONDA!

sirenthumb Terry March 19 2014 at 8:40 AM

go to www.nhtsa.com and report this issue
you can also see how many others have also reported it

this sounds like an electrical problem
most likely something Pinched

they are making nothing but junk today -- in everything ( not just cars )
hondas newer models are even more cheaply made than yours
they are cutting corners wherever they can

we have a newer honda ( full of issues ) and an older accord ( 1999 ) that is as solid as a rock, still going strong with tons of miles on it !! It actually just had the first repair on it that I would call "routine" -- the axels needed replaced - but look at the age and it had over 120,000 miles.

I will be lucky if my newer Honda CRV ( 2010 ) holds up to that mileage !

And my daughter is completely disgusted with her even newer Pilot in regards tp quality.

When I looked at the newer Honda vehicles and saw the lack of quality, I decided to look elsewheres for a replacement vehicle.

This is a direct result of Junk Manufacturing of today!!
Demand better!!

elaine64 sirenthumb March 26 2014 at 5:32 PM

So many PLASTIC car parts i cars now. How long are they gonna last?

Flag 0 rate up
skjuice March 16 2014 at 7:09 AM

Typical... Had this been a Chrysler, Ford, or GM recall it would have made the morning news...The evening National news and Headlines in all the papers.... However since its Honda It gets second stage billing ..... Be it Honda, Toyota, Kia, or other Asian Companies we continue to kiss their ________ like they were some kind of God ........... JUST TELL IT LIKE IT IS FOR ALL..........

cjtoy7 March 16 2014 at 9:40 AM

buy american ..........this economy sucks because the americans think they are getting a deal...................check the prices clowns , american cars are what built this country