Iconic Boston beer brewer boycotts St. Patrick's Parade

Samuel Adams Boycotts St. Pat's Parade Over LGBT Ban

With two days to the event, yet another high-profile guest is boycotting the South Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade due to its anti-gay policies. But it's not exactly a normal boycott.
The Boston Beer Company, the main sponsor of the parade, announced Friday it was pulling its sponsorship after parade organizers repeatedly refused to allow LGBTQ groups to identify themselves as such while marching, according to Boston.com)
The company, which brews Samuel Adams, said in a statement: "We were hopeful an agreement could be reached. ... However, given the current status of the negotiations, this may not be possible."
The announcement comes after the maker of Sam Adams began getting flak for its sponsorship, even leading to Club Café, an area gay bar, pulling the beer from its taps. The owner, Frank Ribaudo, scolded the company for its parade partnership.
"I was in the Navy, I fought in Vietnam, I've lots of friends who've been in the military that have fought for this country, and for us to be treated like second-class citizens," Ribaudo said.
It's all a culmination of clashes between parade organizers South Boston Allied War Veterans Council and equality group MassEquality, which have made headlines in the past few weeks.
The council originally lifted the 20-year ban on participation by gay rights groups after prodding by MassEquality and Boston Mayor Martin Walsh. One organizer told the Los Angeles Times MassEquality members would be allowed to march "with a 'Happy St. Patrick's Day' sign. That's it. It's a day of celebration, not demonstration."
But MassEquality was unsatisfied, joining a boycott of the parade by Walsh and Rep. Stephen Lynch, one of the state's House members.
Despite the criticism, the South Boston Parade's website defended its decision, posting a press release saying: "We will not allow anyone to express harmful or inappropriate messages. This was a decision we made for the good of this parade."

It's not the first dust-up for the embattled 2014 parade. In September, city officials quarreled over hosting duties of the event's annual morning breakfast, before choosing Haitian-American State Sen. Linda Dorcena Forry. She'll be the first-ever non-Irishman to host the meal,
The Boston Globe reports.
And even after pulling its sponsorship, the Boston Beer Company still plans to participate in the breakfast Sunday morning.

runswthscisors40 March 15 2014 at 1:16 PM

This is more interesting info than what AOL/HP puts out.............

Parade organizers said Monday in a press release that they had been misled by MassEquality, which had applied to march on behalf of 20 veterans, and Mayor Walsh. The application came from an affiliate of MassEquality called LGBT [Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender] Veterans of Equality.

“We were unable to find any evidence of LGBT Veterans for Equality that would confirm them as a recognized Veterans Organization,” organizers said in the statement posted on their website. “It is our belief that the application submitted to us by LGBT Veterans for Equality was a ploy by them to enter this parade under false pretenses and is hereby denied.”

At a meeting in the mayor’s office Sunday night, parade organizers said, it became clear that MassEquality did not have 20 veterans who wanted to march in the parade. Instead they presented one “supposed veteran” and a group of other marchers carrying rainbow flags, parade organizers said.

“When asked about a color guard, their (lone) veteran replied that he wasn’t sure he could supply any more veterans willing to march,” the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council, which organizes the event, said in the statement.

Parade organizers said that MassEquality’s application had been “conditionally approved” with the understanding that 20 veterans could march so long as they did not hold signs or wear T-shirts that bore the word “gay” or other references to sexual orientation. The parade has a written code of conduct that prohibits references to sexual orientation.

“To our surprise, the offer [to march] was rejected by MassEquality’s representative Kara Coredini,” organizers said in the press release. “Her rejection was based on the fact that we would not allow LGBT veterans to identify themselves as openly Gay by means of signage and T Shirts Identifying Them as LGBT veteran. This clearly violates our code of conduct.”

NoShark runswthscisors40 March 15 2014 at 1:59 PM

Of course it was rejected. This was never about participation in the parade. It was, and is, always about throwing their insecurities into the face of those they envy, and despise for that envy: those who conduct normal heterosexual lives. The gay lifestyle choice has a price, and heterosexuals are hated for the price the gay practitioner pays. It is immature and worthy of no true adult: punish those who are resented and hated, because of one's own insecurity and resentment. All this shows the world, is that those who have chosen this lifestyle, will not accept it. That it is no "proud" lifestyle at all.

bannorhill runswthscisors40 March 15 2014 at 5:50 PM

Just another example of LGBT organizers lying for their purpose.

BANDIT BILL March 15 2014 at 5:44 PM

There's gay pride parades and I don't want to march and ID myself as Irish. This is a St. Paddy's Day parade. There's no discrimination until the LGBTQ thinks they should disrupt something any thing to get noticed. WHY? Be gay and Irish but just Irish in the parade. Most of my friends are Irish for one day a year even though they're not, but they don't want to be gay 1 day a year even though they're not.

MIKE HALL BANDIT BILL March 15 2014 at 5:46 PM

There is a contact us ,webpage for sam adams, I just sent them my offical notification that I would never buy another product they make ever again. Until many of us do this ,there is no place to take a stand ,having this crap shoved down our throats .

Carol MIKE HALL March 15 2014 at 7:17 PM

Did that when they pulled God from the Pledge of Allegiance for the 4th of July commercial.

Flag 0 rate up
jelder5900 March 15 2014 at 2:26 PM

Can the heterosexuals carry signs advertising their sexual orientation? How about a "Heterosexual" float? And why the "Lesbian and Gay Rights" movement? Why not call it what it is...its homosexual rights. Where did this "Gay" come from?

NoShark jelder5900 March 15 2014 at 2:57 PM

It is homosexual choices leading to deep insecurity, and an unwillingness to live with the ramifications of tht choice...as children must learn to live with the consequences of stealing, lying, assaulting or cheating, thus growing up and building character, so must gay practitioners learn to live, maturely, with the ramifications of their own choice...and they refuse to mature.

excursioner March 15 2014 at 5:39 PM

Ta Ta Sam Adams,
I never cared about who people chose to consensually sleep with until the intolerant heterophobes in California insisted that our children are taught in school about the gay lifestyle. I don't want anybody teaching my kids about any sexual lifestyle. That is indoctrination. They lost my apathy once they dragged my children into their demands of promoting their sexual lifestyle in our schools.
Now Sam Adams has chosen to side with the intolerant anti-family heterophobes. Sam Adams products will never again be purchase by me. Sam Adams will can now enjoy the financial result their decision and other companies will see what happens when a company throws its support behind the intolerant, over demanding, heterophobes that think they can and should control all events and situations. This will be a great example for all to see the results of getting on the wrong side of tolerance.
Bye bye Sam Adams. My friends and I will not miss you. Too many other better beers out there that don't support intolerant heterophobes.

chefjohnp March 15 2014 at 11:02 AM

Once again, I have no problem with gays running or participating in the St. Patrick's Day Parade, but WHY must you banner your sexual preferences at a parade????? I don't care if the KKK marches in the parade, just leave the garb at home. Are the gays that insecure that they have to always promote their wants and desires. WHY? Just have a good time and fun. Leave your sex at home.

onemadashell chefjohnp March 15 2014 at 11:11 AM

then no one should advertise anything. All the signs should read Happy St. Patrick's Day. only fair way to do that. no school banners, no military banners, no business banners. no mention of who or what is in the group that is ion the parade.

Sweetpea onemadashell March 15 2014 at 12:12 PM

Exactly

Flag 0 rate up
stoples19 March 15 2014 at 2:40 PM

It's time we boycott Sam Adam's Beer. I don't what my children at a parade watching people running up and down the street , acting like morons, if they would let to march like human (what kind of sex you like is your business) this parade is for fun not inappropriate messages. I'm from Boston and voted for that Mayor Martin Walsh , I think I voted wrong!!!!

NoShark stoples19 March 15 2014 at 2:54 PM

What has the Mayor got to do with your enmity? This is about the rules of the parade, which you claim you agree with...god, stay on topic...

BIG DADDY March 15 2014 at 2:43 PM

Must the LGBT community make everything about their sexulity. The parade is about being Irish. The LBGT community has become what it supposedly stands againt, bullies. Can you not just be a people for a moment and not a movement. You've become like the obnoxious relative that is always screaming, look at me look at me. The world does not need to revolve around your sexuality.

ssantoresr March 15 2014 at 8:13 AM

Big deal their beer isnt that good anyways. rules are rules. People realy do not except the unnorm. move on and get over it.

topjimi1 March 15 2014 at 12:36 PM

same applies to religion and politics. If your first interest when meeting me is to try to convince me that your religion or politics are "the way to go" then I will probably not like you. WHY? Because Id rather make friends than try to seperate everyone into catagories... Until you start trying to change my ways, I have no problem with you. Just like you, I have my ways. Most of which you will probably never want to hear about and most likely will not know. Treat me the same way. If you are gay, keep it to yourself. If you are straight, keep it to yourself. If you want to be my friend, be my friend... That just requires kindness and funloving personality and has nothing to do with religion, sex or politics.

rrpatreilly March 15 2014 at 5:17 AM

Why do gays feel it neccessary to disrupt the St Pats day Parade? This is a traditional Irish celebration celebrated by most everyone in America. It has nothing to do with being gay or not. As for Sam Adams, it was my favoriet beer. Now I will choose not to buy or drink anymore Sammies. This is what happens when you get involved in matters that have no conection to your business.