Iconic Boston beer brewer boycotts St. Patrick's Parade

Samuel Adams Boycotts St. Pat's Parade Over LGBT Ban

With two days to the event, yet another high-profile guest is boycotting the South Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade due to its anti-gay policies. But it's not exactly a normal boycott.
The Boston Beer Company, the main sponsor of the parade, announced Friday it was pulling its sponsorship after parade organizers repeatedly refused to allow LGBTQ groups to identify themselves as such while marching, according to Boston.com)
The company, which brews Samuel Adams, said in a statement: "We were hopeful an agreement could be reached. ... However, given the current status of the negotiations, this may not be possible."
The announcement comes after the maker of Sam Adams began getting flak for its sponsorship, even leading to Club Café, an area gay bar, pulling the beer from its taps. The owner, Frank Ribaudo, scolded the company for its parade partnership.
"I was in the Navy, I fought in Vietnam, I've lots of friends who've been in the military that have fought for this country, and for us to be treated like second-class citizens," Ribaudo said.
It's all a culmination of clashes between parade organizers South Boston Allied War Veterans Council and equality group MassEquality, which have made headlines in the past few weeks.
The council originally lifted the 20-year ban on participation by gay rights groups after prodding by MassEquality and Boston Mayor Martin Walsh. One organizer told the Los Angeles Times MassEquality members would be allowed to march "with a 'Happy St. Patrick's Day' sign. That's it. It's a day of celebration, not demonstration."
But MassEquality was unsatisfied, joining a boycott of the parade by Walsh and Rep. Stephen Lynch, one of the state's House members.
Despite the criticism, the South Boston Parade's website defended its decision, posting a press release saying: "We will not allow anyone to express harmful or inappropriate messages. This was a decision we made for the good of this parade."

It's not the first dust-up for the embattled 2014 parade. In September, city officials quarreled over hosting duties of the event's annual morning breakfast, before choosing Haitian-American State Sen. Linda Dorcena Forry. She'll be the first-ever non-Irishman to host the meal,
The Boston Globe reports.
And even after pulling its sponsorship, the Boston Beer Company still plans to participate in the breakfast Sunday morning.

Margaret March 15 2014 at 6:59 AM

Give me a Bud Light anytime! Hate SA !!

FU Liberals March 15 2014 at 2:17 PM

Looks like I won't be drinking Sam Adams anymore.

kcarthey FU Liberals March 15 2014 at 2:21 PM

Given the fact that nearly all breweries have similar policies, it seems like you'll be brewing your own beer, Bubba.

Jim kcarthey March 15 2014 at 2:59 PM

There are hundreds of breweries/micro breweries, how do you know where each one stands politically?
Moron!

Flag +4 rate up
Blessed One X 20 kcarthey March 15 2014 at 3:30 PM

Ohh no they do not! Go away bully.

Flag +1 rate up
sttigress March 15 2014 at 8:11 AM

Personally all signs should be banned and the only outward support should be the "wearing of the green" . Put a shamrock on everyone and have your parade and beer/gays/ politics be damned. By the way did most of you know St. Patricks Day celebrates the arrival in Ireland of Christianity, and is a Christian Feast day and lenten restrictions on eating and drinking are lifted for the day?So I hope everyone goes to church BEFORE the parade. Ducking out before the separation of religion/ state argument starts.

artorius317 sttigress March 15 2014 at 8:18 AM

Which has now been turned into a drinking holiday, nothing more. Just as the Christians have hijacked other holidays throughout antiquity and made them their own, so has the "Christian" holidays been hijacked themselves and turned into something else.

artorius317 sttigress March 15 2014 at 8:24 AM

And I'm not trying to extend the religious conversation. Merely providing an explanation as to why it isn't considered a religious holiday by everyone today.

ssantoresr March 15 2014 at 8:13 AM

Big deal their beer isnt that good anyways. rules are rules. People realy do not except the unnorm. move on and get over it.

MO MONEY MOMONEY March 15 2014 at 1:05 PM

Never did like the all the different flavors. No need to drink that swill.

curmudgeon331 MO MONEY MOMONEY March 15 2014 at 1:06 PM

try WATER, I'm sure you will like its consistency

excursioner March 15 2014 at 5:39 PM

Ta Ta Sam Adams,
I never cared about who people chose to consensually sleep with until the intolerant heterophobes in California insisted that our children are taught in school about the gay lifestyle. I don't want anybody teaching my kids about any sexual lifestyle. That is indoctrination. They lost my apathy once they dragged my children into their demands of promoting their sexual lifestyle in our schools.
Now Sam Adams has chosen to side with the intolerant anti-family heterophobes. Sam Adams products will never again be purchase by me. Sam Adams will can now enjoy the financial result their decision and other companies will see what happens when a company throws its support behind the intolerant, over demanding, heterophobes that think they can and should control all events and situations. This will be a great example for all to see the results of getting on the wrong side of tolerance.
Bye bye Sam Adams. My friends and I will not miss you. Too many other better beers out there that don't support intolerant heterophobes.

Wisdom Seeker March 15 2014 at 1:05 PM

I can live without Sam Adams, there are other beers I prefer anyway .

harleybv March 15 2014 at 5:36 PM

Ok I see the gays weren't happy with just being GLBT, now there is a Q? What does that stand for?
Why don't they keep it simple and just say I am a HOMOsexual and keep it simple..Because when it's all said and done, that's all those letters stand for..You wanted to be noticed, well you have been, now don't disguise it with words like gay...You are not gay you are homosexuals plain and simple. Gay means happy, look it up in the dictionary. It doesn't say 2 people of the same sex having sex with each other..If you are really "OUT' then say what you really are. f_gs, d_kes and pe_verts. It's like you have to sugar coat who you are. I don't really care, I just don't want to be forced to have to see it in a public arena
I don't need a lot of letters to describe who I am..I am a heterosexual. I don't need a flag and letters, and to parade around and say look at me. I'm a heterosexual... How about just keeping it in the bedroom. Come enjoy the parade, but it isn't about homosexuals, and is not the place to force your agenda
You all are making yourselves look ridiculous.
PS: and after all that, I will say I am a Dem. I am a liberal...just sick and tired of the antics , and go Samuel Adams..kudo's for saying enough is enough

Chip March 15 2014 at 5:26 PM

How insecure must one be to identify themselves by their activities in the bedroom?

davidhken March 15 2014 at 1:02 PM

I'm not sure what St. Patrick's Day has to do with gay rights or any other political cause. It's not a national holiday and is no different than cinco de mayo or other celebrations of heritage. I can understand why organizers don't want controversial signs in the parade that have nothing to do with the purpose of the celebration. To translate this as "anti gay" is absurd. I'm sure they wouldn't allow some anti gay group to enter the parade and have signs for that cause. Sam Adams has a right to boycott and the parade has a right to run its event as it sees fit. They are not denying gay people the right to walk in the parade, only banning political signs not related to the event.

NoShark davidhken March 15 2014 at 2:11 PM

reasonably and neutrally presented. well said.