Man buys lottery tickets to wait out traffic jam; wins $5 million

Man Buys Lottery Tickets to Wait Out Traffic Jam; Wins $5 Million

Everyone hates traffic jams, but last December, one man hated them so much he made a spur-of-the-moment decision to buy some lottery tickets to pass the time until traffic was clear.

One of those tickets ended up being a winner, and now Thomas Mainella will be adding an extra $5 million to his bank account. He and his fiancée sat down with "Fox & Friends" to talk about the moment he won.

'I scratched that and it said 'life' and I just went 'I'm a freaking winner!' It's like 'yay, yay, I'm a winner!' And the people in the store are like 'what? What?' And I go 'I freaking won!''

The New York Post says Mainella always had high hopes when he bought lottery tickets.

'I've always told people I'm going to win big on this game. They all thought I was crazy.'

Well, no one can call him crazy now! Mainella told the New York State Gaming Commission he always had a dream of picking up his fiancee, Donna, in a limo to tell her that he won the lottery.

Unfortunately, that dream didn't come to fruition, as no limo company had a vehicle to spare on such short notice. Instead, Mainella went back home to tell Donna the good news.

News 12 Long Island notes Mainella is just one of four winners from Long Island who were recently awarded a total of $12 million in winnings.

Mainella's life is really going to change, as he has decided to accept his winnings in annual payments of $172,000. He told "Fox & Friends" he plans to use the money to pay off some debt and to give Donna's daughter a much grander wedding than was planned.

Jef March 14 2014 at 6:11 AM

Ya know I am always glad to hear the stories and see the winners but like anyone else I wish it were also my story.

Tom March 14 2014 at 11:19 AM

Good move. If I won I would take it all at once because of my age.

wllharrington Tom March 14 2014 at 1:50 PM

Tom, the best way is to take it yearly as you get a little more because of lower taxes. If you have heirs, I believe the payments would continue to them. You can also buy tax free bonds which will reduce your future taxes.

friartuckokc March 14 2014 at 1:13 PM

Bully good for you Thomas. Enjoy the new life but be very cautious.

ffreddycf March 14 2014 at 10:02 AM

Pay off your debt.......and have a great wedding, but don't go overboard........no need to shine..........rest in a savings account!!........BE WISE

kingofswords72 ffreddycf March 14 2014 at 10:57 AM

A savings account is the last thing you want to keep your money in. With interest rates on savings being the lowest in history and double digit inflation taking the value of money away at an alarming rate savings is a losing enterprise. The best place to put $5 million dollars is in real estate (rental property) and precious metals.

jtor March 14 2014 at 12:17 PM

GOOD LUCK TOM, ENJOY IT!!!

ernie March 14 2014 at 7:43 AM

i only missed the powerball by 6 numbers...

ron March 14 2014 at 7:03 AM

Best way to take your money; if you take it all at one time I think most people would blow it in no time ! Yes i will win big one day ! (LOL)

kingofswords72 ron March 14 2014 at 11:02 AM

It depends on how old you are at the time you win. If a 20 year old wins millions then the wisest choice is to take it over a period of years and the government will take a lower percentage in taxes on it. If a 60 year old wins big the wisest choice is to take it in one lump sum and enjoy it while you can.

yannaro March 14 2014 at 7:19 AM

Everyone who plays the lottery thinks they will win big. That's what keeps the lotteries going.

fluke66 March 14 2014 at 7:51 AM

very nice to hit like that just hope he dont spend more thn he tskes in dont want to see him in a few years on the news that he was broke and robbed a bank or a stroe

FIESTA & SIESTA March 14 2014 at 3:51 PM