Foods that are key in causing (and relieving) headaches

Foods That Are Key in Causing — and Relieving — Headaches

Ever wonder what causes a headache? Or what could cure that achy pain? Turns out, those answers might be in your refrigerator.

Fox News medical analyst Dr. Marc Siegel joined "Fox & Friends" to explain headaches can be related to what you eat and drink.

BRIAN KILMEADE: 'Solve my headache. Tell me with truths.'
SIEGEL: 'You go to too many ballgames. And at those ballgames you're drinking beer, you're having hot dogs, well those cause migraines.'

Unfortunately, those ballgame favorites have chemicals in them that provoke migraines.

And don't go reaching for chocolate either. The caffeine in it can also trigger headaches.

WebMD says stress is the No. 1 migraine trigger and that by some estimates, food and drinks could be responsible for up to 30 percent of migraines.

Good news, though. There are likely some foods in your fridge that can help ease headaches as well.

'Riboflavin is a real secret. It's vitamin B-2 and it decreases pain.'

One neurologist at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center says vitamin B-2 can decrease the severity and frequency of headaches for some patients. It's also safe for pregnant women.

Vitamin B-2 is naturally found in things like milk, eggs, broccoli and mushrooms.

Foods high in magnesium, such as spinach and sweet potatoes, can also help with headaches. Siegel says the bottom line is a healthy diet can help migraine sufferers.

hpycmpr155 March 15 2014 at 6:29 AM

I have had SEVERE migraines for 40+ years.
This article was useless dribble.

bocavert March 15 2014 at 9:01 AM

We all have different triggers for migraines, I existed without eating anything smoked; like bacon, hot dogs, baloney, most soft or aged cheeses [nowdays the smoking process has changed]; Milk products, yogurt, no ice cream as a kid, especially milk chocolates. Any fermented or alcohol beverages and MSG in Chinese foods. I figured this out a a kid. Trust your instincts, trust your gut, not what you crave. I also took note that moldy pepper treated with brine solution used in pepper sauces could end a migraine. Tabasco was used to stop food poisoning during the Civil War, probably a precursor to penicillan, what do I ? know,

hussjphplh March 15 2014 at 9:25 AM

You are what you eat is sooooo true! I give up junk food, chocolate and beer for 10 weeks every year for the biggest loser @ work. It takes about 2 weeks to get the toxins out of my body and then I am migraine free for the last 8 weeks. The contest ends on March 17th and I will be back to migraines which will be my fault! I will try the B2 though????? I don't believe stress causes it, maybe the junk you eat and DRINK when your stressed out is????

lorinsix March 15 2014 at 10:14 AM

It takes 100mg Imitrex plus two Advil for me to function with a migraine; and believe me, I have tried everything from Botox to Acupuncture and changing my diet.

lrichardsrn lorinsix March 15 2014 at 10:24 AM

maybe next time you oughta eat a head a broccoli, 2 sweet potatoes a bunch a spinach, swig it down w/some milk and save the imitrex lol

Big T March 15 2014 at 10:31 AM

will B-12 also help for "Cluster Headaches?"

Sunsetranch55 Big T March 15 2014 at 11:13 AM

I had cluster migraines for 28 years, terrible pain. It was suggested I have an ALCAT, food sensitivity test done. This is not a food allergy test. I had done that in the past and found no significant allergic reactions to any food groups. I agreed to the ALCAT test as it was a blood study of MY food sensitivities, not an overall study of groups of people. I also saw no harm intrying as no doctor was ever able to eliminate my 'clusters'. I was on Oxygen therapy which did help reduce the pain but not the frequency or the headaches. I eliminated the highly sensitive foods from my diet that the ALCAT test found and have been headache free for over 2 years. No clusters, no headache of any kind. It's been terrific!

johnb4747 March 15 2014 at 10:56 AM

Most people who have never had a migraine probably confuse it with an ordinary headache. A migraine frequently starts with an "aura" or visual disturbance lasting for half an hour or more, after which a terrible headache often accompanied with nausea follows. Sometimes the sufferer feels sick for days afterwards. I think the majority of migraine sufferers -- and it really is suffering -- have some medical problem other than food sensitivity.

NAOMI johnb4747 March 15 2014 at 11:59 AM

I totally agree with you. I have a friend who has cut out foods and incorporated others in an attempt to help with her migranes. She is obsessive-compulsive and I have told her that I think this may contribute to her migranes, but I am not a dr. and she is my friend who will continue her oc behavior and I will continue to love her as a friend, even though I feel she could make changes.

cllevalley johnb4747 March 15 2014 at 2:32 PM

I have had migraines for over 50 years. While food isn't a trigger for me the smell might be. My Dr. that finally brought me some relief describes migraines as any headache (not sinus) that repeats frequently. Often there are optic problems. I do get the "aura" at times. As I normally drink a lot of coffee so not having caffeine can trigger for me. I didn't always drink this much coffee but once when I had left the hospital for treatment my husband asked if we could stop for a cup on the way home. I then learned it seemed to help the meds calm my migraine.

wlh1923 March 15 2014 at 7:29 PM

Red wine is number 1 for me and chocolate second. Small glass of red wine makes
it feel like I have a tightening metal band around my head and forehead. Closest
thing to a natural migrane I've found.

westdrugs March 15 2014 at 7:20 PM

MSG Monosodium Glutamate !!!!!!!!!!!!!

gloria March 15 2014 at 7:05 PM

another cause would be diet soda!!

Bill March 15 2014 at 4:51 PM

I get a headache from trying to eat a pint of ice cream in one bite.

gloria Bill March 15 2014 at 7:07 PM