Foods that are key in causing (and relieving) headaches

Foods That Are Key in Causing — and Relieving — Headaches

Ever wonder what causes a headache? Or what could cure that achy pain? Turns out, those answers might be in your refrigerator.

Fox News medical analyst Dr. Marc Siegel joined "Fox & Friends" to explain headaches can be related to what you eat and drink.

BRIAN KILMEADE: 'Solve my headache. Tell me with truths.'
SIEGEL: 'You go to too many ballgames. And at those ballgames you're drinking beer, you're having hot dogs, well those cause migraines.'

Unfortunately, those ballgame favorites have chemicals in them that provoke migraines.

And don't go reaching for chocolate either. The caffeine in it can also trigger headaches.

WebMD says stress is the No. 1 migraine trigger and that by some estimates, food and drinks could be responsible for up to 30 percent of migraines.

Good news, though. There are likely some foods in your fridge that can help ease headaches as well.

'Riboflavin is a real secret. It's vitamin B-2 and it decreases pain.'

One neurologist at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center says vitamin B-2 can decrease the severity and frequency of headaches for some patients. It's also safe for pregnant women.

Vitamin B-2 is naturally found in things like milk, eggs, broccoli and mushrooms.

Foods high in magnesium, such as spinach and sweet potatoes, can also help with headaches. Siegel says the bottom line is a healthy diet can help migraine sufferers.

hpycmpr155 March 15 2014 at 6:29 AM

I have had SEVERE migraines for 40+ years.
This article was useless dribble.

lorinsix March 15 2014 at 10:14 AM

It takes 100mg Imitrex plus two Advil for me to function with a migraine; and believe me, I have tried everything from Botox to Acupuncture and changing my diet.

lrichardsrn lorinsix March 15 2014 at 10:24 AM

maybe next time you oughta eat a head a broccoli, 2 sweet potatoes a bunch a spinach, swig it down w/some milk and save the imitrex lol

hpycmpr155 March 15 2014 at 8:05 AM

They missed oregano.
Oh..
and the screaming blinding raging wrencing migaines that come out of NO WHERE for NO REASON.
They missed those too.

hussjphplh March 15 2014 at 9:25 AM

You are what you eat is sooooo true! I give up junk food, chocolate and beer for 10 weeks every year for the biggest loser @ work. It takes about 2 weeks to get the toxins out of my body and then I am migraine free for the last 8 weeks. The contest ends on March 17th and I will be back to migraines which will be my fault! I will try the B2 though????? I don't believe stress causes it, maybe the junk you eat and DRINK when your stressed out is????

bnevrgivup March 15 2014 at 7:58 AM

Try using Ice wrapped in a wash cloth place it directly on the area that is in pain on your scalp and lie down with the cold wash cloth on the area of sensitivity. You will probably fall asleep with the cool compress and wake up rested and without that head ache!

Big T March 15 2014 at 10:31 AM

will B-12 also help for "Cluster Headaches?"

Sunsetranch55 Big T March 15 2014 at 11:13 AM

I had cluster migraines for 28 years, terrible pain. It was suggested I have an ALCAT, food sensitivity test done. This is not a food allergy test. I had done that in the past and found no significant allergic reactions to any food groups. I agreed to the ALCAT test as it was a blood study of MY food sensitivities, not an overall study of groups of people. I also saw no harm intrying as no doctor was ever able to eliminate my 'clusters'. I was on Oxygen therapy which did help reduce the pain but not the frequency or the headaches. I eliminated the highly sensitive foods from my diet that the ALCAT test found and have been headache free for over 2 years. No clusters, no headache of any kind. It's been terrific!

bocavert March 15 2014 at 9:01 AM

We all have different triggers for migraines, I existed without eating anything smoked; like bacon, hot dogs, baloney, most soft or aged cheeses [nowdays the smoking process has changed]; Milk products, yogurt, no ice cream as a kid, especially milk chocolates. Any fermented or alcohol beverages and MSG in Chinese foods. I figured this out a a kid. Trust your instincts, trust your gut, not what you crave. I also took note that moldy pepper treated with brine solution used in pepper sauces could end a migraine. Tabasco was used to stop food poisoning during the Civil War, probably a precursor to penicillan, what do I ? know,

jenrg19737 March 15 2014 at 7:01 AM

I suffer from migraines. So if they are saying caffeine can trigger the problem, then why do docs prescribe medications that contain caffeine?

Pamela jenrg19737 March 15 2014 at 8:45 AM

google the rebound effect

ropeted March 15 2014 at 6:57 AM

Those who don't suffer headaches,,,can write all the articles they want,,,,but they will never know

dan_bryston March 15 2014 at 8:42 AM

I have to laugh at some people who tell me they have a bad migraine headache yet I see them still going about their daily routine anyone like myself who truly get real migraines knows that you become nothing more then a vegetable who cannot function while in migraine for myself I can work thru most any pain except when I get a migraine usually at least 2x a week there is nothing worse in my opinion.

Penny Cranston dan_bryston March 15 2014 at 9:51 AM

I'm on Imitrix 100mg - take 1/2 pill at start of headache and can still function unless I see chevrons (flashing lights) then I take full 100mg. I've had migrains as a child and am now in my 80s.

shasha1960 dan_bryston March 15 2014 at 12:41 PM

Dan I agree ...I get migraines so bad at times that I can not function at all..the other day I could not drive my daughter to school it was soooooo sickening bad...yet my friend snark at me and said "well I go to work with mine"......there is a migraine.....and then there is a "MIGRAINE"....it can fluctuate in severity.....either way they are bad,....but certainly differ in degree.